SoundTower Editor Released

SoundTower Editor Released
« on: July 19, 2017, 11:30:21 AM »
I just purchased my copy, but I thought I'd post the link here for anyone else that might want it.

http://www.soundtower.com/rev2/index.html

Bill

Re: SoundTower Editor Released
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 10:29:43 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, I'm waiting for a vest version hopefully
Synth Arsenal - Access Virus TI Polar, Moog Sub37, Nord A1, Nord Wave, DSI Prophet REV2, Roland TR8, Ableton Push 2

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 12:06:42 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, I'm waiting for a vest version hopefully
VST not Vest!
Synth Arsenal - Access Virus TI Polar, Moog Sub37, Nord A1, Nord Wave, DSI Prophet REV2, Roland TR8, Ableton Push 2

kmm08

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 11:25:37 AM »
Downloaded the demo and played around a bit with it but can't get it to work. It's connected properly in the Midi setup and Globals selected properly. If I select a patch on either the Rev2 itself or Soundtower editor, both reflect the correct patch. If I change a setting on the keyboard directly, it updates on the editor. However, any controls I change on the editor do not get sent to the Rev2 and the sound does not change at all. Midi out is working though because besides sending programs to the Rev2, I can also make changes to Global settings in the editor and they update immediately on the keyboard. I've had another editor from Soundtower for the Prophet 12, so I know pretty well how to use the software. I don't think there is any setting I'm missing here either. Changing parameters on the editor just do not get sent to the keyboard. Note that I tired this with the keyboard connected both via MOTU Midi interface, and directly with a USB cable to my Mac desktop. I also updated the Rev2 from OS 1.05 to 1.065. Nothing works. Waiting for a reply from Soundtower at this point.

dslsynth

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 11:58:55 AM »
Demo mode with limited functionality?
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

kmm08

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 12:20:10 PM »
That's a good question since I can't seem to find a manual, and I haven't noticed anything that mentions the difference between the demo and full modes. I assumed it had more to do with not allowing you to save your work. If none of the controls in the software work in demo mode, what would be the point of having a demo in the first place?

MDMA

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 01:45:32 PM »
That's a good question since I can't seem to find a manual, and I haven't noticed anything that mentions the difference between the demo and full modes. I assumed it had more to do with not allowing you to save your work. If none of the controls in the software work in demo mode, what would be the point of having a demo in the first place?

It's a bit like test driving a car and not being able to drive it!
DSI Rev2, Moog sub 37, Roland JDXA, DSI Pro 2, Novation Ultranova, Access Virus TI, Roland Juno 106, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg KingKorg

kmm08

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 04:48:55 PM »
Anybody actually try this that bought it as of yet to confirm if it works or not?

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 07:44:51 PM »
Is multimode supported? I know you can enable it in the app, but doesn't see where you can set it up

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 01:16:49 AM »
The P12 editor has similar limitations in that it's only one-way for editing and you can't save user banks. 

I found a problem with the demo that I don't know if it's a bug, a demo limitation or something else.

My setup is Roland A500 controller -> USB -> PC -> USB -> MOTU Midi Express 128 -> MIDI -> Rev2. 
When I use the editor and play the A500, notes on the Rev2 only sound briefly.  Looking at the activity on the MOTU, pressing a key sends two messages (plus a third when I release the key on the A500).  Anyone else have this?  The virtual keyboard in the editor works and if I run everything through Sonar everything is fine.  Replacing the A500 with another MIDI keyboard is the same, so I don't think it's my setup.

It would be handy if they listed the limitations of the demo version.
DSI: P12M, Rev2-16.  Roland: JV-2080, JX-03, JU-06, JP-08, TR-08, TR-09, Moog Subsequent 37, Alesis QSR, E-Mu Proteus 2000, Novation Mininova, Yamaha Reface DX, Marshall JMP-1, Boss GX-700, Oberheim GM 400, mostly Yamaha guitars apart from a Fender Telecaster.  Oh, and lots of cables.

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 06:01:48 AM »
purchased a copy yesterday ... very good implementation so far I can say.

Much better than Synthet which I own, too.
PT10/12HD, Logic X, Digital Performer, Vienna Ensemble Pro
cMP 5,1 Catalina; MacBook Pro

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 08:38:09 AM »
Just tested the software (Demo Version) and I can concur that the editing is only happen in one direction, if you change an encoder on the REV2 in changes in the software, however if you change that same encoder in software it doesn't update the REV2 accordingly! Obviously you can expect it to move the pot as they're not powered in any way but you would think it would update the value. I see no point in an editor that you can't edit on!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 09:01:59 AM by DHTech »

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 09:00:07 AM »
purchased a copy yesterday ... very good implementation so far I can say.

Much better than Synthet which I own, too.

When you change something in the editor, is it mirrored on the Synth right away? I remember having issues with my Tetra ... it wouldn't update the settings on the synth so if I tweak a knob it would jump back to previous value.

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2017, 10:39:49 AM »
Just tested the software (Demo Version) and I can concur that the editing is only happen in one direction, if you change an encoder on the REV2 in changes in the software, however if you change that same encoder in software it doesn't update the REV2 accordingly! Obviously you can expect it to move the pot as they're not powered in any way but you would think it would update the value. I see no point in an editor that you can't edit on!

For better or worse, that's just the way Soundtower limits the usefulness of the unregistered demo version.  It's exactly the same demo limitation on all their editors.  Changes made on the editor will update the synth as you expect if you pay up for the full version.

Unless you *really* prefer editing on the computer I personally wouldn't bother with the editor.  I've often used the demo versions to view my patches (quite useful - particularly on the P6) but have then done all the editing on the synth itself.  Actually, the one thing the editor is particularly good for is editing the sequencer, which can be a pain on the hardware.

I think if the editors were $30 or less then I wouldn't have such a problem with them but $49 - $69 is, in my opinion, way too much for something I consider quite non-essential.

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 11:51:08 AM »
for me the SoundTower Editor is worth every cent ... so much useful features that go beyond the usual giving a very powerful setup in combination with the rev2. tweaking on the synth itself (of course) and then making snapshots in the editor, organizing banks, morph / random and mix-functions that work, clear modulation routing, sequenzer editing and much more. no crashes yet here. not bad for a 1.0 release ... and I´m not affiliated with the Guys from SoundTower ;-)

cheers

PT10/12HD, Logic X, Digital Performer, Vienna Ensemble Pro
cMP 5,1 Catalina; MacBook Pro

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2017, 01:02:21 PM »
What SoundTower don't make clear is how the demo version is limited, so it difficult to make an informed purchase in the respect of the software functions. I can see that there are some excellent benefits of the SoundTower Editor, I will be considering the purchase once I've delved a little deeper in to the Demo.

kmm08

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2017, 01:52:03 PM »
Confirmed. Registering the software does allow you to edit the parameters via the editor, as opposed to the demo version which does not. And yes, it would have made it easier if they just mentioned that on their website.

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2017, 02:21:10 PM »
Purchased mine. Works like a charm. The user interface is not exactly intuitive but it's very powerful.

So far I'm using it for two things:
1- Editing sequencer steps which is faster from the editor than on the synth itself

2- Rearranging patches
This solves an issue for me which is that loading a saved sysex from Librarian to the Rev2 would put it back to the same bank/patch number.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 02:23:25 PM by teebot »

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2017, 07:57:38 AM »
Does anyone know if there's a manual or videos of the soundtower editor? I just bought it and there's a lot of things I don't understand yet. I mainly use it for the librarian and the sequencer but It hasn't been straightforward for me so far.

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2017, 09:27:43 AM »
Hey guys,

Just wondering if they got the FX sections right with this new editor? I use the ST editors with my OB6 and the FX section is never correctly displayed, plus the LFO sync button in the editor is always turned on when I open it. Even if the preset currently loaded doesn't have the sync button turned on. Annoying as hell considering what I paid for both versions.

If they have managed to get it right with Rev 2 maybe there is hope for the OB6 editor.

Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Prologue16 <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

"They're not aliens...they're Americans!"
(The Mouse That Roared, 1959)