Will we see a new Evolver?

LoboLives

Will we see a new Evolver?
« on: July 28, 2017, 08:47:36 AM »
With DSI sort of taking a nod back to the Prophet 08 with the Rev2 could DSI's next instrument be a new Evolver or at least a synth heavily inspired by the Evolver? I'd love to see it happen. Not sure what else they can do in the analog only realm...save for multitimbrality.

Re: Will we see a new Evolver?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 04:15:41 PM »
I'd love to see that too.

As for multitimbral synths something like the 6 Track or Max would be nice again.
https://soundcloud.com/the-aural

https://www.facebook.com/auralproductions/

Ensoniq SQ80, Kawai K5, Yamaha CS6x & DX200, Alesis ion, Akai Z4, DSI gear: {Evolver Desktop, Poly Evolver Keyboard, Mopho x4, Tempest}, Waldorf Blofeld & Streichfett, Moog Freqbox, Roland R8 & R8m

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 05:41:13 PM »
With DSI sort of taking a nod back to the Prophet 08 with the Rev2 could DSI's next instrument be a new Evolver or at least a synth heavily inspired by the Evolver? I'd love to see it happen. Not sure what else they can do in the analog only realm...save for multitimbrality.

Have you tried the Prophet 12?  If so, did you think there was a similarity between the two instruments?

LoboLives

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 09:02:19 AM »

Have you tried the Prophet 12?  If so, did you think there was a similarity between the two instruments?

I did try it. The Prophet 12 does get some great tones but i think the Poly Evolver is more versitile sonically. The 12 seems to be about getting an analog sound with digital oscillators. You can get some nice digital sounding stuff out of it but it's still missing those VS waves. It also a bit limited in effects.

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 11:59:10 AM »
I think the P12 basic oscillator waveforms are extremely similar to the Evolver analog oscillators, I always thought they modelled them on the Evolver.

It would have been nice to have the digital waveforms as well.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 02:29:05 PM »
The catch with the Poly Evolver Keyboard is that you can get attached to its specific wave shapes.  I've adopted these as the overall sound that I want to have, and it's hard to imagine composing or improvising without them.  Granted, many are musically unusable, but a substantial number are quite beautiful when tastefully set.

Having recently spent some quality time with a Prophet 12, I can finally say with certainty that it's a superb synthesizer.  It's right up there with the other instruments in the DSI line up.  But it has also shown me all the more what an exceptional synthesizer is the PEK.  The good old Evolver is totally unique, a bit unpredictable, and for a partly digital instrument, has an unpolished rawness that has a musical charm that's hard to put aside.  And that's a key difference between the two instruments: whereas the Poly Evolver has a rawness that hints at earlier digital instruments, the P12 is the ultimate in polished and refined synthesis.  In a sense, it's perfect.  But I don't think I could blindly recognize the voice of a P12, whereas I can recognize the voice of an Evolver in a second.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 05:38:48 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 09:46:58 PM »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 08:15:08 PM »
I couldn't hope for a better instrument than a Poly Evolver Keyboard Rev2.  Fixed bugs, cleaned up wave shapes, more voices, perhaps the VS's joystick.  What could be better?

LoboLives

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 04:54:44 AM »
I couldn't hope for a better instrument than a Poly Evolver Keyboard Rev2.  Fixed bugs, cleaned up wave shapes, more voices, perhaps the VS's joystick.  What could be better?

It would be nice to see Dave and John Bowen collaborate again. I still say a 4 engine synth would be wild including 2 analog oscillators and two digital oscillators with one of them including samples.

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 10:08:37 PM »

Now that's something I may well buy :)

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 05:00:03 AM »
Now the 08 Rev2 has emerged, maybe there is the tiniest ray of hope?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 05:59:58 AM »
I wouldn't, if I were you.  We've registered this hope many times with DSI staff, only to be told each time, "Sorry".

LoboLives

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 05:00:13 AM »
I wouldn't, if I were you.  We've registered this hope many times with DSI staff, only to be told each time, "Sorry".

Honestly they've said "no" to a few things before that ended up coming to fruition. VCOs, revisions of older instruments, so who knows.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 06:01:46 AM »
That's been my attitude, too.  I'm just saying that they've been especially clear and consistently negative with our PEK Mk II request, which has been brought up so many times and for so long.

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 09:37:41 AM »
That's been my attitude, too.  I'm just saying that they've been especially clear and consistently negative with our PEK Mk II request, which has been brought up so many times and for so long.

Given the initially articulated resistance towards producing VCO-based synths or something like the Rev2, revisiting the Evolver engine does seem likelier than ever.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 09:40:17 AM by Paul Dither »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 09:41:27 AM »
I've been hopeful in the past, but you guys helped to turn me around.  And now you've turned around?

LoboLives

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2017, 10:29:52 AM »
There was a recent video of Dave giving a tour of his studio and he was showing off the Evolver. He said “A lot of people didn’t even know about this thing when it was out and now a lot of people are asking about it. You can get into the VS and PPG stuff...it’s really neat.”

So perhaps we should hold off until next Namm (I am) but I have a feeling we will see the return of a Evolver style synth with improvements.

I just hope it’s blue. Lol

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2017, 11:16:03 AM »
You're not giving up on this, are you?  Well, I'm not going to suffer the disappointment, so I won't even think about it.

An Evolver that was any color other than blue wouldn't sound like an Evolver.  ;D

LoboLives

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2017, 11:54:13 AM »
You're not giving up on this, are you?  Well, I'm not going to suffer the disappointment, so I won't even think about it.

An Evolver that was any color other than blue wouldn't sound like an Evolver.  ;D

We shall see at Namm.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2017, 01:51:29 PM »
Did I not read somewhere here on the forum about someone saying that Dave had said something in the likes of "We're moving back a bit now" or something like that? ... if that is a clue to what he's up to, it COULD very well be an Evolver REV2... especially if many want it now, and people here on the forums have been drooling for one for a long time...

We'll see at NAMM... I doubt it too, but I would not totally loose hope... the REV2 was a bit of a surprise, and if the P08, then why not the Evolver? ... I'd sure be putting a new Evolver REV2 keyboard on my list... that is for sure...
If you need me, follow the shadows...