Will we see a new Evolver?

dslsynth

Re: Will we see a new Evolver?
« Reply #100 on: February 14, 2018, 09:07:43 AM »
The risk of too much menu diving.

The UI side of an multi-timbral synthesizer will obviously be challenging. However, I was only considering the internals of multi-timbral operation which would make it an MIDI only implementation. Something that would be perfectly fine with me!
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

LoboLives

« Reply #101 on: February 16, 2018, 10:55:32 AM »

The UI side of an multi-timbral synthesizer will obviously be challenging. However, I was only considering the internals of multi-timbral operation which would make it an MIDI only implementation. Something that would be perfectly fine with me!

I think, even just four part multitimbrality would be better than nothing. It would at least bring something different to the current market. Even if it's only four voices and each engine is modeled after the AS-1.

« Reply #102 on: February 16, 2018, 11:03:33 AM »

I think, even just four part multitimbrality would be better than nothing. It would at least bring something different to the current market. Even if it's only four voices and each engine is modeled after the AS-1.

The more challenging exercise lies with crossbar routing for the various FX processors (do you add four engines? 1 mod + 1 delay per part a la the AS-1? 2 global reverbs?), and handling the inheritance of program or split-/layer-specific settings to four parts. That said: I think that the AS-1 could be a good model, using the Prophet-6 (or OB-6!) voice cards and a bit of trickery on the FX side of things.

Or a brand-new Evolver voice card :)
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

LoboLives

« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2018, 10:31:24 AM »

The more challenging exercise lies with crossbar routing for the various FX processors (do you add four engines? 1 mod + 1 delay per part a la the AS-1? 2 global reverbs?), and handling the inheritance of program or split-/layer-specific settings to four parts. That said: I think that the AS-1 could be a good model, using the Prophet-6 (or OB-6!) voice cards and a bit of trickery on the FX side of things.

Or a brand-new Evolver voice card :)

I’d probably have one effect per separate engine in the “Pro-4” otherwise it would get messy.

« Reply #104 on: February 17, 2018, 06:16:00 PM »
I’d probably have one effect per separate engine in the “Pro-4” otherwise it would get messy.

Yeah, that's been a bit of a topic of debate for the Rev2: specifically, in the form of complaints that one can only use one effect per split/layer, etc.

Frankly, for many, the effects in the AS-1 are enough.

And, as a point of reference, the Korg Prologue allows one to route one or both parts to each effect (Mod or Delay/Reverb), or to turn off each effect globally.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 06:21:41 PM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000