PEK and PER for Sale

Sacred Synthesis

Re: PEK and PER for Sale
« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2016, 09:04:46 PM »
The Voyager's filters can be split for some interesting effects, but that's not always a desirable sound and it was seldom the one I wanted.  The oscillators are in mono.

Ah, I see. I knew that the oscillators were not hard-wired to the left and right outputs though.

On the Voyager it's called the Filter Spacing parameter, and it's basically the same as the Evolver's Filter L/R Split parameter.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2016, 09:06:52 PM »
…with everybody jumping for the same new synthesizers…

That sounds like groundhog day in synth land.

Or like frogs in a synth pond.

« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2016, 09:08:01 PM »
The Voyager's filters can be split for some interesting effects, but that's not always a desirable sound and it was seldom the one I wanted.  The oscillators are in mono.

Ah, I see. I knew that the oscillators were not hard-wired to the left and right outputs though.

On the Voyager it's called the Filter Spacing parameter, and it's basically the same as the Evolver's Filter L/R Split parameter.

Yeah, I remember something like that. I never owned a Voyager so I don't know in great detail how it works with regard to its single parameters.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2016, 09:15:43 PM »
The Voyager was a fabulous instrument and a pleasure to tweak; I loved having a live real-time control panel, but I was shocked not to like its sound so much, especially its sawtooth.  It stuck out like a sore thumb in my recordings.  I could have tried a bit more processing to blend it better into the mix, but that's generally not what you want with analog synthesizers.  Why spend a small fortune on a pure analog sound if you're only going to drown it all in a mass of effects?  After Korg let me down by running its ARP Odyssey through the drier on high heat, I was hoping Moog would come to my mono synth rescue with a new Model D, as was widely rumored for this past winter NAMM.  Oh well.  So, I've mentally returned to my older intentions.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 09:20:27 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2016, 09:35:54 PM »
The Voyager was a fabulous instrument and a pleasure to tweak; I loved having a live real-time control panel, but I was shocked not to like its sound so much, especially its sawtooth.  It stuck out like a sore thumb in my recordings.  I could have tried a bit more processing to blend it better into the mix, but that's generally not what you want with analog synthesizers.  Why spend a small fortune on a pure analog sound if you're only going to drown it all in a mass of effects?  After Korg let me down by running its ARP Odyssey through the drier on high heat, I was hoping Moog would come to my mono synth rescue with a new Model D, as was widely rumored for this past winter NAMM.  Oh well.  So, I've mentally returned to my older intentions.

The Voyager was always out of my price range, especially for what it is I have to say. I for one like its sound and the built quality, but then it is also somewhat limited. But the limitation is not really the point, rather the price they've been asking for it. I mean I could certainly own one by now, but only at the cost of not having instruments like a Pro 2 for example.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2016, 09:43:03 PM »
Yes, indeed.  A brand new Voyager, together with a CP-251 and a hardshell case, was about as expensive as my last car!

« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2016, 12:02:54 AM »
Yes, indeed.  A brand new Voyager, together with a CP-251 and a hardshell case, was about as expensive as my last car!

That's a nice setup! What did you use the CP-251 for? I mean was there any other voltage controlled equipment involved?
And is that a Hammond XK-3 in the picture?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2016, 05:37:44 AM »
I used the CP-251 for adding a second LFO to the Voyager.  As always, I must have simultaneous PWM and vibrato, but at different rates.  The module did this well, but - as I also surprisingly found with the Voyager's Oscillator Frequency knobs - the slightest touch effected the setting, so that it was difficult to get it just where I wanted it.

And yes, that's a Hammond XK 3c.  It, too, was a beautiful instrument, but I just couldn't stand the sonic associations.  Whatever they were - bars, Jazz clubs, soap operas, skating rinks - I couldn't stand them.  They killed the dignity of my sound.  And it was sooooo seventies-ish.  Contrary to my reputation around here, I am the antithesis of nostalgia.  I don't want even a hint of it my music, and the Hammond is the sound that most rings with 70's and 80's nostalgia.  From the day it arrived at my old third-floor apartment, that organ didn't stand a chance with me.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 05:39:55 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2016, 09:27:16 AM »
I used the CP-251 for adding a second LFO to the Voyager.  As always, I must have simultaneous PWM and vibrato, but at different rates.  The module did this well, but - as I also surprisingly found with the Voyager's Oscillator Frequency knobs - the slightest touch effected the setting, so that it was difficult to get it just where I wanted it.

And yes, that's a Hammond XK 3c.  It, too, was a beautiful instrument, but I just couldn't stand the sonic associations.  Whatever they were - bars, Jazz clubs, soap operas, skating rinks - I couldn't stand them.  They killed the dignity of my sound.  And it was sooooo seventies-ish.  Contrary to my reputation around here, I am the antithesis of nostalgia.  I don't want even a hint of it my music, and the Hammond is the sound that most rings with 70's and 80's nostalgia.  From the day it arrived at my old third-floor apartment, that organ didn't stand a chance with me.

Gotcha. I used to have a Hammond XB-2 at some point, so I know what you mean. Why did you pick the Voyager Old Schoold over the regular one?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2016, 10:07:29 AM »
Instinct!  Plus, I disliked the look of the touch screen on the other editions, nor would I have any use for it.

« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2016, 01:15:46 PM »
Back to the original title of this thread.  For what its worth,  my PEK will never be sold.  As I go thru the slow rotation of synths in my studio I find that whenever I land back at the Evolver the quality of sound and keyboard attributes really strikes me.   PO8 perhaps the close second for me.    I guess I bias a little more to PEK than the PO8, but only 'cause I do like having the digital waveforms.

People who have these should really hold on to them IMO.

Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2016, 03:52:04 PM »
That's encouraging, Soundquest.  I haven't been able to afford a rotation of instruments, for deer reasons.  It's always good to hear that I've already got the best.  Thank you for the reminder.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2016, 09:45:57 AM »
I've complained here a bit about the Evolver's annoying digital aliasing.  I have to admit, however, that at times it strikes me as having a bit of charm of its own.  If you listen to the waveshapes by themselves, the noise in the upper registers can be quite off-putting.  But in the context of a piece of music, when subtle and only rare, a touch of that aliasing can be rather pretty in a mysterious sort of way. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 07:00:44 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2017, 05:38:26 AM »
These aren't getting any easier to find. I've noticed the MEK prices have gone up considerably in just the last few months too.

Speaking of Evolvers and Voyagers I'm looking to trade my Voyager for a PEK, MEK + PER, etc. in Philly area:)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #94 on: January 31, 2017, 10:06:05 AM »
Many of the Evolvers that were on Ebay have been advertised on Reverb.  The hardest one to find is definitely the Poly Evolver Rack, but even this instrument, along with the other Evolver versions, can occasionally be found on Reverb.

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=Evolver

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #95 on: February 08, 2017, 09:43:02 AM »
Oh, for a Poly Evolver Keyboard REV2.  Eight voices, stack and split modes, onboard effects, cleaner digital wave shapes, and enough of that 'new and less expensive technology' to keep it well under $3,000.  Oh....

« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2017, 02:31:15 PM »
Many of the Evolvers that were on Ebay have been advertised on Reverb.  The hardest one to find is definitely the Poly Evolver Rack, but even this instrument, along with the other Evolver versions, can occasionally be found on Reverb.

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=Evolver

Thanks! I scored a MEK PE from a dude on Reverb. He didn't know if it was PE or not and lucky for me it was. Now patiently on the lookout for a PER. Am I dreaming if I think I might find one for around $1000?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2017, 04:50:06 PM »
No, you're not.  $1,000 is the going price for Poly Evolver Racks. 

Oh...a MEK...mmm....I'm sure I was salivating over the very one you bought.  Congratulations!  It's still my favorite mono synth, alongside the Odyssey.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 04:54:37 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2017, 05:01:53 PM »
No, you're not.  $1,000 is the going price for Poly Evolver Racks
That's what I'm after..the rack:) So you're saying I should be able to score one for $1000?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #99 on: February 09, 2017, 06:36:51 PM »
Definitely.  I watch Ebay, Reverb, and Craigslist, and although the Rack is fairly hard to find, when one does appear, it's always right around $1,000.  Hang in there and you'll find one.  If I come across one, I'll post it here or PM you.  Are you in the US?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 06:38:38 PM by Sacred Synthesis »