TEMPEST SOUND RANDOMIZER for OSX [UPDATE -> GUI Version 1.1]

KoSv

Re: TEMPEST SOUND RANDOMIZER for OSX [UPDATE -> GUI Version 1.1]
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2016, 01:05:21 AM »
Thanks for your reply.
By filter I ment filter settings randomisation.
I am not a programmer too like you but have some experience:
just thought maybe it would be possible to send a midi note which would select the pad and then perform the randomisation routine. And then run all that in a loop for all pads. Not very familiar with Xcode. Which file of the project should be modified
in order to try to perform that scenario?
where about are you based?

P.S.
I think you should get support from DSI for your work. To be honest I changed my mind to sell the machine just because of your software. This world is so unfair it's insane. As soon as I get some cash I'll send you beers. Still paying credit card for Tempest as well)

well Nywknh, thank you very much! I'm really glad to hear that!
I'm in Dresden, Germany.
This is a good idea and not so hard to implement. look for the interface.h/c/cpp (something like that) files and investigate from there. just don't modify the rtmidi library and the sysex bytes file. since you can't mess it up because we are using github ;) play with it!
greetz!
v
Classical piano drilled.
Jazz disillusioned.
Technoid.

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2016, 01:06:32 AM »
TNX for this..i have a question about this wonderfull randomize app.
when I play tempest in sync with ableton live and press randomize botton ,the tempest turn stop.
I think that if you can randomize sound while tempest play i can go in other dimensions :)

tnx a lot again

KoSv

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2017, 04:56:46 AM »
just curious if the App is still ok with new Tempest OS ? Anyone ?
Classical piano drilled.
Jazz disillusioned.
Technoid.

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2017, 08:45:51 PM »
It works and it's amazing!
Thanks a lot for sharing.

KoSv

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2018, 08:13:03 AM »
I'M BACK!
I bought TEMPEST again.
So in the next few months I'll go back working on the Randomizer and porting it for different systems:
OSX
WIN
Linux
Max for Live
etc..

+ new features!!!

cheerz!
van
Classical piano drilled.
Jazz disillusioned.
Technoid.

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2018, 02:58:27 PM »
Welcome back Van!
Nice to hear you’re working on it!
I'M BACK!
I bought TEMPEST again.
So in the next few months I'll go back working on the Randomizer and porting it for different systems:
OSX
WIN
Linux
Max for Live
etc..

+ new features!!!

cheerz!
van

KoSv

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2018, 04:06:25 PM »
hello guys!

so, the old GitHub link for the randomizerOSX app is down.
the reason is: a new version is coming soon!
it will run on: OSX, Windows, Linux!
plans for iOS and Android.
what will be possible to do:
1. randomize quick percussive sounds.
2. randomize custom, f.e. from tempest uploaded sound with given randomization amount.
3. advanced randomizer, where you can choose which parameters to be randomized, and how much.
4. quick renaming of sounds. which is very handy.

Tell me what you think.
greetz!
Classical piano drilled.
Jazz disillusioned.
Technoid.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2018, 04:08:18 AM »
Tempest is VERY VERY scarce in MIDI it receives... in fact i believe it only receive note on/off and a few CC's for the BeatWide parameters plus clock information in addition to some SysEx dump messages.

I wrote an editor for sounds in the old SoundDiver from Emagic, and there is NO WAY you can send any instruction to the Tempest that will allow you to select what pad is active... the sound dump will send it's data to what ever pad you have active, but you will always have to manually select the pad by hand.

Looking into the Beat data is a nightmare... the sound dump is only compressed in DSI normal fashion, but Beats and Projects have an additional layer of compression, and you would have to obtain the algorithm code from Sequential to have any chance of uncompressing that data.... so I'd say; forget it... there are not even any way to edit single parameters... every time i edit a parameter in my editor, the editor need to send the whole sound every time... in addition to this, dumping sounds only work well via USB... there is a deliberately never fixed bug in receiving SysEx dumps thru MIDI DIN.

I know though, that Sequential offered me the piee of code for the algorithm once... I'm just not a C programer, so it was not of any use to me... but if anyone out there want to deal with this, i guess you could always ask Sequential for the details on the compression format.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2018, 04:46:26 AM »
hello guys!

so, the old GitHub link for the randomizerOSX app is down.
the reason is: a new version is coming soon!
it will run on: OSX, Windows, Linux!
plans for iOS and Android.
what will be possible to do:
1. randomize quick percussive sounds.
2. randomize custom, f.e. from tempest uploaded sound with given randomization amount.
3. advanced randomizer, where you can choose which parameters to be randomized, and how much.
4. quick renaming of sounds. which is very handy.

Tell me what you think.
greetz!

Have you thought about making a randomizing feature that see a sound as "building blocks" ?

With this I mean seeing an oscillator section as one block, the LP filter as another, and the VCA as yet another and so on? ... and then simply take random blocks from different already existing sounds to make up a new one?

In many cases, these blocks have been edited in their parameters as a "unit" that gives meaning, contrary to simply just randomizing all parameters separately.

If the different blocks could then be switched in and out of the randomization you might get even more results.

I've attached a picture of my editor... if you see every "block" in it as a module of combined parameters that goes together you might understand what I'm hinting at. sort of like a hybrid random/handcrafted outcome... just a thought :)

KoSv

« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2018, 11:49:02 AM »

I know, I know.. limitations.. my tempest doesn't make my coffee.. ;P
but luckily I have some C/C++ understanding, and yes - I'm aware from the compression issue. since ca. 4 or 5 years :))
building blocks..
well.. yes. I thought about it. And I still do. but in slightly different manner.
My idea is to randomize existing beat patterns with existing sounds. so you get a complete new project with beats that uses preprogrammed "building blocks" from other projects. the idea is from a nice winXP tool for the KORG MS2000 i had(still have ;))

for the randomizer I don't really see much reason to do it. I want to layout sounds really fast and start playing.
for this, the option to choose with the build in/ saved sounds in the machine is too slow.
so I want this workflow:
select a pad, press randomize, select next pad, press randomize etc.. then play/record.
this way you create a whole sound pack in seconds! the only thing you do (and you do it anyway the whole time since social-media) is to curate.
and during the programming I had the whole parameters as layout and grouped in front of me. I never ever had the intention to tweak the knobs in the UI from the app. It was just to be sure, that my compression/uncompression is done right.
so I really don't get it why do you need an sound editor for the tempest..
tempest IS a sound editor by itself. a pretty good one, btw.
but without an randomizer ;)

so right now I'm coding the UI. but the business logic is done and I made sure that it scales. So if i decide to implement something like the project randomizer, f.e. I can build on top of the code I already have..

so chears, take it easy! limitations are one of the most important building blocks of creativity ;)
Classical piano drilled.
Jazz disillusioned.
Technoid.

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2018, 11:57:19 AM »
limitations are one of the most important building blocks of creativity ;)

How true is that!

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2018, 12:01:49 AM »

I know, I know.. limitations.. my tempest doesn't make my coffee.. ;P
but luckily I have some C/C++ understanding, and yes - I'm aware from the compression issue. since ca. 4 or 5 years :))
building blocks..
well.. yes. I thought about it. And I still do. but in slightly different manner.
My idea is to randomize existing beat patterns with existing sounds. so you get a complete new project with beats that uses preprogrammed "building blocks" from other projects. the idea is from a nice winXP tool for the KORG MS2000 i had(still have ;))

for the randomizer I don't really see much reason to do it. I want to layout sounds really fast and start playing.
for this, the option to choose with the build in/ saved sounds in the machine is too slow.
so I want this workflow:
select a pad, press randomize, select next pad, press randomize etc.. then play/record.
this way you create a whole sound pack in seconds! the only thing you do (and you do it anyway the whole time since social-media) is to curate.
and during the programming I had the whole parameters as layout and grouped in front of me. I never ever had the intention to tweak the knobs in the UI from the app. It was just to be sure, that my compression/uncompression is done right.
so I really don't get it why do you need an sound editor for the tempest..
tempest IS a sound editor by itself. a pretty good one, btw.
but without an randomizer ;)

so right now I'm coding the UI. but the business logic is done and I made sure that it scales. So if i decide to implement something like the project randomizer, f.e. I can build on top of the code I already have..

so chears, take it easy! limitations are one of the most important building blocks of creativity ;)

I think you maybe misunderstood what it was that I suggested... it would still be possible to just hit a pad, and press "dump"... I was thinking that if your program had a library of different sounds, that it could randomly pick the blocks from different sounds in that library... but I'm aware that it would require a lot of work to create such a library... and getting the sounds into that library is probably even harder, unless you can read a project file to quickly get the sounds in them into that library.

The reason I was thinking about this block method is that in many cases, parameters work in groups that makes sense, contrary to just randomizing every parameter standalone... Filter EG works with the Fiter settings, VCA with the VCA EG etc... but as I've never made such a randomizing function or seen it anywhere else, I'm not sure if it would even be worth it... I've just had this idea for some time regarding other synths as well :)

And about the need for en editor? ... I can answer that very easily; Overview... I create programs from scratch a hell of a lot faster, when I have access to all parameters at once, and can see their setting on one screen, contrary to having to press those up/down/left/right switches over and over again to find the parameters I want... in that respect I'm very demanding, and always have been... i save a lot of time working with an editor.... for simple editing and adjustments to already made programs I usually use the interface though :)

KoSv

Classical piano drilled.
Jazz disillusioned.
Technoid.

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2019, 06:08:46 AM »
Is this still available? The download link doesn't seem to work anymore. :(

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2019, 06:28:31 AM »

Bottom of the first post..
https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,1297.0.html

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2019, 07:40:50 AM »

KoSv

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2019, 02:41:20 AM »

I'm working on a newer version. It is coming soon.
Classical piano drilled.
Jazz disillusioned.
Technoid.

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2019, 07:31:59 AM »
Wonderful news!Keep em coming!

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2019, 02:47:31 AM »

+1 Can't wait! : ) Will it be available for existing users as a free update or.. ?

KoSv

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2019, 01:20:24 PM »

+1 Can't wait! : ) Will it be available for existing users as a free update or.. ?

I'll have to check the license stuff because I'm using a C++ Framework named JUCE. That way I can do better multi platform development for OSX, WIN, LINUX, etc..
It isn't an update. It's a completely new version.
The old one was more of a hack.. ;)

And of course I'm considering to take a small fee (and I really mean small!) for the work I'm doing. The last version had more than 10000 downloads and all I got is from 1 guy 2 euros... (thanks btw..)
Don't get me wrong - I don't want to get rich (well ok, it would be nice :)), with a small fun project like this, but doing something for entirely nothing feels really strange..
just thinking out loud. what do you think about this?

greets and cheers

EDIT: btw I'm done with coding. The UI needs some love and only the license stuff left...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 01:23:34 PM by van »
Classical piano drilled.
Jazz disillusioned.
Technoid.