Prophet 12 O/S version 1.3!

Prophet 12 O/S version 1.3!
« on: December 26, 2015, 11:36:44 PM »
First off, Happy Holidays and a Happy New year to you and yours!
Thank you so much for releasing this amazing new O/S version for the incredible P12.   

I love the new FM linear mode and the new FM sound bank, it really is fun and inspiring.

Thank you again!

Noah
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 11:38:50 PM by NoahK »

F5D

Re: Prophet 12 O/S version 1.3!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 12:24:41 PM »
Is the audio mod source in the mod matrix working now? I have not had possibility to install this yet.

dslsynth

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 12:30:37 PM »
Is the audio mod source in the mod matrix working now? I have not had possibility to install this yet.

Yup, right after the DC modulation source according to the information I got from DSI.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 12:49:41 PM »

Yup, right after the DC modulation source according to the information I got from DSI.

I'm sorry... but Audio Mod is NOT working....
If you need me, follow the shadows...

dslsynth

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 12:55:04 PM »

Oh, its there! Its just not working yet! . o O ( :-X )
#!/bin/sh

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 01:00:14 PM »

Oh, its there! Its just not working yet! . o O ( :-X )

Well... you could put it that way I guess  ;D ... still I'm amazed they forgot to include this again... it was told that it worked in a later beta that Carson had (in a thread on the other forum)... it's really rather confusing... but I've been trying to get this to work since the 1.3 OS, and I can guarantee, that it does not work no matter what I'm trying to do with it.... it simply has no effect whatsoever... just like in the previous public beta.

This is the last remaining bug that I can recall.... if this gets fixed P12 is nearing it's full potential.

dslsynth

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 01:32:49 PM »
This is the last remaining bug that I can recall.... if this gets fixed P12 is nearing it's full potential.

Oh it would still have been wonderful with phase modulation oscillators with feedback, a modulation sequencer and user waveshapes. But given how the instrument is designed I would agree with you that its complete once this bugs is fixed.
#!/bin/sh

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 01:40:55 PM »

Oh it would still have been wonderful with phase modulation oscillators with feedback, a modulation sequencer and user waveshapes. But given how the instrument is designed I would agree with you that its complete once this bugs is fixed.

I agree that it could be even better... but on the other hand, I think that DSI should stop when bugs have been fixed, and call it the day.... mainly because they have such a hard time keeping up with bug fixes on other products... so I'd advise DSI to do the same with other gear... just make them work as promised, and if new stuff is to be done (features), include them in new products instead.

This is of course my own personal opinion... .I'll just rather see a 100% working machine, than a lot of 95% finished ones with quirky features and operation.

Actualy I would accept for Audio Mod to not be there at all... it's not that important to me, I just have this feeling that if it's there... it should work! ... so either fix the darn thing, or completely remove it.

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 01:43:20 PM »
Actualy I would accept for Audio Mod to not be there at all... it's not that important to me, I just have this feeling that if it's there... it should work! ... so either fix the darn thing, or completely remove it.

I totally agree Razmo!

Martin

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 02:13:56 PM »
Ditto.  No single instrument needs to do everything.  Just let each one do what it's designed to do flawlessly.

dslsynth

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2015, 02:28:32 PM »
I agree that it could be even better... but on the other hand, I think that DSI should stop when bugs have been fixed, and call it the day.... mainly because they have such a hard time keeping up with bug fixes on other products...

Or do what they do now: backport once new features are stabilized in newer products there were developed for initially. This is for instance what happened with the MTS support that first appeared in Prophet-6 and now are supported in Prophet-12 as well.

I have to agree with you that fixing bugs in existing products are a well known topic of discussion when it comes to evolving DSI.
#!/bin/sh

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2015, 02:36:43 PM »
I'm content if an instrument does only that which it was originally intended to do, as advertised.  Sure, new features are great, but I don't personally like the long drawn-out development of an instrument.  Fix it and then move on to a new instrument.  I'm fine with Dave's personal view that the character of an instrument is determined both from what it can do and from what it cannot do.  That strikes me as commonsensical.  I don't want a Space Shuttle; I just want a music synthesizer without flaws.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 02:39:19 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

dslsynth

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2015, 02:46:04 PM »
I don't want a Space Shuttle; I just want a music synthesizer without flaws.

For the record I would rather like a Skylon. Translated into the context of this discussion that means a new take using new technology.
#!/bin/sh

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2015, 02:51:27 PM »
I guess, being a simple musician, I much prefer another sort of metaphor - something like a paint brush or a chisel.  Although there's plenty of advanced science in a synthesizer, for me it's only a means to a musical ends, and more of it is not always better than less.

dslsynth

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2015, 02:54:15 PM »
As for managing creativity I have to agree. But that doesn't mean that we cannot have instruments with a wider sonic span than currently possible! ;)
#!/bin/sh

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2015, 03:04:38 PM »
As for managing creativity I have to agree. But that doesn't mean that we cannot have instruments with a wider sonic span than currently possible! ;)

I agree with you.  I'm all for both.  But I do like to put in a word for pure music in the midst of all the techno-talk.

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2015, 03:19:19 PM »

Sorry for the silly question but what is the easiest way to describe how the Audio Mod source would be used in a preset? 

What destination would you see typical  routed from the Audio Mod source?

Thanks so much!

noah
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 03:20:54 PM by NoahK »

F5D

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2015, 11:30:38 PM »

Sorry for the silly question but what is the easiest way to describe how the Audio Mod source would be used in a preset? 

What destination would you see typical  routed from the Audio Mod source?

Thanks so much!

noah
Try audio mod as source to modulate filter cutoff, resonance, osc pitch or even tuned feedback amount or tuning for a starter. However, you will not hear anything in os 1.3, because the audio out mod source is not working. The audio out mod source is like the tuned feedback signal but without the tuning feature and you can use it as a mod source, not as an audio source. The tuned feedback sends part of the audio output of the synth back to the filter input as audio (after going through the tuned filter of the feedback path), but you cannot use that signal as a modulator. The audio mod allows the signal to be used as audio rate modulator. Of course it is possible to use also individual oscs as mod sources, but the audio out combines everything and can result in more organic sounds, because the audio out and mod bus form kind of a feedback loop, not from audio to audio, but from audio to selected modulation destination.

Pym, when is the final P12 OS 1.3.1 with audio out mod working coming out?  :D
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 11:41:15 PM by F5D »

lt773

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2015, 08:05:49 AM »
Pym, when is the final P12 OS 1.3.1 with audio out mod working coming out?  :D

+1 It's so very close!

dslsynth

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2015, 12:15:10 PM »
But I do like to put in a word for pure music in the midst of all the techno-talk.

Walk into any factory making paint for artists and you will see artists on one side discussing the colors they want and highly educated chemists in the other side realizing the products. Same with synthesizer: the artistic and the technical aspects.
#!/bin/sh