Strange filter 2 behavior

Re: Strange filter 2 behavior
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2017, 03:39:35 AM »
The thing is that I can get F1 to fully close by running the calibration a few times, F2 never really closes and the cutoff is not as smooth as F1. F2 when sweeping has a point between 100 and 130 where there are no changes in sound.

drxcm

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2019, 06:22:33 PM »
Brand new Pro 2 just opened today and seeing the same behaviour here.
Tried running the filter calibration but no change.
Have emailed support - any other suggestions?

drxcm

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2019, 09:21:47 PM »
When i find the solution i’ll post it here, seems like afew others on here have had the same issue but no followup on what fixed it..

A temporary frustration with my brand new Pro 2 I hope!

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2019, 10:49:25 PM »
drxcm FYI the debug menu can be accessed by pressing ‘Octave Up’ and ‘Down’ buttons along with ‘Global' at the same time. Just be wary while in this menu page.

drxcm

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2019, 12:54:15 AM »
drxcm FYI the debug menu can be accessed by pressing ‘Octave Up’ and ‘Down’ buttons along with ‘Global' at the same time. Just be wary while in this menu page.

Thanks, but what do i do in the debug menu to fix this?

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2019, 02:04:49 AM »
Dsi claimed that the filler tuning inconsistency  was fixed but it is not. I tried to calibrate my filter a few weeks ago and afterwards F2 wouldn't close fully.

I must've ran the calibration unsuccessfully 10 times and then randomly it went back to closing fully.

Brand new Pro 2 just opened today and seeing the same behaviour here.
Tried running the filter calibration but no change.
Have emailed support - any other suggestions?

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2019, 02:45:34 AM »
1. I would do as DSI recommend on this post https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,2742.0.html

2. If previous suggestion fails I would set every knob/button to it's minimum/default position then try again.

3. If above suggestion also fails then go into the debug menu Clear Calibration and try again.

I myself have not noticed this problem. As you can read, people have had a hit and miss experience. However, upon delivery of my Pro2 it  did need calibrating straight out of the box which I did. Good luck.

drxcm

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2019, 09:18:08 AM »
1. I would do as DSI recommend on this post https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,2742.0.html

2. If previous suggestion fails I would set every knob/button to it's minimum/default position then try again.

3. If above suggestion also fails then go into the debug menu Clear Calibration and try again.

I myself have not noticed this problem. As you can read, people have had a hit and miss experience. However, upon delivery of my Pro2 it  did need calibrating straight out of the box which I did. Good luck.

Thanks. None of this has worked. Interesting that the thread you posted saif the bug was fixed ina beta OS but I’m running the latest OS and its still there.

I’ll wait to see what support suggssts

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2019, 12:26:03 PM »
To note, due to the filter's different topologies, filter 2 will never cut as much low end as filter 1. 

There is danger in users presuming that the filter's expected behavior is related to a previously resolved bug.  Please contact us directly in this regard so we can assess whether the synth is working correctly or not.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

drxcm

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2019, 06:56:46 PM »
Ok, so I've been in touch with support.   My issue was identical to the video posted earlier in this thread.

The advice provided by Sequential support was quick and helpful, but did not resolve the issue without my own experimentation.

It was only after considerable experimentation that I was able to get the filter 2 cutoff to behave what I presume is correctly.

The initial advice was to run the filter autotune with the F2 cutoff and resonance knobs fully counter clockwise.  This initially produced a dead zone between fully counterclockwise and 11 oclock, but addressed the strange bipolar issue I was having.

Then this advice was corrected, and I was told I should instead have run it with those knobs fully clockwise.  I did and this  reverted the behaviour to the original problematic state.

Running the calibration did not consistently reproduce the above behaviour.  It was very hit and miss.  Sometimes no effect, sometimes a big effect on the knob behaviour.  Nothing consistent.  Even when clearing the calibrations in the debug menu first.

I eventually got to a good result, after a lot of experimentation, with the following routine:

I cleared the calibration again.
Then ran the filter autotune / calibration with F2 cutoff / resonance knobs fully counterclockwise
This got rid of the bipolar behaviour in my video, and reproduced the pot’s dead zone from fully counterclockwise to noon before the filter audibly started to respond (ie where I got to the first time).

This time however, each time a calibration was run resulted in successive improvements in the response.

The first run resulted in the bottom 1/2 of the filter pot travel being “dead”
The second run resulted in the bottom 1/3 of the pot travel “dead”
The third run resulted in behaviour “within normal spec” with the far ends of the pot travel being relatively symmetrically dead but the pot working correctly.

Seems to be acceptable in terms of functionality at the moment, but I’m not sure now if it’s “normal” or not.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 06:58:36 PM by drxcm »

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2019, 04:34:48 AM »
Hi, received my brand new Pro2 a few days ago, updated it to the latest OS (1.4.0.1)...I had the issue from video 2; low/high/band/notch all have the same behaviour on each side of the midpoint..meaning all the sounds I have made so far are probably wasted if I ever get them to behave correctly...
After running the filter calibration several times (and before this in the debug menu: first 7)initialize calibration then 1)clear calibration) I had one pass when filter2 was almost working as expected...
But the real change came after a calibration that didn´t work (back to the same old behaviour), but then I calibrated the Wheels, and just wanted to check...and all of the sudden filter2 was behaving completely superb, even from top to bottom in all modes...
Very, very strange!!
But anyway, it worked for filter2.

However, filter1 now does not output any sound before the pot reaching about 54. From 54 and up it seems to behave normally. Also the graphical display shows the filter stops around midway down...However, watching the meters in my DAW, the moving of the pot between 0-54 outputs, presumably, very low freq sound...back to beta-testing :(

UPDATE...and the first pass of the filter calibration returned me to the exact same bipolar situation on filter2 as before :-[ I´m amazed (sort of)

« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 05:32:11 AM by aukleive »

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2019, 06:33:59 AM »
UPDATE 2
After almost giving up, I gave the calibration a shot with both the cutoff and resonance set to maximum on both filters...that did the trick for Filter2...
Filter 1 still has this strange output of very LF sound while moving the cutoff pot from 0 all the way up to 39 or so when it starts to output audible, normal sound...I can hear small LF-pops in my subs at ridicolous listening levels between 0-39...

Thanks for a great, great instrument (when it works properly ;-)

best regards

Audun K
Norway
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 06:36:01 AM by aukleive »

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2020, 12:20:49 PM »
hi,

any news on filter 2 issue?
i am experiencing the same problem, and i think this is oddly related to my sliders misbehaving.

only way i succeded getting filter 2 working correctly is recalibrating my sliders before running the filter autotuning process.
it appeared during this process that my sliders can be glitchy when i tap them at the lower bottom side (~1 time every 10 taps).
also in the calibration process the lower side of the sliders can display weird values, leading to a faulty calibration.

once i tried a slider calibration trying to avoid this behavior and crazy values, filter autotuning worked and i got back my filter 2 working.

anyone?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 12:30:04 PM by pluc »

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2020, 01:44:17 PM »
HI All,

I am also having this issue.   I'm in contact with support who want to send me a new main board.  Have any of you solved this issue via board replacement?   @bongmystic I know you said that you did not...

@pluc,  I notice the same thing with slider value jumping, but calibrating the sliders doesn't seem to net any improvement for Filter behavior :(

tommy

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2022, 04:36:27 AM »
I just bought a used Pro 2 and I have the same problem with filter 2 as msflsim  "...F2 never really closes and the cutoff is not as smooth as F1. F2 when sweeping has a point between 100 and 130 where there are no changes in sound".
I have tried initializing, clearing and calibrating the filters many times
Is there a solution for this problem?
Thanks !!

tommy

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2022, 03:15:10 PM »
Hi,
I have been talking to Sequential support and they have told me that I have to send my PRO-2 to repair my filter 2.
Sequential support has been very quick and kindly to reply and propose a solution.
Thanks !!

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2022, 08:15:06 AM »
So are Sequential finally admitting that the issue is hardware rather than software?

I've run into this problem many times and the solution is random every single time. Sometimes I have to run the calibration 15 times before I get "lucky" and filter 2 works properly and other times I only need to run it 2 or 3 times.

Hi,
I have been talking to Sequential support and they have told me that I have to send my PRO-2 to repair my filter 2.
Sequential support has been very quick and kindly to reply and propose a solution.
Thanks !!