Problem sending Envelope to an LFO

Problem sending Envelope to an LFO
« on: July 04, 2017, 11:32:14 AM »
Basic soundshaping question from a newcomer to Prophet: In my old JX-3P, modulation has a dedicated delay knob. So with the aproppiate release, I could hear modulation starting way after releasing the keys. I want to achieve the same effect on the Prophet 08. I'm sending Envelope 3 to LFO 1, and using the delay knob. When I hold the keys I hear the effect coming, but when I release them, LFO never starts, even with long releases. Is this normal?

panic

Re: Problem sending Envelope to an LFO
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 07:58:38 AM »
It is normal logical behavior. When you release before the delay time is finished, the envelope will go straight to release phase after the delay time. I can't think of a way to achieve exactly what you want on the prophet. Certainly not the same, but something you could try to see if it gets you somewhere:
- set the bpm to lowest value
- set the sequencer to "no gate"
- set LFO amount as sequencer destination
- check out which step corresponds with the delay time you want, and set your values from that step on

But if the sequencer returns to step 1 before your release is finished, you will hear the LFO turning off again.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 08:19:00 AM »
Envelope 3 should be controlling LFO 1 Amount.  The Attack sets the rate at which the Amount increases, whereas the Delay only postpones the time at which this increase begins.  Make sure you've got the Sustain on full.  Once you release a note, the modulation Amount should then decrease according to the Release parameter's setting.

panic

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 08:58:43 AM »
Envelope 3 should be controlling LFO 1 Amount.  The Attack sets the rate at which the Amount increases, whereas the Delay only postpones the time at which this increase begins.  Make sure you've got the Sustain on full.  Once you release a note, the modulation Amount should then decrease according to the Release parameter's setting.

Of course, but this is not the issue if I read correctly. what he asks can not be done, only approximated. Another way to approximate would be to use env 3 with a negative amount, to have the modulation only kick in at the release phase. But still, quite different.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 09:17:56 AM »
I'm just trying to be clear and simple about it for a newcomer to synthesis.  If this doesn't work, then something is wrong, and rather than find a work-around, he should figure out why it's not working.

panic

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 12:20:14 PM »
Sacred, you are right, it is always a good idea to give a newcomer basic advice. But you are just not reading the opening post well. He describes he successfully figured out to use env 3 to create a delayed modulation of the LFO. As I said in my post, everything is working as it should, the functionality he wants is just not present, and I explained exactly why: env 3 will go straight from delay to release phase. There just is no attack and sustain then, the keys aren't pressed anymore. Hence, only (incomplete) workarounds are possible.
(I am sorry, I'm probably coming over as an incredible smartass. I mean no disrespect, I actually learned a lot from your posts)
Another suggestion for a workaround: instead of using the sequencer as I described, you could use a slow square wave LFO to modulate LFO amount of the first. But again, as the LFO will begin its second cycle, it will turn the first LFO off again (now if they only had included a one shot option for the LFOs).

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 11:37:35 AM »
Wow thanks so much for your advices! I tried and learned those three workarounds to reach the effect. For this specific musical part negative envelope to LFO Amount seems to do the best job.