BPM Behaviour / Not Sync

Pidcin

Re: BPM Behaviour / Not Sync
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2018, 10:20:32 AM »
Picdin that is not what I said. I did not say there was no flaws.

What I did say is that the Tempest when slaved is fine. I know it is because I slave mine all the time and it does not fall out of sync by a full bpm every 40 minutes like suggested.

I also disagreed with your notion that the Tempest won’t sync because it’s midi implementation is “piss poor”.

I am the beta tester and spent hours and hours testing sync so yes when I tried to help you in a private conversation and you refused to even try and connect your Kronos and Tempest together after asking for my help because of things you have read about old firmware I did find you rude and pretty obnoxious. The fact you now turn that conversation you said was “over” onto the public forum just proves the point.

You’re crazy dude!

I told you I plugged it in and it was clearly your assumption and you raging out at me claiming I’ve been sitting around doing nothing waiting for an answer meanwhile for a span of 6 hours I already had it plugged in, had two manuals open and wasn’t haven’t success . Furthermore I didn’t even say your name or anything .

RobH

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2018, 11:03:43 AM »
edit - Better than this!

« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 12:27:04 PM by RobH »

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2018, 12:13:00 PM »
Rob, brother...don't get sucked into this. I'd like to keep this on topic. PICDIN...this is an inclusive and supportive group that is not racists, homophobic, and tolerant to all. Don' t like the answers you get then figure them out yourself.

So in case anyone is wondering what the hell this thread was originally about:
* MIDI Clock Stability / Drift

It is not about:
* how many times a person can use the work F**K and provide enough grounds for the universe to write our species off as a bad idea.

It might be about:
* a perfect single malt scotch, provided that such scotch was consumed during a MIDI clock stability test and is at least 14 years (preferably 18 years for better results).
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2018, 02:17:19 PM »
Keep on topic people as LicidSFX mentioned..I’ll agree with RobH Tempest got no problems when slaved to Midi clock..I had some rock solid gigs slaving T to MPC Live (btw Live behaves very poorly when slaved so...) As for general sync and Midi implementation i was expecting so much more from Dave Smith/Roger Linn collaboration but...

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2018, 03:04:23 PM »
Did someone say "single malt"?  Don't mind if I do!  It's gotta be 12 o'clock somewhere in the world, right (smirk)?

Just let me fire up my Tempest here... Now, would you boys like to know if it syncs best with an Islay or a Highland?

Going by Lucid's gear list, I take it he's a Highland kind of guy (wink).

Cheers!

dslsynth

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2018, 03:31:45 PM »
When the Tempest is master, every machine we have registers an external tempo 1/10th of a BPM slower than the supposed tempo.  And when the Tempest is slaved to, well, just about any external clock source really, it always registers the external tempo as reality +0.1...

It could be interesting to check the internal clock stability and sync stability for other DSI instruments such as Evolver and P6/OB6 to try and understand whenever its an issue for Tempest only or its a problem in other DSI instruments as well. And who knows maybe someone in the community knows how to improve the stability of event clocks in embedded systems?
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

RobH

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2018, 03:56:52 PM »
Did someone say "single malt"?  Don't mind if I do!  It's gotta be 12 o'clock somewhere in the world, right (smirk)?

Just let me fire up my Tempest here... Now, would you boys like to know if it syncs best with an Islay or a Highland?

Going by Lucid's gear list, I take it he's a Highland kind of guy (wink).

Cheers!

Slaved works well these days John!

dslsynth

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2018, 04:11:26 PM »
How about shaved malt? . o O ( :o )
#!/bin/sh

LucidSFX

• Soundcloud
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2018, 04:18:14 PM »
John, on a more interesting note.....

Glenfiddich vs Glenlivet. This is a question that has puzzled man kind for hundreds of years, is Glenfiddich or Glenlivet the Superior malt? ... As for my argument, Glenfiddich is better as a young malt and Livet is better as an older malt. Breaking even with their 15-year-old releases.  It is more interesting to note, that when slaved, the Tempest BPM paired with an inferior Scotch tends to appear to be in sync for a longer duration but this is due to the intoxicating effects of alcohol plus the inferior taste of poorly made Scotch. It has been well noted that the kind engineers at DSI may have in fact been given Whiskey in the lieu of Scotch as a practical joke from the team at Elektron. Aside from a most excellent Christmas party early on in the pre-development of the Tempest, MIDI stability was in fact overlooked as glasses were filled with each accomplishments. Some say the "Whiskey Trick" was part of a devilish plan to drive customers away from DSI and into the coffers of Elektron. In parts of the world, some sources claim that it was in truth Behringer who deviously orchestrated the whole plan to avoid suspicion and create another NEW CLASSIC REMAKE aka "Tunapest". In 2017, Roger Linn was cornered by Teen Beat Magazine and confessed that he actually didn't like Scotch and preferred a nice glass of Pino to hard liqueur. However, he did make a point of addressing that it would be absolutely absurd to think anyone would not be able to know the difference between a Scotch and a Whiskey unless it was the team at Roland (who apparently after reading this booked a team conference in Scotland....[cit need ***]Nov 20, 2xxx
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 04:22:51 PM by LucidSFX »
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2018, 04:19:49 PM »
Slaved works well these days John!

As far as sync is concerned, I never suggested otherwise.  But the Tempest does have other issues when slaved.

This scotch test, on the other hand, has far more reaching implications... I'll keep you posted (wink).

Cheers!

dslsynth

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2018, 04:38:06 PM »
Thread summary: Tempest clock sync issues detected. Then people started drinking!
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2018, 04:42:12 PM »
John, on a more interesting note.....

Glenfiddich vs Glenlivet. This is a question that has puzzled man kind for hundreds of years, is Glenfiddich or Glenlivet the Superior malt? ... As for my argument, Glenfiddich is better as a young malt and Livet is better as an older malt. Breaking even with their 15-year-old releases.  It is more interesting to note, that when slaved, the Tempest BPM paired with an inferior Scotch tends to appear to be in sync for a longer duration but this is due to the intoxicating effects of alcohol plus the inferior taste of poorly made Scotch. It has been well noted that the kind engineers at DSI may have in fact been given Whiskey in the lieu of Scotch as a practical joke from the team at Elektron. Aside from a most excellent Christmas party early on in the pre-development of the Tempest, MIDI stability was in fact overlooked as glasses were filled with each accomplishments. Some say the "Whiskey Trick" was part of a devilish plan to drive customers away from DSI and into the coffers of Elektron. In parts of the world, some sources claim that it was in truth Behringer who deviously orchestrated the whole plan to avoid suspicion and create another NEW CLASSIC REMAKE aka "Tunapest". In 2017, Roger Linn was cornered by Teen Beat Magazine and confessed that he actually didn't like Scotch and preferred a nice glass of Pino to hard liqueur. However, he did make a point of addressing that it would be absolutely absurd to think anyone would not be able to know the difference between a Scotch and a Whiskey unless it was the team at Roland (who apparently after reading this booked a team conference in Scotland....[cit need ***]Nov 20, 2xxx

Lucid,

The next time I'm on The Island for a gig (probably this summer), we definitely ought to continue this debate in person!

I have to say though, I agree with your assessment above for the most part.  But if I had to choose, I'd go with a Livet myself (the 18yr in particular is always at the center my collection).  I do, however, have a soft spot for Fiddich, as it was my first foray into the world of fine scotch whisky, many years ago.  So it's a battle of palette vs. nostalgia for me on that front.

As for the team at DSI, it's been well-documented that they're Tequila drinkers... Which may explain a lot (smirk).

Cheers!

LucidSFX

• Soundcloud
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2018, 04:45:56 PM »
That is hilarious! If and When you get to the island give me a buzz!
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2018, 05:06:49 PM »
That is hilarious! If and When you get to the island give me a buzz!

I do have a gig booked in Qualicum Beach in August.  If my schedule allows for it, I'll see if I can't stay on The Island for an extra day or so.  You know, because ocean-going ferries and hangovers... That's a special kind of hell right there!  And this is bound to be the kind of "debate" that requires a day's recovery (wink)!

Cheers!

LucidSFX

• Soundcloud
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2018, 05:54:15 PM »
If it is on a weekend I should have zero problems getting there;)
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2018, 03:30:14 AM »
I hope you're on higher ground there in Victoria, Lucid... Just got a tsunami warning here in Van!!!  There was a 7.9 quake off the South Coast of Alaska an hour ago.  We should be fine where we are, but scary news to be sure.  It's supposed to make landfall there soon.  Stay safe, and stay dry, eh!

Cheers!

*Edit: apparently the warnings for Victoria and Vancouver have been lifted, thankfully, but don't take my word for it.  Not that you'd be checking the DSI forum for public emergency announcements (smirk).
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 04:00:55 AM by John the Savage »

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2018, 04:08:43 AM »
On the subject of scotch. This is by far the best (affordable) dram I have found. Don't be put off by the fact there's no age on it - this stuff is heaven...

Kilchoman Machir Bay

...it's a very peaty/medicinal Islay though. Personally not such a fan of the highland malts, Glenfiddich etc. They're like lager to craft beer!

Also very into this one at the moment, a more Christmas-puddingy Islay...

Bunnahabhain 12 Yr

My Tempest is always slaved but those sync issues sound appalling! I had always wondered about the weird BPM values that appear on the display when slaved.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 04:10:49 AM by muleskinner »
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

LucidSFX

• Soundcloud
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2018, 07:42:54 AM »
John, this was the first thing I checked;) LOL
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2018, 03:10:25 PM »
John, this was the first thing I checked;) LOL

LMAO... Well, with the online habits of this community, you never know (smirk).

Cheers!

P.S. I think muleskinner's trying to pick a fight... Moderator?

LucidSFX

• Soundcloud
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2018, 03:28:07 PM »
Muleskinner, looks like I may have to try before I argue you but to comment the Livet (which I assumed you meant by "etc" GASP - a bigger insult) is like lager to craft beer is crazy talk.

Now to just keep a remote tab on the issue at hand....the fluctuations of BPM on the display are a different issue all together to be ignored like your comment above (*grin*). The machine is naturally trying to keep up with the master device which is also susceptible to jitter/drift. Running the Tempest in slave off the Octatrack (now sold) wasn't great and the OT has fantastic Clock timing. Since I have moved to the island 10 months ago I haven't setup a proper desk to work off of so I have been very hard pressed to test every type configuration...conduct a proper test. However, I will say with other devices, I have never had such a complicated task of verifying clock stability. In fact it was a non-issue going way back to Windows XP for me.  I am heading to Banff for a week and might test this out again off my couch when I get back...
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)