Prophet 08 suddenly behaving strange?

Prophet 08 suddenly behaving strange?
« on: July 04, 2017, 04:43:15 PM »
Hi,

Today my Prophet 08 is suddenly experiencing strange behavior. The values of the knobs sometimes jump randomly or dont go to zero or 127 when I spin them totally. Also, when twisting the SHAPE/PW knob of OSC2 the sound suddenly dies. When I change preset it goes back to normal. Is there any way to do something about this?

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Prophet 08 suddenly behaving strange?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 06:47:48 PM »
First, do you have the newer Potentiometer Edition (PE) or the older endless encoder version?  If the latter, then you're experiencing a common problem that is solved either by cleaning the parameter housings with deoxit or else by converting your instrument to pots.

For now, do a calibration.  Press and hold the Global button, and at the same time press the LFO 2 button.  The instrument will then do a calibration that lasts a few minutes.  After that, turn the instrument off and then back on and check to see if this fixed the problems.

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 12:18:02 AM »
First, do you have the newer Potentiometer Edition (PE) or the older endless encoder version?  If the latter, then you're experiencing a common problem that is solved either by cleaning the parameter housings with deoxit or else by converting your instrument to pots.

For now, do a calibration.  Press and hold the Global button, and at the same time press the LFO 2 button.  The instrument will then do a calibration that lasts a few minutes.  After that, turn the instrument off and then back on and check to see if this fixed the problems.

I have the newer potentiometer edition. I bought that one on purpose because I was aware problems with the older encoderversion. I did the calibrationroute you told me about andi t does seem to work a little bit better, but still I have these valueproblems. When I turn a knob like in the filter, the values never go to 0 or the maximum or sometimes I cant get an exact value I want (for example with OSC Freq when choosing a C). This happened just from one to the other day.

dslsynth

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 02:12:43 AM »
When I turn a knob like in the filter, the values never go to 0 or the maximum or sometimes I cant get an exact value I want (for example with OSC Freq when choosing a C). This happened just from one to the other day.

Have you checked the PotMode in the global parameters and read about them in the manual?

Also, as far as I have understood it DSI support can replace the old smooth encoders with new dented encoders for a fee.

The problem first described could be anything from faulty pots/encoders to digital hardware problems including flash memory surprises. So well, I would consider contacting DSI support directly as that is exactly what they are there for. Solve problems with the customers instruments.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 02:16:21 AM by dslsynth »
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 06:18:27 AM »
Moinmoin,

"Detent" or "NoDetent" of "EncMode" in global setting is not an option, You must set it according to Your hardware. In Your case to "Detent" (see user manual page 12)!

What you may change to Your taste/needs however, is "Pot Mode", which may be set to "Relative", "PassThru", or "Jump".
Your description seems to be the normal behaviour for "Relative" Mode: the Pot action starts at teh current state of the pot, no matter what value it has.
It is possible, always to get the lowest value at the left, the highest value at the right, but this will normally mean "jumping" of the parameter, because after program change the pots do not automatically mechanically adapt to the new value.
Read user manual page 11 for exact explanations!

RTFM helps 8)

Martin

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 07:50:56 AM »
Yes, it sounds like the Pot Mode.  Try setting it to "Jump" and it should respond immediately to turning.

dslsynth

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 08:42:47 AM »
. o O ( )
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 10:47:01 AM »
tnx guys! It turned out it was the potmetersettings which was set to 'Relative'! I dont know how it happened because I never changed them , but its working like new again!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 10:48:45 AM by neoking »