MultiMode Issue

MultiMode Issue
« on: August 03, 2017, 08:43:28 PM »
I have an issue with getting  Rev 2 (16 voice) to work in MultiMode. I followed the instructions in the manual but every time I exit the Global menu MultiMode goes back to ''off"? What am I doing wrong?

Re: MultiMode Issue
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 12:19:31 AM »
Anyone?

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 01:05:29 AM »
I'll try it when I'm at home, but it'll not be for another 11 hours.
DSI: P12M, Rev2-16.  Roland: JV-2080, JX-03, JU-06, JP-08, TR-08, TR-09, Moog Subsequent 37, Alesis QSR, E-Mu Proteus 2000, Novation Mininova, Yamaha Reface DX, Marshall JMP-1, Boss GX-700, Oberheim GM 400, mostly Yamaha guitars apart from a Fender Telecaster.  Oh, and lots of cables.

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 07:54:02 AM »
I'll try it when I'm at home, but it'll not be for another 11 hours.

Thanks "bez oblika", much appreciated  ;).

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 11:12:31 AM »
OP,

Assuming you're on the latest version software yes?

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 11:18:33 AM »
Hi borisf,

not on my machine.
It holds the on or off.

Do you have the newest firmware?

br

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 12:07:11 PM »
Works here with 1.0.7.2
DSI: P12M, Rev2-16.  Roland: JV-2080, JX-03, JU-06, JP-08, TR-08, TR-09, Moog Subsequent 37, Alesis QSR, E-Mu Proteus 2000, Novation Mininova, Yamaha Reface DX, Marshall JMP-1, Boss GX-700, Oberheim GM 400, mostly Yamaha guitars apart from a Fender Telecaster.  Oh, and lots of cables.

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 09:24:30 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I spoke with DSI today and there are definitely some issues  with multimode which  will be addressed in the next OS update.

Here is whats happening if someone would like to test it.

Latest OS 1.0.7.2

In order to play two different sounds/patches at the same time when MultiMode is set to "ON".

The base channel selected in the Global menu is set to 1. Different patches on both layers, or same patches, it doesn't really make any difference.

Scenario 1:

Cubase DAW, two midi tracks, one midi track set to channel 1, the other one set to channel 2.

Split A/B and Stack A+B on Rev 2, both OFF

in order to play two different sounds at the same time ,notes (pitch) on one or the other midi channel needs to be transposed. If both midi channels are playing the same notes (same pitch) Rev 2 is ONLY PLAYING THE SOUND ON MIDI CHANNEL 1.

Scenario 2:

Cubase, two midi tracks, one midi track set to channel 1, the other one set to channel 2.

Stack A+B on Rev 2 is ON

in order to play two different sounds at the same time notes (pitch) on one or the other midi channel needs to be transposed. If both midi channels are playing the same notes (same pitch) Rev 2 is NOT PLAYING ANY SOUNDS.

Scenario 3:

Split A/B on Rev 2 is set to ON

Same as scenario 1

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 10:37:58 AM »
Thanks for the replies, I spoke with DSI today and there are definitely some issues  with multimode which  will be addressed in the next OS update.

Here is whats happening if someone would like to test it.

Latest OS 1.0.7.2

In order to play two different sounds/patches at the same time when MultiMode is set to "ON".

The base channel selected in the Global menu is set to 1. Different patches on both layers, or same patches, it doesn't really make any difference.

Scenario 1:

Cubase DAW, two midi tracks, one midi track set to channel 1, the other one set to channel 2.

Split A/B and Stack A+B on Rev 2, both OFF

in order to play two different sounds at the same time ,notes (pitch) on one or the other midi channel needs to be transposed. If both midi channels are playing the same notes (same pitch) Rev 2 is ONLY PLAYING THE SOUND ON MIDI CHANNEL 1.

Scenario 2:

Cubase, two midi tracks, one midi track set to channel 1, the other one set to channel 2.

Stack A+B on Rev 2 is ON

in order to play two different sounds at the same time notes (pitch) on one or the other midi channel needs to be transposed. If both midi channels are playing the same notes (same pitch) Rev 2 is NOT PLAYING ANY SOUNDS.

Scenario 3:

Split A/B on Rev 2 is set to ON

Same as scenario 1

I can confirm this, using Windoze 8 and Bitwig 2. Also it seems to be possible to address, from the same patch, layer A from midi channel 1 (when set to the base channel globally) and layer 2 from midi channel 2 if the Rev2 is set to multimode. You will need to manually choose the program. Sending a program change on each MIDI channel really confuses things, I haven't been able to figure out what is going on in that case.
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 12:26:04 AM »
Andy from DSI support has confirmed to me as well the missing note on Layer B / second MIDI channel issue.

He also mentions some confusion caused by the documentation in the Rev2 manual. When the (global) MIDI channel is set to anything but all and multimode is on. Layer A is available on that configured MIDI channel  and Layer B is available on the next consecutive MIDI channel. Only when the (global) MIDI channel is set to all, Layer A is addressable over MIDI and layer B is ignored. As is stated in the manual, only the manual omits to explicitly mention this.

Good news as the note bug is being addressed and I can keep my current setup in my studio: dual stereo out into 4 separate mixer channels, DAW addressing both layers independently.

I must say as a first time Dave Smith Instruments customer I am very impressed with their support and feedback. Confirms once again purchasing the Rev2 has been a very good decision.
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

dsetto

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 02:20:43 AM »
Thank you for reporting, Gerry.

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 12:00:45 PM »
Andy from DSI support has confirmed to me as well the missing note on Layer B / second MIDI channel issue.

I must say as a first time Dave Smith Instruments customer I am very impressed with their support and feedback. Confirms once again purchasing the Rev2 has been a very good decision.

Yes I'm with you totally on this, it's a big deal IMO and adds to the overall enjoyment of owning a DS synth.
I'd imagine that for many (like me) a Dave Smith synth is a BIG purchase, so knowing that they respond to issues rather than just ignore them or even worse just simply abandon a product after 12 months (yes Roland I'm looking at you) is much to their credit, raises them above the rest and for me it is the reason I have a Rev2 arriving tomorrow to join my Prophet 12, instead of a System 8, Peak or DM12.
I think the support of their products is excellent - well done DSI, please keep it up! :)

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 02:31:19 PM »
Yes - thanks for the help in this thread.

I tried for ages to get multi mode to work on Global MIDI channel 15 (and second on 16) with no joy.

In the end I changed the channel arbitrarily to MIDI channel 7 (and 8 ) and it worked! 

Separate outs too which was something I really wanted.