Prophet 08 + PEK?

Prophet 08 + PEK?
« on: July 31, 2017, 12:34:40 PM »
There are plenty of 08 vs PEK threads, but curious how many use them together. I had a 08 years ago and really enjoyed it. Now I have a PEK, but have never played them side by side. Are they as similar as people say? It doesn't seem like it to me, but maybe my memory isn't that great! I'm looking to replace the pristine sound of my Nord Wave with something that can get a bit grittier for pads, strings, etc. Thanks!!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 01:08:32 PM by sterling mann »

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Prophet 08 + PEK?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 01:30:26 PM »
I use them together and find that they compliment each other perfectly, thanks to an obvious similarity in tone; and yet, each instrument has much to distinguish it from the other.  I would never think of using one to fill the other's place, even though it's possible in some instances.  The Poly Evolver Keyboard has advantages and strengths, but so, to, does the Prophet '08.  For example, the P'08 has a better sawtooth solo sound, whereas, the PEK's version of the same sounds a tad too thin.  But then, the PEK offers many swirling ethereal digital pads that the P'08 cannot even approximate.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 02:19:46 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Re: Prophet 08 + PEK?
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 02:00:04 PM »
I use them together and find that they compliment each other perfectly, thanks to an obvious similarity in tone; and yet, each instrument has much to distinguish it from the other.  I would never think of using one to fill the other's place, even though it's possible in some instances.  The Poly Evolver Keyboard has advantages and strengths, but so, to, does the Prophet '08.

Thank you for the response! That was kind of my takeaway without ever having played them together, but reading all the VS threads/opinions had me wondering. I'll probably go for it!