REV2 Always powers up to F1-P18 preset

REV2 Always powers up to F1-P18 preset
« on: July 13, 2017, 07:55:50 PM »
Hey there:
No matter what preset I have selected before I turn my synth off, when I power it back on it defaults to the F1 P18 preset. Is there something I'm missing? Anyone experiencing this behavior?

Thanks !

MDMA

Re: REV2 Always powers up to F1-P18 preset
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 11:34:20 PM »
I haven't tried this on my Rev 2 yet, but believe it works the same as the Pro 2.

Choose the patch you want it to open with, then access the global parameters, then exit.

The Rev should now open up with your selected patch.
DSI Rev2, Moog sub 37, Roland JDXA, DSI Pro 2, Novation Ultranova, Access Virus TI, Roland Juno 106, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg KingKorg

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 05:37:01 PM »
Thanks MDMA, it works exactly as you said ! This was driving me crazy  ;D

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 07:24:48 AM »
Good to know.  Mine does this too and it's been driving me nuts.

jg666

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 12:39:03 AM »
Does this happen to everyone?.......

I set my Rev2 to start up on F2 P33 (C.S.A.T.). This has the glide enabled and the glide behaves differently for this when played straight from starting up than if you access this patch from another patch first.

When played straight from starting up the Rev2 the glide seems to be at maximum.
When played when accessed from elsewhere the glide is more subtle.
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 02:03:34 PM »
Does this happen to everyone?.......

I set my Rev2 to start up on F2 P33 (C.S.A.T.). This has the glide enabled and the glide behaves differently for this when played straight from starting up than if you access this patch from another patch first.

When played straight from starting up the Rev2 the glide seems to be at maximum.
When played when accessed from elsewhere the glide is more subtle.

I've just tried this and it plays the same

UPDATE: No actually you're quite correct - except in my case it's the opposite. After powering up the Rev2 the glide seems to have no affect, but when you change sounds and go back to it the glide seems to be far more severe than it should - hmmm bizarre!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 02:24:24 PM by jazzygb1 »

Propheteer

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 08:24:25 PM »
won't the glide depend entirely on what keys were pressed before playing it? so booting up = no keys were pressed = nothing to glide from!

Playing another patch somewhere on the keybed, then switching, would know the last key(s) were somewhere else when you play new notes.

As for the patch storing when you turn off, and using global to select which it is, this is a side effect of modern flash memory that can't store whatever patch you're on without being told explicitly (but has lots of other upsides instead).

Many new synths do this if they have flash memory, older synths (from the late 80s on) could store whatever you were last on as they had a battery and volatile ram (that was kept true by said battery) so had to store the current patch each time you changed.

Some even older synths with battery backed ram couldn't even keep it at all and would always default to zero (Juno 106 for example). Just a heads up on why synths these days often need you to choose the start up patch rather than just remembering what you were last on. It's a bit annoying but I'll take the upsides of flash over that facility.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 08:30:49 PM by Propheteer »

jg666

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 01:15:52 AM »
In my case the glide on that patch when booting up to it stays at the max level no matter what keys are pressed. It's nothing to do with what note was last played, it's the level that the glide is set to :)

I wonder if mine is behaving differently to jazzygb1 due to us have different pot settings? I have mine set to passthru
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6