Split MIDI out setting?

Split MIDI out setting?
« on: August 05, 2017, 08:54:55 AM »
Is it possible to split the MIDI out signal of the rev2, so that only one side of the keyboard is sending MIDI out? I was hoping to be able to simultaneously use my rev2 as a controller and a synth.

Re: Split MIDI out setting?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 12:18:24 PM »
If you're set to MIDI channel 1, switch to Multimode in Global and select Split A | B on the panel, the lower half of the keyboard will transmit on channel 1 and the upper half on channel 2.  You can just make your external synth to only respond to channel 1, for example.
Whatever you set the REV2's MIDI channel to, the left-hand side (A) transmits on that one, while the right-hand side (B) is the next channel up.  But what if you set the REV2 to channel 16, I hear you ask?  Well, A goes to channel 16 and B wraps around to channel 1.
I've just tested all of that (O/S 1.0.7.2) and it works.
DSI: P12M, Rev2-16.  Roland: JV-2080, JX-03, JU-06, JP-08, TR-08, TR-09, Moog Subsequent 37, Alesis QSR, E-Mu Proteus 2000, Novation Mininova, Yamaha Reface DX, Marshall JMP-1, Boss GX-700, Oberheim GM 400, mostly Yamaha guitars apart from a Fender Telecaster.  Oh, and lots of cables.

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 12:29:51 PM »
Although I think I have found a bug (or it's intentional).

In Multimode, MIDI commands are only transmitted on the lower channel.  Pitch-bend and program changes, for example, aren't sent out on the second channel.
DSI: P12M, Rev2-16.  Roland: JV-2080, JX-03, JU-06, JP-08, TR-08, TR-09, Moog Subsequent 37, Alesis QSR, E-Mu Proteus 2000, Novation Mininova, Yamaha Reface DX, Marshall JMP-1, Boss GX-700, Oberheim GM 400, mostly Yamaha guitars apart from a Fender Telecaster.  Oh, and lots of cables.

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 12:08:54 AM »
"Program Layer B data is completely ignored in Multi Mode"
page 15 in the manual. global settings section. #12 (multimode)

could this explain?

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 11:33:41 PM »
"Program Layer B data is completely ignored in Multi Mode"
page 15 in the manual. global settings section. #12 (multimode)

could this explain?

no, multimode doesnt work atm, and the statement that "Program Layer B data is completely ignored in Multi Mode" is misleading. The way multimode should operate is that Layer A is controlled for example via midi channel 1, than the  layer b is controlled via midi channel 2, but OS is bugged and atm u cannot play/controll both parts independently at the same time. The way it works now is if you dont play same notes/pitches at the same time on both layers/parts. Therefore u cannot play the same notes at the same time on two different midi channels in multimode.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 11:35:23 PM by borisf »

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 10:58:42 AM »
no, multimode doesnt work atm, and the statement that "Program Layer B data is completely ignored in Multi Mode" is misleading. The way multimode should operate is that Layer A is controlled for example via midi channel 1, than the  layer b is controlled via midi channel 2, but OS is bugged and atm u cannot play/controll both parts independently at the same time. The way it works now is if you dont play same notes/pitches at the same time on both layers/parts. Therefore u cannot play the same notes at the same time on two different midi channels in multimode.

OP is asking about MIDI Out, while what you're saying here refers only to how they synth currently is responding to received MIDI data when Multi Mode is enabled. The verified Multi Mode bugs are on our list to fix. I understand that you are frustrated by them, but please be patient.
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 11:15:10 AM »
Is it possible to split the MIDI out signal of the rev2, so that only one side of the keyboard is sending MIDI out? I was hoping to be able to simultaneously use my rev2 as a controller and a synth.

Hi jburzy01. I'm finding your inquiry a bit vague. If you provide a more in-depth description of what you are trying to achieve--as in x piece of gear controlling y piece of gear, etc.--perhaps we can better offer suggestions.

As Bezoblika points out, with Multi Mode enabled along with Split, the keyboard will transmit MIDI note data independently on consecutive MIDI channels on either side of the split point. If you set the B layer Program Volume to zero, the B layer patch will not sound when you play the keyboard above the split point, and you could thus control another piece of gear in this manner with the synth only making sound from the A Layer when you play below the split point. This does mean that you would only have access to 1/2 of the voices in your Prophet Rev2, but it is achievable.

One thing to keep in mind as you're configuring your setup is that, while our instruments feature robust MIDI implementations, they are not designed to double as full fledged MIDI controllers, and thus will not have the flexibility of a dedicated controller keyboard in this regard. We design our UIs to serve the purpose of the instrument first and foremost, and aren't interested in compromising on this front in order to serve a purpose for which they are not intended. A dedicated MIDI controller keyboard will make a better MIDI controller than one of our instruments in most situations.
SEQUENTIAL