Odd problem with Rev2 and MIDI/DAW

Odd problem with Rev2 and MIDI/DAW
« on: July 27, 2017, 04:03:45 PM »
Hey all,

I figure I'm probably doing something idiotic, so I figure I could come to you with this issue before asking for tech support.
I've been learning my new DSI Rev2 (it's a wonderful instrument), and have started to get into integrating it into my workflow, which uses FL Studio as a DAW.

The root problem I have is that something very peculiar occurs when you start or stop playback in the DAW: The patch gets altered and becomes supremely 'tinny.' I opted to verify this wasn't some setting issue, so I blanked out a patch and used the canned, generic, default patch you get from Global->24. Basic Program and writing that default to memory (hitting write again). Then I just hit 'stop' on my DAW and poof. It goes tinny. If I switch to the next program, and then back, it goes back to normal.

https://soundcloud.com/formulaxfd/dsi-rev2-oddproblem/s-TvFnF

Now, in order to prove this is a DAW problem and not a Rev2 problem, I tried this with Ableton. It still does it. I tried it with my Kawai ES100 ... it still does this behavior.

So at this point, I'm down to 'something isn't right with my Rev2.' I've gone through each MIDI setting, and the only thing which stops this from happening happens to make the instrument not respond to *anything* MIDI.

What am I doing wrong, or have set wrong?

Thanks!

cbmd

• Sequential
Re: Odd problem with Rev2 and MIDI/DAW
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 04:23:16 PM »
The best thing to do would be to check whether any unexpected MIDI data is being sent to the synth from your DAW when you start playback.

We recommend the following two free applications for use:
www.snoize.com/midimonitor
www.midiox.com
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 05:28:22 PM »
Here is the message dump from MIDI-OX when I do the start and stop:
 TIMESTAMP IN PORT STATUS DATA1 DATA2 CHAN NOTE EVENT               
 00028008   3  --     B0    65    00    1  ---  CC: RPN MSB           
 00028009   3  --     B0    64    00    1  ---  CC: RPN LSB           
 0002800A   3  --     B0    06    0C    1  ---  CC: Data Entry MSB   
 0002800B   3  --     B0    0A    40    1  ---  CC: PAN               
 0002800C   3  --     B0    07    64    1  ---  CC: Volume           
 0002800D   3  --     E0    00    40    1  ---  Pitch Bend           
 00028520   3  --     B0    65    00    1  ---  CC: RPN MSB           
 00028521   3  --     B0    64    00    1  ---  CC: RPN LSB           
 00028522   3  --     B0    06    0C    1  ---  CC: Data Entry MSB   
 00028523   3  --     B0    0A    40    1  ---  CC: PAN               
 00028524   3  --     B0    07    64    1  ---  CC: Volume           
 00028525   3  --     E0    00    40    1  ---  Pitch Bend           
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 05:30:01 PM by FormulaXFD »

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 12:52:33 AM »
I had this exact problem and found that if I disable ‘Send MIDI pan / vol / pitch’ in the MIDI Out plugin the problem goes away. Posting this for anyone who experiences the problem and ends up here.

It would seem normal to want to send pan / vol / pitch data though, so still not sure what’s going on. Those pitch bend messages OP found look suspicious. Did you guys ever get to the bottom of it?

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 08:53:28 AM »
This might sound too obvious, but are you making sure that you have no MIDI loop issues? I have run into similar problems when I'm accidentally routing the MIDI from the REV2 back to the REV2. Usually it's noticeable doubled notes, but sometime is can manifest in weird ways, especially if there's any automation on the track.

Hey all,

I figure I'm probably doing something idiotic, so I figure I could come to you with this issue before asking for tech support.
I've been learning my new DSI Rev2 (it's a wonderful instrument), and have started to get into integrating it into my workflow, which uses FL Studio as a DAW.

The root problem I have is that something very peculiar occurs when you start or stop playback in the DAW: The patch gets altered and becomes supremely 'tinny.' I opted to verify this wasn't some setting issue, so I blanked out a patch and used the canned, generic, default patch you get from Global->24. Basic Program and writing that default to memory (hitting write again). Then I just hit 'stop' on my DAW and poof. It goes tinny. If I switch to the next program, and then back, it goes back to normal.

https://soundcloud.com/formulaxfd/dsi-rev2-oddproblem/s-TvFnF

Now, in order to prove this is a DAW problem and not a Rev2 problem, I tried this with Ableton. It still does it. I tried it with my Kawai ES100 ... it still does this behavior.

So at this point, I'm down to 'something isn't right with my Rev2.' I've gone through each MIDI setting, and the only thing which stops this from happening happens to make the instrument not respond to *anything* MIDI.

What am I doing wrong, or have set wrong?

Thanks!

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 02:29:18 PM »

In my case I had local control off, but yeah, I noticed if I don't turn it off I get into problems.

It turns out that by default the FLStudio MIDI Out plugin does send a bunch of cc and pitch bend messages whenever you start playback, as noted by the OP. This is apparently by design. Maybe to ensure playback is as expected even if the hardware knobs are not in the right place, I don't know. I don't like it, personally, but they have provided a button to turn it off so that's ok.

I would prefer the DAW and the docs to be more explicit about what MIDI messages the plugin will generate and when, but they do give a strong hint if you look in the right place:

From the FLStudio docs:

"Send MIDI pan / vol / pitch - ONLY set this on if you intend to send Pan, Volume or Pitch-bend commands to the target device. OTHERWISE leave this off, as it can cause some devices to behave unpredictably when they receive these messages, when not supported."

So apparently the rev2 is one of "some devices".

I would presume if you actually do intend to send pan / vol / pitch messages you could set those parameters in the plugin to be as the rev2 expects them from the start.