BPM Behaviour / Not Sync

Re: BPM Behaviour / Not Sync
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2018, 12:12:29 AM »
Muleskinner, looks like I may have to try before I argue you but to comment the Livet (which I assumed you meant by "etc" GASP - a bigger insult) is like lager to craft beer is crazy talk.

;D

I used to drink the 'Glens' all the time (OK, not all the time, I am not an alcoholic) - once you go full Islay you never go back!  ;)

I guess this stuff is fairly expensive your side of the pond and harder to get hold of the more esoteric brands. I am also a bourbon fan and would be interested in any recommends in that department...

Sorry, this has gone way OT but you started it!

Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

Stoss

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2018, 09:49:39 PM »
I think a dedicated thread to whisky / whiskey seems appropriate at this point. But in the meantime... I would almost agree with the “once to Islay there is no return” sentiment. I started my Scotch Whisky adventure with a Balblair 97. Wonderfully smooth vanilla, caramel, etc. I then found myself heavily in the Islay camp... full love for Lagavulin 16 and could even fully appreciate the more heavily medicinal Ardbeg and Laphroigs. I now find myself able to really appreciate all of them depending on what I’m in the mood for (and keep the cabinet stocked as such). I also enjoy a good bourbon or rye, or many cocktails made with them... Sazerac!!! I could keep going here, but probably best to stop.

Also, while the Tempest clock is sloppy, it luckily doesn’t really hinder the way my group makes music. It’s just one of those many things that I wish DSI would polish... and honestly is a constant reminder that they seem a little incapable of putting the final clear coat on an otherwise brilliant invention.

But yeah... Scotchy Scotch Scotch.

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2020, 04:42:32 AM »
Picdin that is not what I said. I did not say there was no flaws.

What I did say is that the Tempest when slaved is fine. I know it is because I slave mine all the time and it does not fall out of sync by a full bpm every 40 minutes like suggested.

I also disagreed with your notion that the Tempest won’t sync because it’s midi implementation is “piss poor”.

I am the beta tester and spent hours and hours testing sync so yes when I tried to help you in a private conversation and you refused to even try and connect your Kronos and Tempest together after asking for my help because of things you have read about old firmware I did find you rude and pretty obnoxious. The fact you now turn that conversation you said was “over” onto the public forum just proves the point.

Hi there,

I'm pretty much interested in this subject. I'm a new Tempest owner. I used to have an MPC 3000 that I sadly gave away. Too much scratching my head (issues with upgrading its memory to SD cards etc). I' m happy with the Tempest, this is what I' dreamed of regarding its superb synth abilities and great pads and interface. Felt quite at home with that. Now I'd like to be able to sync my Tempest with external gear. Namely some multitrack recording gear. I'd like to try and developp my songs (the audio part) and slave the Tempest so that I could try on different musical aproaches to what I've recorded in audio, let's say guitar tracks and vocal tracks. I' d like to go back to the parts, try and make them different as I go along in the building of the song, including different patterns from the Tempest. This means syncing the Tempest to the multitrack recording device. I have a nice 4 track recorder which uses tape and an old Akai dsp 12 which I used as a master with the MPC 3000. It worked. Now I' m considering buyng a new multitrack device, maybe something more modern and which works in the same way, using the Tempest and syncing with it. I have no clue which gear is right for this purpose. I have no clue if the Tempest will be able to sync up anyway. I don't want to spend time or money for nothing. So if you can help me on this one, providing you have a good knowledge of the sync capabilities of the Tempest and some good advice on how to choose some tape or digital recording multitrack machine.
Cheers 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 04:45:37 AM by forrrestgump »

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2020, 10:34:52 AM »
Hi there,

I'm pretty much interested in this subject. I'm a new Tempest owner. I used to have an MPC 3000 that I sadly gave away. Too much scratching my head (issues with upgrading its memory to SD cards etc). I' m happy with the Tempest, this is what I' dreamed of regarding its superb synth abilities and great pads and interface. Felt quite at home with that. Now I'd like to be able to sync my Tempest with external gear. Namely some multitrack recording gear. I'd like to try and developp my songs (the audio part) and slave the Tempest so that I could try on different musical aproaches to what I've recorded in audio, let's say guitar tracks and vocal tracks. I' d like to go back to the parts, try and make them different as I go along in the building of the song, including different patterns from the Tempest. This means syncing the Tempest to the multitrack recording device. I have a nice 4 track recorder which uses tape and an old Akai dsp 12 which I used as a master with the MPC 3000. It worked. Now I' m considering buyng a new multitrack device, maybe something more modern and which works in the same way, using the Tempest and syncing with it. I have no clue which gear is right for this purpose. I have no clue if the Tempest will be able to sync up anyway. I don't want to spend time or money for nothing. So if you can help me on this one, providing you have a good knowledge of the sync capabilities of the Tempest and some good advice on how to choose some tape or digital recording multitrack machine.
Cheers

Just grab a sampler..
Well, since you’re already familiar with the MPC workflow i’d suggest to grab AKAI’s new line of MPCs.I own the MPC Live and couldn’t be happier.The Mastering template i’ve created for it give’s Tempest that extra tape sparkle and punch ;)
Other options could be Elektron’s Octatrack and Synthstrom’s Deluge.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 10:38:19 AM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2020, 03:03:11 AM »
I appreciate your input on this. Maybe I need to explain a couple of things. I do need quite a few tracks, hence wondering about chosing a multitrack recorder. I absolutely need at least eight tracks more likely 16. They will be used to pile up overdubs as in the old fashion way. This is to experiment several instrumentations, different takes of guitars, vocals. As regards to the Tempest I'd love to work that way too, this is essential. I came up with an idea which is purely theoretical right now. The idea is to use a voice out which will be used as a trigger, for the sake of exemple, a kick sound from the Tempest. If I was to program the kick on every beat for the whole song at a fixed tempo, would that be usable as a trigger provided that I lay it down on a dedicated track of the multitrack device? I mean, could I use this track to trigger the Tempest at any time afterwards. The idea is that I could try and play different beats from the Tempest synchronised with what has been recorded on the recorder? Is that possible? The aim is to be able to experiment different beats while not having to re record the audio parts again and again. This would be really useful. I assume some kind of box could sync up the recorder with the Tempest, providing the Tempest is been used as slave. Any chance ?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 03:07:33 AM by forrrestgump »