TEMPEST 2 - is it possible?

Re: TEMPEST 2 - is it possible?
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2017, 05:25:59 AM »
It can be convoluted but, some say the exact same thing about the Tempest right, its the end result that matters. Its also expensive and addictive! One other benefit though is it forces you to understand sounds in a much deeper and more meaningful way. Its not for everyone i'm sure, but if you have not tried it, i emplore you to make a small 6u system and try it out!

I'm gonna start on mine soon  ;) need to build me a case first, gonna get one of those Doepfer kits.

I have a Mother-32, Sherman Filterbank, Waldorf 2-Pole so kind of semi-modular gear. First module I'm getting will be MakeNoise Maths, probably followed by their DPO. I like the look of that Korgasmatron filter!

What are you using for VCA?
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2017, 05:50:13 AM »
I know..i know my friend...Modular world is unbelievable and i've experienced it in my friend's studio with many cases,modules & DIY stuff..As you said expensive but worth it!Hope one day i'll jump to it ;)
Ye i know about the cases Chris Randall used a wonderful case with his Euroracks at a presentation...But to achieve this kind of power with Cases you need a very big case!
Only for studio use nah!
While you guys dream of the perfect synth I'll be over here building my own in eurocrackland haha

Quite a few people take euro on a the road checkout a kickstarter called Nono modular space cases the portable modular scene is definitely getting traction!

Yeah thats true, a good polysynth is never really going to be in modular form (although there will be exceptions im sure), at the moment i have a 6u not even full system and to be honest the range of sounds i can get from it is insane but what is also insane is the quality! I think that because the people who make the modules are like super focused on one small part of what consists of a synth that they make that one part of the whole much better quality than the synths that come together already like normal synths.

So the VCA on my modular is super awesome, gives you some really really nice saturation does a load of other things the VCA in the Tempest for instance never will (like 6db boost and there are 4 of them so a +24db boost if you like). The filter i chose has a symettry mode which from what i can gather uses posistive and negative signals at the same time (so think the resonance q then also cuts some as well as boosts i think), my Oscillator does a shitload of crazy ass stuff (DPO) and they are all amazing on their own so when you sound design on it you get some amazing results i have to admit!

It can be convoluted but, some say the exact same thing about the Tempest right, its the end result that matters. Its also expensive and addictive! One other benefit though is it forces you to understand sounds in a much deeper and more meaningful way. Its not for everyone i'm sure, but if you have not tried it, i emplore you to make a small 6u system and try it out!

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2017, 08:13:00 AM »
Yorgos dont drink the kool-aid. You know the Mod world is insane. They hook you with kool words like "db boost" and "symmetry". This stuff is like crack. There is a movement for Anti-DIY. They put together a Documentary on these poor synth heads who end up tangled in wires not even aware of Life in general. These DIYers start off all full of enthusiasm. Next thing you know they are found eating stale cereal with old goat milk.

The World Health Organisation has posted a global notice on "The Dangers of Exploring The Mod Creative (DMC). Unfortunately a group of illiterates mistook the acronym as a DJ competition. Impressing eachother with scratching (not themselves but "records.") This "group" now has rooted itself in every corner of the world. Unfortunately WHO's notice went sadly...unnoticed but it did help revitalise the 1200's back into the mainstay at ridiculous prices.

Left unchecked, some modular DIYers fell deeply into their "craft" isloated from society and now start to consider how to incorporate organic synthesis by modifying body parts. The problem being, how does one's left toe resonate at the lowest biological fundimental frequency? Apparently one unsuspecting chap is rumoured to have achieved this. However at the Eureka moment of discovery he had unfortunately jammed his left toe on his desk, spilling his stale cereal over his equipment, electrified his toe and had a massive coronary attack. He was found by his landlord 8 months later on the floor tangled in wires with a burnt toe. He would have been found earlier however as we now know those who ignore the DMC generally dont have time for friends since they spend every waking hour in search of the Penultimate Auditory Chanel (PAC).

Interestingly enough a few years back some geeky nerds that immerse themselves in computerized fantasy (aka "gamers") mistook this for the resurgance of PAC Man which now holds annual championship tournaments.

So, the world is still in dark unable to properly organise any kind of support for the DIY Modders since they are now found celebrating the DJ's and Gamers. I now personally try to circumvent this movement of Mod and anything Euro, though I do like the odd DMC battle and little flashy dots.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 08:18:04 AM by LucidSFX »
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2017, 08:55:12 AM »
Enlightening ^ ⚡️

RobH

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2017, 10:00:22 AM »
Actually I'm not allowed any milk as I'm Lactose intolerent since getting my Euro lol!!!

@Muleskinner I'm using Intellijel Quad VCA its really good, a little more than the Mutable Veils but the +6db on each channel gives such a nice distortion especially when you chain two channels together!

https://soundcloud.com/robert-tree-hardy/quad-vca-distortion

before adding the distortion from from the Intellijel Quad it sounds like

https://soundcloud.com/robert-tree-hardy/quad-vca-pre-distortion

Also I have the DPO as my main oscillator I am really really impressed with it. Right now I mostly use its Sine wave out then add some of the final output for a little top end craziness, the sine on the DPO run into the QUAD VCA adding some distortion + Cwejman MMf-6 makes for some of the nicest house style bass i've ever heard, its fat full deep and powerful!!! I also have a Make Noise maths its super super useful and worth having as one of your first modules its just like a toolbox of usefulness.

My current rack is

Intellijel Quad VCA
Intellijel Metropolis
Make Noise DPO
Make Noise Maths
Cwejman MMF-6 VCF
Blue Lantern Asteroid Operator VCF

Although I need some modulation source as Maths gets used as envelopes a lot so I'm selling the BL VCF and going to get an Abstract Data Octocontroller. Also i have my name down for a Cwejman BLD which should be coming soon (can't wait!). I need to get some Doepfer in my system too as they make a lot of bread and butter modules i'm missing.

I'm sure you'll get into Euro eventually Yorgos you know its inevitable xD

If anyone needs any starter up advice i'd be happy to answer any questions if I can!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 10:40:08 AM by RobH »

Stoss

« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2017, 12:09:37 PM »
The way Roger Linn thinks about drum machines and performance oriented instruments is the reason I love the Tempest.

Let's pair Roger up with Rohan at Synthstrom Audible and see what magic can be made!

dslsynth

« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2017, 12:34:28 PM »
Let's pair Roger up with Rohan at Synthstrom Audible and see what magic can be made!

Or Dave Rossum as he knows quite something about sampling! ;)
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

RobH

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2017, 12:50:36 PM »

Or Dave Rossum as he knows quite something about sampling! ;)

Now thats something I would like to see Damn "The Rosslinn" jeez that would be sweeeeet!!!

dslsynth

« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2017, 02:37:06 PM »
Now thats something I would like to see Damn "The Rosslinn" jeez that would be sweeeeet!!!

I would love to see the same type of voice architecture with digital voices emulating the analog voices approach as the original Boomchik and LinnDrum II designs had. Guess you already know Roger Linn's page on Shelved Product Ideas.

And of cause I will hope that the OS implementation efforts made on Tempest can make a good starting point for a next generation drum machine.
#!/bin/sh

RobH

« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2017, 04:35:59 PM »

I would love to see the same type of voice architecture with digital voices emulating the analog voices approach as the original Boomchik and LinnDrum II designs had. Guess you already know Roger Linn's page on Shelved Product Ideas.

And of cause I will hope that the OS implementation efforts made on Tempest can make a good starting point for a next generation drum machine.

I don't know if i should mention, but, the rumour mill did grind my way not too long ago that a Linndrum 2.0, might, and this is rumourmill, might, be in design xD Don't akks me I won't say ;)

(there is still a chance is all i'm saying)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 04:39:33 PM by RobH »

dslsynth

« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2017, 05:53:32 AM »
I don't know if i should mention, but, the rumour mill did grind my way not too long ago that a Linndrum 2.0, might, and this is rumourmill, might, be in design xD Don't akks me I won't say ;)

Well, that would be lovely as DSI are much sharper on Sharc DSPs than a few years ago, flash ram is much cheaper and other supporting processors are much more capable too. Will wait and see what happens. New voice architecture will be the first thing I would look at when/if such a machine is released. Interesting times!

PS: I understand that this could very well be N'th person rumor. If a company told me they were working on a new product then I am very good at keeping my mouth shut until its announced.

. o O ( moral rant of the week )
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 05:55:04 AM by dslsynth »
#!/bin/sh

RobH

« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2017, 02:37:09 PM »

Well, that would be lovely as DSI are much sharper on Sharc DSPs than a few years ago, flash ram is much cheaper and other supporting processors are much more capable too. Will wait and see what happens. New voice architecture will be the first thing I would look at when/if such a machine is released. Interesting times!

PS: I understand that this could very well be N'th person rumor. If a company told me they were working on a new product then I am very good at keeping my mouth shut until its announced.

. o O ( moral rant of the week )

The rumour is and was a rumour. No company told me anything I just got the impression the Linndrum 2.0 picture on Linns website that there is still a possibility, the pic is there for all to see, it was just a windup xD

Sorry

MasterVe

« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2017, 12:37:08 PM »
Dave smith And roger linn.  Almost made the tempest perfect just not enough memory so if there is a new tempest 2 coming.  can I Please get least  1 gb memory and more than one midi track Please

LoboLives

« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2017, 03:35:48 AM »
Dave smith And roger linn.  Almost made the tempest perfect just not enough memory so if there is a new tempest 2 coming.  can I Please get least  1 gb memory and more than one midi track Please

or at least save the sequences/projects down to flash cards.

LucidSFX

• Soundcloud
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2017, 07:32:08 AM »
Who wants a deck of flash cards? It needs an LPT Printer port to print out the beat score.
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

LoboLives

« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2017, 10:04:15 AM »
Who wants a deck of flash cards? It needs an LPT Printer port to print out the beat score.

I still use tape,CDs and SD cards. It's good to have a hard copy in case of a computer crash.

LucidSFX

• Soundcloud
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2017, 10:38:36 AM »
Just playing man:) I agree. I find the cloud easier to deal with these things...not so good in a live performance though!
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2017, 05:13:27 AM »
I have a RYTM + Octatrack combo and the Tempest. Everything has it strength, i play more with the Tempest because it sounds better to my ears. The RYTM is a bit stronger in the bass department, and the sequencer probability trigs is really cool.

What i think a welcome addition on a drum computer would be fades to control the volume.

Tempest 2 wishlist:

FX, (better saturation) delay, reverb, stutter fx.
Sample import via USB disk drive.
Midi probability triggers like on electron, polyphonic external sequencing. (The new faders would also work as velocity faders ?)
Internal resampling. Two/Four tracks to play the re sampled files.
More filter type´s, different flavours.
Especially cool if it would have insert FX not just send FX.
8 Voices + 2-4 sample track (with analogue filters.)
Faders for volume of each track.

Waldorf did something like digital osc, analog filter and then resampled it for digital FX, i believe that is a good idea.

Wavetable synth engine + morphing on one track would also be cool with user waveshapes.

Essentially the Interface from the Tempest, added with some faders for volume control + a small sample section on a extra screen for file access /browsing.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 05:17:46 AM by Sternenlicht »
A4, Octatrack, RYTM, P12, Tempest. Sub37. A&H Qu Pac