FCB 1010 to control Tempest

FCB 1010 to control Tempest
« on: July 01, 2017, 10:35:02 AM »
Hi, I just had a very successful gig with the tempest.  My Kicks were hitting nice and some of the stuff I programmed sounded like a legit drummer after listening back to crowd tapes.  I'm very happy with the results of the Tempest in this new band and it's given me a lot of inspiration to write for the machine.  What would really take it to the next level for me would be if I could control it with my Berhinger FCB1010.  I'd really like to be able to Mute and Unmute parts/sounds with the foot triggers of the FCB1010 and use the pedals for filter sweeps and volume control. As a bassist this would allow me to interact with the machine more while playing bass, which would open up so many possibilities for me and the arrangements of my tunes.   Has anyone tried this?  It's been a while since I used or programmed the FCB 1010 and when I was using it in the past it was with Ableton which made things simple since Ableton would just link any of the FCB 1010 pedals to a parameter just by engaging it.  Obviously using it with the Tempest will require manual programming, which means I have to learn the FCB1010 better.  I tried just diving in and seeing if I could figure it out but I ended up lost, so i guess it's time to RTFM lol.  Anyway, I was just wondering if anybody else here has had success using the 2 together, and if they had any pointers or tips on how to efficiently use them together.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 10:45:37 AM by InnerLoop »

Re: FCB 1010 to control Tempest
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 10:55:37 AM »
You can set your foot pedal as a modulation source in Mod Matrix and chose your destination.Also check the FAQ thread for the Midi CC messages that Tempest can accept
http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,78.0.html
Another good way to use your pedal is to switch between beats ;)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 10:57:45 AM by Yorgos Arabatzis »

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 12:15:58 PM »
Thanks.  So I'm assuming from that list that there is no way to use CC commands to mute and unmute sounds?  If not I wonder if this is something they could implement because it would be so useful for interacting with the machine while playing an instrument.  It would allow you to easily build up drums parts hands free. 

RobH

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 12:22:26 PM »
Thanks.  So I'm assuming from that list that there is no way to use CC commands to mute and unmute sounds?  If not I wonder if this is something they could implement because it would be so useful for interacting with the machine while playing an instrument.  It would allow you to easily build up drums parts hands free.

There will be no new features for the Tempest, they packed so much in orignally they filled up all the available space for software, adding anything new now means they have to rewrite other code to make it smaller which usually ends up breaking things. I'm not sure whether what you want to do is achievable or not, you can always use the independant outs and run them through something external to do mutes.

Thom

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 04:46:35 PM »

If your pedal board switches can output note numbers then yes you can remotely mute sounds.

Alternatively, as Yorgos suggests, look at the modulation matrix of the sounds you want to mute.

For modulation sources - there are at least pitch bend, mod wheel, breath and expression available as midi inputs. If you can send cv from your pedals then you have a another two sources - foot pedals 1 and 2.

For modulation destination, perhaps route to VCA to control volume.

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 10:36:45 AM »
BRO, I love you!  I believe it does output note numbers too.  So I guess I just have to be in Mute Mode and then it would function just like the sounds section.  Thanks for helping me with this!  I already hooked it up and start setting up presets that allow me to control the decay and filter which is giving me some wicked results. It makes interacting with the beat while I'm playing bass a breeze.  Now I can go insane.  I'll make sure to let you know how it works out. Thanks again, guys!

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 10:44:18 AM »
I'm sure it does output note numbers. I have one but I've never used it to control the T. It's a remarkable bit of gear for the price (though the first two I received were faulty so I don't think behringer's qa is up to much)!
Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher