Fine tune as mod destination

Fine tune as mod destination
« on: June 27, 2017, 12:58:49 PM »
Hi,

While programming some sounds I've found that I'm missing some finer control over pitch modulation. Even an amount of 1 is to large when trying to get some subtle pitch modulation. One way to add this possibility without messing with the current range would be to add a few modulation destinations with a smaller pitch range:  Osc1 FTune, Osc2 FTune, OscAll FTune.

/Mikael

dsetto

Re: Fine tune as mod destination
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 09:03:42 PM »
Would setting a small enough amount value be what you're looking for?

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 08:16:53 AM »
No, the problem is that there's too few steps in the semitone range.

After checking again I can see there's a difference between using LFO amount directly versus using the mod matrix. If using the mod matrix the amount 1 corresponds to about 25 cent and amount 2 around 50 cent.

If using the LFO amount directly I'd say that you have about double the resolution, i.e. amount 2 is 25 cent and 4 is 50 cent.

I'd like to have the 127 values in the +- 100 cent range or something similar...

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 09:22:32 AM »
Most of the time I've used the mod wheel to control LFO amount to get those smaller fractional values.

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 09:31:16 PM »
No, the problem is that there's too few steps in the semitone range.

After checking again I can see there's a difference between using LFO amount directly versus using the mod matrix. If using the mod matrix the amount 1 corresponds to about 25 cent and amount 2 around 50 cent.

If using the LFO amount directly I'd say that you have about double the resolution, i.e. amount 2 is 25 cent and 4 is 50 cent.

I'd like to have the 127 values in the +- 100 cent range or something similar...

I agree that a more fine resolution is needed. There is a not so subtle phasing that is desirable in the single digit cent range for detuning. Having only large increments sounds, well, digital...
Moog One <> Prophet Rev2 16V <>  Andromeda <> Kronos 61 <> Nord Stage 2 HA76 <> Integra 7 <> Minilogue XD module <> Blofeld desktop <> Behringer Model D <> Minitaur <> Slim Phatty <> Matrix 1000 <> Micron <> Privia PX-5S <>  MODX7 <> TG77 <> ASM Hydrasynth <> Perform VE <> FCB1010

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2022, 08:22:09 AM »
Any chance that Osc1 FTune, Osc2 FTune, OscAll FTune will be added as mod destinations?  If not, could a couple mod sources for 25% and 50% of DC be added?  (Using DC as source and other mod slot as destination, the minimum amount 1 with DC is still too large for fine pitch control.)

It's clunky to have to use the mod wheel to scale down the amount of modulation.

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2022, 09:00:29 AM »
Using this as a workaround for a more gentle pitch modulation by Env3:
-> Setting Env3 attack = zero, setting sustain level around 50% rather than zero, and using a longer decay rate (to compensate for Env3 only going down to sustain 50% rather than zero)
-> Modulating Osc1Freq by the minimum-allowed amount of 1
-> Turning Osc1's fine tune down enough so that when Env3 reaches its sustain level, Osc1 will be back at its proper pitch

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2022, 12:34:44 PM »
Check out this tutorial making vintage modelling on REV2

Really clever way to do tiny, tiny detuning stuff with gated sequencer and scaled through mod slots.
- first detune a negative fixed amount with fine tune
- insert numbers in gated sequencer, one for each voice
- scale that number through mod slot so it scales down
- set gated sequencer to advance on voice trigger so each voice get a different detune

His video explain details....