TEMPEST 2 - is it possible?

Re: TEMPEST 2 - is it possible?
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2017, 08:31:46 PM »
Based on Roger Linn's comments of "On balance, if you look at the totality of things Tempest can do and its vast internal complexity, I think it’s pretty amazing and may never be equalled. I certainly couldn’t have made Tempest on my own and appreciate that Dave was willing to devote so many of his resources to this collaboration of ideas." I think it's pretty unlikely there's a Tempest 2 in development.  Sounds like it was a one-off collaboration, but you never know of course.

particlesintowaves

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2017, 08:49:08 PM »
Based on Roger Linn's comments of "On balance, if you look at the totality of things Tempest can do and its vast internal complexity, I think it’s pretty amazing and may never be equalled. I certainly couldn’t have made Tempest on my own and appreciate that Dave was willing to devote so many of his resources to this collaboration of ideas." I think it's pretty unlikely there's a Tempest 2 in development.  Sounds like it was a one-off collaboration, but you never know of course.

I think DSI have learned a lot in the last 6 years so I hope that makes them more capable of delivering an even better instrument, even if on their own.

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2017, 11:34:42 PM »
I just want to ask if DSI thinking about TEMPEST 2?

If yes, please do not forget to add the reverb effect to this machine. Okay?! :)

You know the Tempest is pretty much perfect (though I'd like more memory and a way to manage files via USB like a drive.

What I want from these brilliant mean is a small battery powered version. 

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2017, 01:31:55 AM »
The T already proved itself as a poly and I think workstation/sequencer is the next wave of hardware.

I agree. For me a good hardware (CV/MIDI) sequencer partnered with sound modules that have a rock solid MIDI and/or CV implementation is the way forward. I may have found that sequencer in the Deluge but it still has a lot of 'version one' type quirks that need ironing out. Firmware updates have been coming fast though.

I suspect I will still be using the Tempest for a very long time, it's still the first synth I turn to in many situations, but I'd have a hard time trusting DSI with anything that required ongoing firmware development. I just don't think 'The Dave' gets it yet.

Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

LoboLives

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2017, 03:07:32 AM »
We could see sort of a throwback to SCI Programmers of the 80s but so many companies already do this (Engine, Carbon etc) that I'm not sure what DSI could offer that could be different. Even their collaboration with Pioneer the SP-16 and the new MPCs are essentially that.

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2017, 04:00:25 AM »
For me the revolution is a "one box to rule them all" machine...For now i have 2 machines that do exactly this..Tempest+MPC Live combo!One a mighty drum/synth machine and the other a mighty sampler/sequencer machine...IMHO a hybrid machine that takes the best of both will destroy any competition out there and really i don't mind paying extra to have it ;) I'm sure both Elektron and DSI can do it..Elektron has the available tech already there with AR+Octatrack and DSI can do another colab with Pioneer (that has the sampling experience) to achieve it...Or maybe an AKAI+DSI Colab? :P
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 04:07:24 AM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

LoboLives

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2017, 04:16:32 AM »
For me the revolution is a "one box to rule them all" machine...For now i have 2 machines that do exactly this..Tempest+MPC Live combo!One a mighty drum/synth machine and the other a mighty sampler/sequencer machine...IMHO a hybrid machine that takes the best of both will destroy any competition out there and really i don't mind paying extra to have it ;) I'm sure both Elektron and DSI can do it..Elektron has the available tech already there with AR+Octatrack and DSI can do another colab with Pioneer (that has the sampling experience) to achieve it...Or maybe an AKAI+DSI Colab? :P

I'd actually like to see a DSI/Pioneer sampler Keyboard with an on board sequencer and DSI analog filters. Think the Korg Microsampler's instantaneous sampling capability with the SP-16s sequencing and include some old Prophet 2000 samples in there. Sort of like a modern day Emulator.

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2017, 04:31:51 AM »
For me the revolution is a "one box to rule them all" machine...

I think this is pretty much impossible though as everyone's requirements are so different.

I had a Maschine Studio for a while. It was cool, but I thought it really suffered from a lack of focus. Some people wanted it to be a standalone DAW, some a kickass sampler, others a great sequencer, etc etc. The end result was something of a 'jack of all trades, master of none'. Now I think it's better to have gear that's very good at doing specific things rather than stuff that tries to do everything and, unavoidably, end up disappointing in some respect. Geist2 + cheap AKAI pad controller is much better as a hybrid MPC-esque sampler than Maschine.

Then again, I don't play this stuff live so carting a shitload of gear around isn't a problem for me.

Tempest excels at being a drum and general-purpose synth IMO - and it's not a bad sequencer as long as you don't want to control anything else with it.
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2017, 04:45:48 AM »
Come on people don't limit the boundaries...Tempest is an example of a simple,fun & playable/hands on machine that if it had also the sampling capability and more RAM/CPU+MIDI implementation specs would be that machine i'm talking about...Or imagine MPC Live sampler to have a Analog Poly Rev2 style 16 voice synth inside!Or simply take the Rev2 16 voices,put the AKAI 64 voices sampler inside,FX per voice,backlit AKAI style pads,SSD expansion+real-time streaming from it and price it at 3000-3500$ to destroy them all..Ah and make the classic 2 versions (Keyboard/Desktop) ...Come on Dave!Basically i would sell all my gear after that...The tech is already there someone has to built it!!!
P.S
Don't forget the software editor like AKAI's MPC 2.0 Software

I think this is pretty much impossible though as everyone's requirements are so different.

I had a Maschine Studio for a while. It was cool, but I thought it really suffered from a lack of focus. Some people wanted it to be a standalone DAW, some a kickass sampler, others a great sequencer, etc etc. The end result was something of a 'jack of all trades, master of none'. Now I think it's better to have gear that's very good at doing specific things rather than stuff that tries to do everything and, unavoidably, end up disappointing in some respect. Geist2 + cheap AKAI pad controller is much better as a hybrid MPC-esque sampler than Maschine.

Then again, I don't play this stuff live so carting a shitload of gear around isn't a problem for me.

Tempest excels at being a drum and general-purpose synth IMO - and it's not a bad sequencer as long as you don't want to control anything else with it.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 05:18:56 AM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2017, 05:26:15 AM »
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong I'd love if there was actually a Tempest 2.  While the Tempest is full featured there are some changes that could be made to the sequencer to improve workflow, 2 more voices can be added, saturation (not feedback) available per sound, user samples, delay/reverb sends, etc.  Sky's the limit, but keeping it at a somewhat affordable price where the company makes money back is always the tricky thing.

Come on people don't limit the boundaries...Tempest is an example of a simple,fun & playable/hands on machine that if it had also the sampling capability and more RAM/CPU+MIDI implementation specs would be that machine i'm talking about...Or imagine MPC Live sampler to have a Analog Poly Rev2 style 16 voice synth inside!Or simply take the Rev2 16 voices,put the AKAI 64 voices sampler inside,FX per voice,backlit AKAI style pads and price it at 3000-3500$ to destroy them all..Ah and make the classic 2 versions (Keyboard/Desktop) ...Come on Dave!Basically i would sell all my gear after that...Simply Heavenly!!!
P.S
Don't forget the software editor like AKAI's MPC 2.0 Software

RobH

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2017, 06:33:08 AM »
While you guys dream of the perfect synth I'll be over here building my own in eurocrackland haha

LoboLives

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2017, 06:50:49 AM »
The biggest issue I have with the Tempest is not being able to have the sequence midi out to more than one mono synth. I really wanted to use it to control 2 ARP or SEM modules. There must be a way to do this.

RobH

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2017, 07:26:50 AM »
The biggest issue I have with the Tempest is not being able to have the sequence midi out to more than one mono synth. I really wanted to use it to control 2 ARP or SEM modules. There must be a way to do this.

I guess with Abelton you can run the one sequence into the DAW and then back out to the ARP/SEM whatever. There might be some lag but it should be possible.

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2017, 12:22:47 PM »
Only for studio use nah!
While you guys dream of the perfect synth I'll be over here building my own in eurocrackland haha

RobH

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2017, 01:30:39 PM »
Only for studio use nah!

Quite a few people take euro on a the road checkout a kickstarter called Nono modular space cases the portable modular scene is definitely getting traction!

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2017, 02:05:33 PM »
Ye i know about the cases Chris Randall used a wonderful case with his Euroracks at a presentation...But to achieve this kind of power with Cases you need a very big case!
Only for studio use nah!

Quite a few people take euro on a the road checkout a kickstarter called Nono modular space cases the portable modular scene is definitely getting traction!

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2017, 02:12:11 PM »
The answer to yhe question at hand is yes. A Tempest 2 is possible. However not probable;)

Let's get a final firmware for the Tempest 1 first!! LOL
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

particlesintowaves

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2017, 02:42:20 PM »
I tried to go the modular route for drums but I found that the workflow was incredibly tedious for my liking. You can definitely get a huge variety of sounds from it that aren't available on the Tempest, but I wasn't really making anything I liked more than what I do with my Tempest.

LoboLives

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2017, 02:54:17 AM »

I guess with Abelton you can run the one sequence into the DAW and then back out to the ARP/SEM whatever. There might be some lag but it should be possible.

Yeah I wanted to stay away from any software...oh well looks like it's a separate sequencer for me.

RobH

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2017, 04:00:37 AM »
Ye i know about the cases Chris Randall used a wonderful case with his Euroracks at a presentation...But to achieve this kind of power with Cases you need a very big case!
Only for studio use nah!

Yeah thats true, a good polysynth is never really going to be in modular form (although there will be exceptions im sure), at the moment i have a 6u not even full system and to be honest the range of sounds i can get from it is insane but what is also insane is the quality! I think that because the people who make the modules are like super focused on one small part of what consists of a synth that they make that one part of the whole much better quality than the synths that come together already like normal synths.

So the VCA on my modular is super awesome, gives you some really really nice saturation does a load of other things the VCA in the Tempest for instance never will (like 6db boost and there are 4 of them so a +24db boost if you like). The filter i chose has a symettry mode which from what i can gather uses posistive and negative signals at the same time (so think the resonance q then also cuts some as well as boosts i think), my Oscillator does a shitload of crazy ass stuff (DPO) and they are all amazing on their own so when you sound design on it you get some amazing results i have to admit!

It can be convoluted but, some say the exact same thing about the Tempest right, its the end result that matters. Its also expensive and addictive! One other benefit though is it forces you to understand sounds in a much deeper and more meaningful way. Its not for everyone i'm sure, but if you have not tried it, i emplore you to make a small 6u system and try it out!