Arpeggiator in 16 velocities mode

LoboLives

Arpeggiator in 16 velocities mode
« on: July 17, 2017, 02:09:21 PM »
I'm trying to record an arpeggiation in Velocity mode but when I check the events screen all the velocities for each step remain the same. Also arpeggiator seems to shut off when the sequencer is playing and even though I'm pressing roll and holding multiple pads it only triggers one pad

RobH

Re: Arpeggiator in 16 velocities mode
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 02:13:41 PM »
I'm trying to record an arpeggiation in Velocity mode but when I check the events screen all the velocities for each step remain the same. Also arpeggiator seems to shut off when the sequencer is playing and even though I'm pressing roll and holding multiple pads it only triggers one pad

I just recorded a quick roll in 16 Levels mode and the event sequencer wrote the midi velocity data correctly, check maybe you don't have fixed velocity pressed?

Also how are you changing the note of the arp in 16 Levels mode?

LoboLives

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 03:02:24 AM »

I just recorded a quick roll in 16 Levels mode and the event sequencer wrote the midi velocity data correctly, check maybe you don't have fixed velocity pressed?

What do you mean changing the note? I'm simply holding multiple pads at once while roll is pressed.

RobH

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 06:30:07 AM »

What do you mean changing the note? I'm simply holding multiple pads at once while roll is pressed.

Well an arp would imply your changing the pitch of the note as opposed to a roll which would just roll the same note right, in 16 Levels mode you would not be able to change the pitch of the note, so unless we are using different terminology for the same thing then my guess would be your not in 16 Levels mode?

Still if you are in 16 Levels mode the question still remains as to why the recorded data on your Tempest is not showing te different veloctities recorded.

LoboLives

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 02:52:40 AM »

Well an arp would imply your changing the pitch of the note as opposed to a roll which would just roll the same note right, in 16 Levels mode you would not be able to change the pitch of the note, so unless we are using different terminology for the same thing then my guess would be your not in 16 Levels mode?

Still if you are in 16 Levels mode the question still remains as to why the recorded data on your Tempest is not showing te different veloctities recorded.

But isn't the arpegiator in the Tempest simply a pattern triggering with the pads that are being pressed? Be they pitches or sounds?

RobH

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 03:50:22 AM »

I guess, I'm just trying to be clear so we get to the bottom of why the velocity data is not being recorded rather than dance around mixing up each others terminology, the arpeggiator is called "Roll" on the Tempest right, so if your saying Arp to me i'm instantly thinking your changing pitch, maybe i'm just confusing the issue, still i'd like to try and work out why when your using the "roll/arp" function in 16 Levels mode that the velocity data is not being written.

But isn't the arpegiator in the Tempest simply a pattern triggering with the pads that are being pressed? Be they pitches or sounds?

LoboLives

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 08:28:13 PM »

I guess, I'm just trying to be clear so we get to the bottom of why the velocity data is not being recorded rather than dance around mixing up each others terminology, the arpeggiator is called "Roll" on the Tempest right, so if your saying Arp to me i'm instantly thinking your changing pitch, maybe i'm just confusing the issue, still i'd like to try and work out why when your using the "roll/arp" function in 16 Levels mode that the velocity data is not being written.

?

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 09:44:05 PM »
What OS are you running, LoboLives?  The behavior you're reporting here sounds suspiciously like a bug that was squashed a while back, somewhere around beta 1.4.0.15 if I recall (though I'd have to check the change-log to be sure).

Unless, of course, I'm misinterpreting the issue, it's also possible that you have the roll function in the wrong mode: i.e. retrig instead of arp.

Cheers!

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 01:42:17 AM »
I'm misinterpreting the issue, it's also possible that you have the roll function in the wrong mode: i.e. retrig instead of arp.

Cheers!

My guess is that^

LoboLives

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 02:57:27 AM »
The lastest OS. I just recently got the Tempest from DSI. The mode isn't set to retrigger but it does retrigger regardless of if I go "Up" "Down" "Up and Down" "Randon" or "Assign". Again, only in 16 levels. 16 sounds and 16 tunings work fine.

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 03:37:53 AM »
The lastest OS. I just recently got the Tempest from DSI. The mode isn't set to retrigger but it does retrigger regardless of if I go "Up" "Down" "Up and Down" "Randon" or "Assign". Again, only in 16 levels. 16 sounds and 16 tunings work fine.

Well, as far as I know, the Tempest still ships with OS 1.4, in which case the issue you're describing would indeed be a bug.  We've come a long way since then.  I would suggest updating to the latest beta and see if that doesn't solve the problem.

Cheers!

LoboLives

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 03:45:17 AM »

Well, as far as I know, the Tempest still ships with OS 1.4, in which case the issue you're describing would indeed be a bug.  We've come a long way since then.  I would suggest updating to the latest beta and see if that doesn't solve the problem.

Cheers!

Thanks!

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 11:52:08 AM »
The arp does correctly output velocity info to the sequencer in the latest available BETA.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim