Tempest Screen - Won't change Sound Folder on Beat pad

Tempest Screen - Won't change Sound Folder on Beat pad
« on: July 11, 2017, 05:03:19 PM »
Hey guys,

Been having an odd issue after updating to the newest OS. It used to be that I could turn the third soft knob on the '16 sounds' page and I would see the first pad change from lets say 'Kick' to 'Snare', etc. Now when I turn the third soft knob, the pad stays on 'Kick', but the ' Snd: A1/Kick ' section will change to 'Snd: A1/Snare' and so forth. Is there any way to maybe do a reset on the screen, or another way to fix this issue? I tried searching the forum, but couldn't find anything. Appreciate the help.

RobH

Re: Tempest Screen - Won't change Sound Folder on Beat pad
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 05:50:30 PM »
Hey guys,

Been having an odd issue after updating to the newest OS. It used to be that I could turn the third soft knob on the '16 sounds' page and I would see the first pad change from lets say 'Kick' to 'Snare', etc. Now when I turn the third soft knob, the pad stays on 'Kick', but the ' Snd: A1/Kick ' section will change to 'Snd: A1/Snare' and so forth. Is there any way to maybe do a reset on the screen, or another way to fix this issue? I tried searching the forum, but couldn't find anything. Appreciate the help.

Yeah thats working as intended, in 16 sounds mode it changes the folder your in and the 4th knob then selects a sound from that folder.

If you hold shift down (which im guessing you had it pressed, if you just press shift quickly it stays on until you press it again quickly) then you change the name of the pad.

Hope this helps!

I checked on my Tempest seems to be working fine also. If its still not working as you think it should go to system settings and "reset all parameters". If its still not working drop in and try and be a little clearer about whats wrong. Thanks
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 05:52:44 PM by RobH »

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 05:59:08 PM »
Yep, that's all right!

But before, it wasn't necessary to press 'Shift' in order to change the name of the pad. The pad name changed when I turned the 3rd knob to select a new folder. Was very convenient that way because I didn't have to go and press Shift and turn the knob in order to change the pad name after I had selected the folder I wanted.

RobH

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 06:37:27 PM »
Yep, that's all right!

But before, it wasn't necessary to press 'Shift' in order to change the name of the pad. The pad name changed when I turned the 3rd knob to select a new folder. Was very convenient that way because I didn't have to go and press Shift and turn the knob in order to change the pad name after I had selected the folder I wanted.

Well as long as its sorted out! xD

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 06:52:45 PM »
For instance when Carson uses the 'Real Time Load' method he turns the 3rd knob and the pad name changes to Snare (Doesn't look like he has shift enabled).

https://youtu.be/b7FwkTSeUyA?t=97

RobH

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 06:59:29 PM »
For instance when Carson uses the 'Real Time Load' method he turns the 3rd knob and the pad name changes to Snare (Doesn't look like he has shift enabled).

https://youtu.be/b7FwkTSeUyA?t=97

Iedit - Ok i understand now the pad name changed to the folder you were picking from, ah, so the quick load was always a feature, don't worry man i'm usually wrong haha, from my time here i don't think i've ever noticed the folder changing name as i picked a sound via quick load anyway. Sorry they seemingly removed a feature you liked!!!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 07:10:58 PM by RobH »

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 07:04:28 PM »
Ah, what a shame. I loved that feature. Guess now we all have to manually change the pad name after selecting the sound we want  :D

Oh well! I'll have to get used to it.

Pidcin

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 02:24:30 PM »
Ah, what a shame. I loved that feature. Guess now we all have to manually change the pad name after selecting the sound we want  :D

Yikes can someone explain in small steps HOW to change the pads name ?

I created a sound , and I have it on bank 1 pad 1. And it says “shaker” ... I want to change the pad name to moog . I’ve saved the sound under user 1 and the sound is called moog bass. And it shows this but the pad still says “shaker” can I not rename the pad?

Pidcin

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 02:53:59 PM »
It says sound folder instead of sound type . I can switch th  name of the pad when it says sound type ... but how do I switch them??

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 07:33:31 PM »
Yep, that's all right!

Adding the SHIFT function in this case actually solved a number of paradoxes, fixed several bugs, and greatly simplified the process of selecting sounds and naming pads in general.

In the original operating system, the functionality of the encoders themselves would change depending on what order you used them in: i.e. selecting a pad name with encoder 3 first would in turn fix encoder 4 to a certain sound folder, which could then not be changed without a hassle; whereas auditioning sounds with encoder 4 first would automatically change the pad name, after which the pad could no longer be renamed because encoder 3's functionality would change from "pad name" to "sound folder"... So if you wanted to rename the pad after choosing a sound, you would have to first select a different pad, then return to the old pad to effectively reset the functionality of encoder 3.  Not to mention, if you used the "revert sound" function, the pad name would also revert to its previous designation.

Sound confusing?  It was!

So literally every time you wanted to audition a new sound, the pad name would inadvertently change (whether you wanted it to or not), and you would have to go through that entire process, again and again, in order to change it back.

And there are a number of paradoxes with a system like that, because the pad names have to be automatically correlated with their respective sound folders in order for it to work; however, there are more pad names (all the percussion names for instance) than there are sound folders, and there are sound folders (like User 1-4, Misc., etc.) for which there are no pad names, and pad names (like Synth) for which there are no sound folders... So what's one to do, have the Tempest indiscriminately name every single pad that may or may not contain a percussion sound with the same generic name, and then tax the user with the long-winded process of renaming them all after the fact, only to have your efforts undone every time you change your mind or hit "revert"?  Not ideal, to say the least!

In the end, the solution was to make each of the three encoder functions completely autonomous.  That's why encoder 3 now defaults to "sound folder", while encoder 4 remains fixed to "sound type" (which are the two functions you absolutely need when auditioning sounds).  And you can name or rename the pad, at any time, by simply holding the SHIFT button and turning encoder 3, which is now completely independent of the sound-auditioning process.  It doesn't get any more logical or elegant than that.  It's just different from what you've grown used to is all.  Trust me, it's way better this way, and once you've adapted, I'm sure you'll agree (wink).

Anyway, I hope that clears things up.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 08:17:43 PM by John the Savage »

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 08:13:18 PM »

[...] I want to change the pad name to moog . I’ve saved the sound under user 1 and the sound is called moog bass. And it shows this but the pad still says “shaker” can I not rename the pad?

You cannot customize the name of a pad at the sounds level.  You could, however, change the pad name to "bass":

Hold SHIFT, turn encoder 3...

Cheers!

Pidcin

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 09:14:41 PM »

[...] I want to change the pad name to moog . I’ve saved the sound under user 1 and the sound is called moog bass. And it shows this but the pad still says “shaker” can I not rename the pad?

You cannot customize the name of a pad at the sounds level.  You could, however, change the pad name to "bass":

Cheers!

That does not work whatsoever

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 09:22:31 PM »

Cheers!

Um... It most certainly does.  What operating system are you running?  I'm assuming your on OS 1.5.  Otherwise, I don't know what you're doing wrong.

In case you misread me, you CANNOT change the name of the pad to "Moog".  You CAN, however, change the pad name to "Bass".

Cheers!

Pidcin

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 09:27:40 PM »

Cheers!

Um... It most certainly does.  What operating system are you running?  I'm assuming your on OS 1.5.  Otherwise, I don't know what you're doing wrong.

In case you misread me, you CANNOT change the name of the pad to "Moog".  You CAN, however, change the pad name to "Bass".

Cheers!

No, you’re right. Im on OS 1.4 just checked ...

Don’t even have a computer to update myself ... in a nutshell what are the main upgrade features

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 09:57:22 PM »
You can find the full list of features and bug-fixes in the change-log here:

https://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,586.0.html

Everything listed on that page, which must be a close to a hundred points, has been added or improved since 1.4.

Cheers!

P.S. You can still change the pad name to "bass" on OS 1.4., but if you read my longer post above, it depends on which encoder you turn first...