AS-1 MIDI SysEx specs?

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
AS-1 MIDI SysEx specs?
« on: June 12, 2017, 04:57:41 AM »
Does anybody know if the Toraiz AS-1 is compatible with Prophet 6 presets?

I'm thinking about getting one specifically for bass tracks, but I would like to know if the MIDI SysEx is the same as for the Prophet 6, or if it is different, and in that case where I can find info on the MIDI SysEx commands etc... I have no intention on programming this without an editor, so I need to know this before buying one :)
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Re: AS-1 MIDI SysEx specs?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 01:31:49 PM »
Does anybody know if the Toraiz AS-1 is compatible with Prophet 6 presets?

I'm thinking about getting one specifically for bass tracks, but I would like to know if the MIDI SysEx is the same as for the Prophet 6, or if it is different, and in that case where I can find info on the MIDI SysEx commands etc... I have no intention on programming this without an editor, so I need to know this before buying one :)

I doubt it'd be the same, as its SysEx manufacturer / product IDs are referenced to Pioneer DJ. Page 30 in the owners' manual onward has the relevant stuff.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

dslsynth

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 01:43:29 PM »
Page 30 in the owners' manual onward has the relevant stuff.

Unfortunately its only the CC and NRPN information, not parameter positions within the program vector.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 02:33:29 PM »
In my case, the SysEx headers are the most important... the requests and dump macros... If SoundTower can make an editor for it, it must be there, but Pioneer has no info on it, that is why I'm asking here, since it's DSI who made the software, so they should know... so I hope they will answer my question... If I cannot get the info, I'm not getting one, it's that simple... then I'll find some other monophonic analog synth for basslines... the Toraiz just felt like the right choice...

dslsynth

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 02:44:48 PM »
Well, I am very sure a sysex manual for AS-1 can be made. I am just not sure when/if it will happen. Depends on internal information.

Have you considered taking a look at MFB Dominion Club? It looks interesting!

But of cause that may have the same problem. Not sure if/how MFB documents their sysex formats.
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 05:54:41 PM »
In my case, the SysEx headers are the most important... the requests and dump macros... If SoundTower can make an editor for it, it must be there, but Pioneer has no info on it, that is why I'm asking here, since it's DSI who made the software, so they should know... so I hope they will answer my question... If I cannot get the info, I'm not getting one, it's that simple... then I'll find some other monophonic analog synth for basslines... the Toraiz just felt like the right choice...

Use the SoundTower editor to initiate a dump, sniffing the MIDI packets with something like MIDI-OX or the like.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 03:47:36 AM »
Well, I am very sure a sysex manual for AS-1 can be made. I am just not sure when/if it will happen. Depends on internal information.

Have you considered taking a look at MFB Dominion Club? It looks interesting!

But of cause that may have the same problem. Not sure if/how MFB documents their sysex formats.

Yes... I actually have, but MFB are not known for SysEx at all, so I did not bother looking at it for this purpose... the reason I chose to go for the Toraiz was that I know it's DSI, it's nice filters, it's sequencer functions, it's many storage slots and the built in FX... and of course because I thought it would have the SysEx to be capable of creating an editor for it... if it had a decend editor I would not care, but I simply refuse to buy the SoundTower shit... it's not a company I want to buy editors from...

Frantically there are not many other options... unless I want to get a Pulse 2 for the fourth time ... which I would rather avoid...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 03:49:24 AM »
No... I won't buy that shit, just to get at the SysEx... besides, I have a principle here... the MIDI specs originally claimed that users of the protocol should make SysEx specs available to the user... so I am not supporting this hiding of info in any way... they can either supply me with the info, or I'll find another synth, it's that simple ;)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 10:17:34 AM »
Funny... I just read the manual, and all the SysEx requests and dump strings are there... it's basically as with all the new manuals from DSI... the string headers are there, but the entry in the data is not there, so you will have to analyze all yourself... well... I've done that with the P12 allready, so I can do that with the AS-1 as well... thats cool because I really need this device for my new setup.

dslsynth

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 11:30:47 AM »
How about asking DSI directly for that information? ;)
#!/bin/sh

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 03:07:12 PM »

Well... nothing ever came out regarding the P12, but I guess it would not hurt to ask... I hope they will because my plan is to buy three of them...

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2017, 02:48:58 PM »
No... I won't buy that shit, just to get at the SysEx... besides, I have a principle here... the MIDI specs originally claimed that users of the protocol should make SysEx specs available to the user... so I am not supporting this hiding of info in any way... they can either supply me with the info, or I'll find another synth, it's that simple ;)

The LE version of the editor is free.  That should have all the functionality you need to monitor the SysEx data being passed.

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 03:45:39 PM »

Well... nothing ever came out regarding the P12, but I guess it would not hurt to ask... I hope they will because my plan is to buy three of them...

Just wondering if you ever acquired the AS-1s and if so, how is it working out? I recently added a Minitaur to my setup and I couldn't be happier with it. Might get another.
Original Model D <> Sub 37 <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> OB-6 <> Prophet Rev2 8Voice <> Integra 7 <> SE-02 <> Prologue16 <> Triton Le <> Boss Dr. Rhythm DR-55 <> Sound Gizmo

"They're not aliens...they're Americans!"
(The Mouse That Roared, 1959)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2017, 04:52:09 AM »

Just wondering if you ever acquired the AS-1s and if so, how is it working out? I recently added a Minitaur to my setup and I couldn't be happier with it. Might get another.

No... I redecided, as my workflow changed quite significantly... so I'm guilty of not being able to answer your question :)