I'm on my second REV2 due to bad keys from F4 to B4

Murphy

• Keyboard, French Horn
I'm on my second REV2 due to bad keys from F4 to B4
« on: July 28, 2017, 12:25:44 PM »
Principally a piano player, I also play the organ --> but I really like the REV2. This is a new direction for me. I use canned synth sounds on other keyboards, but this is the most exciting and dynamic instrument I've played in years. However, I am on my second REV2, because my F4 to B4 keys play as if someone played on them thousands of times. They are noisy and click when the keys return to the top. None of the other keys do that. The other keys are smooth but the F4-B4 keys are not. I switched the first REV2 out with a different REV2, and lo and behold my second one has the exact same problem. I unpacked each one from the box. The new keyboard feels great, except for when I start playing the F4 through B4 keys. I contacted support at 9 AM PT this morning, but I haven't heard back. All of my other keys play smoothly and quietly, whereas the F4-B4 keys feel like they are from a cheaper keyboard. I bet no one else has this problem but I thought I'd ask. Maybe I'm expecting too much from the Fatar(?) keyboard? I could always MIDI a different keyboard to it. Regardless, the REV2 is awesome. Thanks for any comments.

Re: I'm on my second REV2 due to bad keys from F4 to B4
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 03:53:02 AM »
Dsi Support are quick to reply.

What country are you from?

Ive a launch day ob6 (serial 100) and rev 2 (serial 587) and the keybeds are choice. No issues with them.

Murphy

• Keyboard, French Horn
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 06:18:39 AM »
This REV2 is #157, I don't have the first REV2's serial number handy. It is a very good keyboard, except for the key range I mentioned. Except for these keys, I like the way the keyboard feels a lot. The place I bought this from will exchange it again (no issues whatsoever), but I don't want to exchange if this a characteristic of the synth. Sounds like it's not. Thanks for your feedback.

Murphy

• Keyboard, French Horn
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 08:00:04 AM »
Sorry -- USA. Based out of Nashville, TN, USA but I am out of town a lot.

dsetto

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 09:53:49 PM »
Sounds like unfortunate luck. I pay attention to action. All my 61 keys are uniform, smooth, and high quality. Although I only have experience with my one, I feel confident to say what you experienced (twice) is not the norm. Good luck in getting it sorted out. You can see it'll be worth it. Surely, a poor taste. I'm learning, buying things, things happen. One would hope it wouldn't. But it does. Different reasons.

Murphy

• Keyboard, French Horn
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 03:35:02 PM »
I just heard from DSI support. They sent documentation on how to change out keys and it's straight forward. I'm not situated where I can swap the noisy key with a quiet key but look forward to trying their suggestion soon. Support also said they have some other people with similar issues, but there are no patterns pointing to an assembly/manufacturing issue. Also, DSI got back to me in one business day and was clear about what to do. Thanks DSI.

Murphy

• Keyboard, French Horn
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 01:00:33 PM »
I got all ready to swap keys around, but when I took the top panel off, the key noises disappeared. It appears that on this REV2 (and the first one I had), the keys from F4 to B4 lightly hit the inside top of the panel. In the picture below, you will notice some white markings on the inside of the top panel where the F4, G4, and B4 keys are lightly hitting. Out of curiosity, I rubbed the white spots off and put the panel back on. I then played those same keys again, and then took off the panel again. The white spots reappeared in the same locations. Again, exactly the same thing occurred with the first REV2 I had -- although I'm saying that only because the key noise was the same. Did not take the first REV2's top panel off. Sent this information off to DSI's great support, and look forward to knowing what to do next. Love this REV2, that's for sure!   

Murphy

• Keyboard, French Horn
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 03:02:41 PM »
DSI support came through! They checked a unit at their office and found the same issue that I had. But they had an easy solution for me, that took about a minute to do. If you have this issue, be sure and contact them because they sent me pictures and excellent instructions to fix this issue. A minor fix, that's for sure. Thanks, DSI support. I thought I couldn't love my REV2 anymore, but guess what -- I do. It's nice to have a quiet keyboard. I also like their support philosophy and instrument design that makes it easy to service the Prophet in the field. Who wants to ship an entire unit back and forth? Not me.