PEK and PER for Sale

Sacred Synthesis

Re: PEK and PER for Sale
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2016, 05:57:32 AM »
At last, the new Poly Evolver Keyboard Mini is now available in a handy four-inch size.  Finally, a super-compact PEK that won't take up valuable studio space, and that can be easily placed on top of any one of your fourteen drum machines.  Throw a hundred of them in your backpack, and even keep one in your wallet for those afternoon walks in the local park with your dog.  No batteries needed.

The new Poly Evolver Keyboard Mini.  Get one today, and experience the magnetism!

Now available at your local Staples and Office Depot.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dave-Smith-Instruments-Poly-Evolver-Synthesizer-Refrigerator-Magnet-/272128770568?hash=item3f5c238208:g:dMgAAOSw5VFWIXwl
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 06:55:06 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

chysn

« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2016, 06:46:36 PM »
For anyone who cares, there is a fleet of Evolvers on Ebay right now.  I don't know if this is a part of the rush related to wanting the new OB-6, but it is unusual to see so many.

I've noticed this, and it's taken an extraordinary amount of willpower to stop myself from buying an MEK.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2016, 07:10:27 PM »
For anyone who cares, there is a fleet of Evolvers on Ebay right now.  I don't know if this is a part of the rush related to wanting the new OB-6, but it is unusual to see so many.

I've noticed this, and it's taken an extraordinary amount of willpower to stop myself from buying an MEK.

I thought you were in the market for a Pro 2.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2016, 07:12:35 PM »

Honestly, Chysn, I'm strongly tempted to stay with what I know and do the same.  Today I came across a Poly Evolver Rack in my general area, and my tongue has been dragging on the ground ever since.

chysn

« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2016, 07:39:16 PM »

And that's one of the things that stopped me. I think I like the Pro 2 filters a bit more, and if I bought an MEK, the Pro 2 option would be pretty much out. Since I've already got a Desktop Evolver, it's really not worth slamming that door.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2016, 07:48:25 PM »
Unless, of course, you'd like a polychained two-voice Evolver. 

« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2016, 08:00:44 PM »
Unless, of course, you'd like a polychained two-voice Evolver.

I was there and it made me want more at times. I think a MEK and a PER are an unbeatable and even portable solution in terms of Evolverism, but then PERs are usually pretty expensive and rare to find on Ebay. That said, I'd definitely start sweating if I saw a MEK+PER combo for about $2,000.

« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2016, 08:01:38 PM »

And that's one of the things that stopped me. I think I like the Pro 2 filters a bit more, and if I bought an MEK, the Pro 2 option would be pretty much out. Since I've already got a Desktop Evolver, it's really not worth slamming that door.

Yeah, mainly two things convinced me to turn towards the Pro 2 in the end: the filters and the paraphonic option. I'd say it's the best filter combo on any DSI synth.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2016, 08:20:21 PM »
I'll take your word that the Pro 2's filter is better than the Evolver's, but the Evolver's stereo oscillators and filters are still outstanding.  There is a depth that is inherent to the Evolver sound.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 08:24:33 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2016, 08:23:32 PM »
I'll take your word that the Pro 2's filter is better than the Evolver's.  But the Evolver's stereo oscillators and filters are still outstanding.  There is a depth that is inherent to the Evolver sound.

Oh, there's no doubt about that. Just because I eventually decided for one thing doesn't mean that I don't like the other. I for one had to make a decision tough. If I could afford it all, I'd probably get it all, although I believe that limitation is better for the creative process.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2016, 08:26:28 PM »
 I think I could say, at this point, that having a very good sound in stereo is preferrable to having a great sound in mono.  A few years ago, I chose to sell my Voyager Old School and to keep my Mono Evolver Keyboard.  I've never regretted that decision.

Noisebug has a used PEK and PER pair for $3,000.  Does that not interest you?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 08:28:40 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2016, 08:31:53 PM »
I think I could say, at this point, that having a very good sound in stereo is preferrable to having a great sound in mono.  A few years ago, I chose to sell my Voyager Old School and to keep my Mono Evolver Keyboard.  I've never regretted that decision.

Wait, doesn't the Voyager have a stereo out?

Noisebug has a used PEK and PER pair for $3,000.  Does that not interest you?

I'm interested, but that alone doesn't generate the necessary budget.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2016, 08:45:50 PM »
The Voyager's filters can be split for some interesting effects, but that's not always a desirable sound and it was seldom the one I wanted.  The oscillators are in mono.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2016, 08:47:35 PM »

You'll have to give up the grey-green dye!

« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2016, 08:49:45 PM »
The Voyager's filters can be split for some interesting effects, but that's not always a desirable sound and it was seldom the one I wanted.  The oscillators are in mono.

Ah, I see. I knew that the oscillators were not hard-wired to the left and right outputs though.

« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2016, 08:50:42 PM »

You'll have to give up the grey-green dye!

Yeah, I'm afraid that alone won't help. Maybe one year on porridge and no more hairdresser will do.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2016, 08:51:21 PM »
If the Poly Evolver Rack is still available in a couple of months when I get a tax return, I'm going to have a difficult decision to make.  It's ironically coming down to either that or another Prophet '08 Module, which would complete my three-part Prophet '08 system. 

« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2016, 08:52:23 PM »
If the Poly Evolver Rack is still available in a couple of months when I get a tax return, I'm going to have a difficult decision to make.  It's ironically coming down to either that or another Prophet '08 Module, which would complete my three-part Prophet '08 system.

Oh, come on.  ;D

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2016, 08:58:24 PM »
Oh, come on.  ;D

You better believe it, baby.  I'm into massive musical sound.  It's been my intention for a few years now to build up a three-unit Prophet '08.  I always get distracted by the release of new instruments, but then I calm down and revert back to my original plan.  The instrument only gets better as it gets bigger.  And with everybody jumping for the same new synthesizers, why not do something different and totally unique?  It would result in a sound unlike any other.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 09:07:32 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2016, 09:01:34 PM »
…with everybody jumping for the same new synthesizers…

That sounds like groundhog day in synth land.