Feature Request - sequencer transpose toggle

wetfood

Feature Request - sequencer transpose toggle
« on: December 20, 2015, 05:21:03 AM »
Hi,

As a keyboard player who often has my hands on more than one synth at a time, it makes sense for the controls to simply require one hand to operate and leave the other hand free for playing keys. Changing banks is one such example, and I don't mind it so much as I'll rarely use more than 10 sounds in a live set anyhow.

The place I think there's room for improvement is with the transposing of the arpeggiator. I love that you can transpose the sequence as it's playing, however I would much rather be playing another synth than holding the record button down with my free hand in order to do so. Wouldn't it be nice to hit the record button as the sequence is playing and get a flashing light that tells you it's in transpose mode? hit it again and it returns to play-over mode?

Another (preferable) solution could be to use the HOLD button as such a toggle as the sequencer plays as the hold button is fairly useless whilst a sequence is playing anyhow. The HOLD button makes sense to me as it's right there by the keybed and can very quickly be switched to toggle from transpose to play-over mode.

I have no idea as to whether or not this is something that would be possible to modify through a firmware update. I just thought I'd put it out there and see if anybody else has any thoughts on the matter.

Re: Feature Request - sequencer transpose toggle
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2015, 07:06:59 AM »
+1
Great idea!

Out of your two suggestions, I'd much prefer the first one. That's because I think the HOLD button can actually be quite useful while a sequence is running. If you press HOLD, the sequencer keeps going in terms of changing the pitch, but without re-triggering the envelopes. With the right envelope settings, it can actually give some interesting (and very musical) results to toggle HOLD on and off while a sequence is running.

But re-using the RECORD button to switch between play-over mode and transpose mode as you suggest makes a ton of sense to me.
Prophet-6 № 01397 | Prophet-10 № 0174

Jonas Sjöström

• Prophetate the world of music!
    • The Eyes of Olivia Wilde
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 04:38:04 AM »
+1 on this idea :)
Drumtraks, Poly Seq, Mopho, Pro-2, Prophet~5, Prophet~6

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 03:27:41 PM »
just realised my other post is requesting something similar. would be ace to be able to record transposing into the sequencer, but if not, at least free'ing one hand (as per the above suggestion) would be really useful. i use the sequencer quite a lot now - but tweaking other parameters is pretty much impossible at the moment with one hand on the record button.

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 09:34:14 AM »
+1

I made the same request a while back on the DSIforum. I added that the sequencer should automatically transpose with key-play while in UNISON mode as an alternative to voice-steeling. Other ideas are to add a long-press to hold the REC button and I think it would be pretty cool to have the option to setup the sequencer foot pedal to either start/stop or record.

DSI has responded by saying that the current configuration allows you to play along with the sequence which i do not at all disagree with but I think that the majority of P6 owners have another if not several other synths in arms reach that they would use to play along with a sequence.

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 03:09:48 PM »
Yes, I would like to be able to transpose from MIDI, which is more or less the same request...

:)

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 12:12:16 AM »
Same with me - I usually use one master clock and master key provider (Mutable Instruments MidiPal) which centrally clocks and transposes all my gear. To press in that case the record bottom all the time (or stick it with a tape into pressed position) is for me a rather inconvenient option....
BUT - I have to admit that being able to playing notes while the sequencer is running is an attractive Feature which I would like to keep.
Hope that DSI finds a solution for that!!

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 10:54:15 PM »
A toggle feature on the record button (or some other toggle solution) seems to be the best solution for this!
That way one could chose between playing over the sequencer, or transposing the sequencer.

Hey DSI, I really hope this will be implemented in the next firmware! :)

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 09:25:12 PM »
Again, DSI please make this happen !

Hi,

As a keyboard player who often has my hands on more than one synth at a time, it makes sense for the controls to simply require one hand to operate and leave the other hand free for playing keys. Changing banks is one such example, and I don't mind it so much as I'll rarely use more than 10 sounds in a live set anyhow.

The place I think there's room for improvement is with the transposing of the arpeggiator. I love that you can transpose the sequence as it's playing, however I would much rather be playing another synth than holding the record button down with my free hand in order to do so. Wouldn't it be nice to hit the record button as the sequence is playing and get a flashing light that tells you it's in transpose mode? hit it again and it returns to play-over mode?

Another (preferable) solution could be to use the HOLD button as such a toggle as the sequencer plays as the hold button is fairly useless whilst a sequence is playing anyhow. The HOLD button makes sense to me as it's right there by the keybed and can very quickly be switched to toggle from transpose to play-over mode.

I have no idea as to whether or not this is something that would be possible to modify through a firmware update. I just thought I'd put it out there and see if anybody else has any thoughts on the matter.

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 11:18:08 PM »
Please add arpeggio transpose !

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 11:34:47 AM »
Following suggestion to implement transpose-functionality:

"record" has 3 functions(modes):
1) record off & transposing off (default setting) - no Led
2) short pressing (eg. less than 1sec) on "record" activates record-mode (record on) - continuous Led
    you can program your sequence - transposing is off
3) Long pressing (eg. longer than 1sec) on "record" activates transpose-mode (record off, transpose on) - blinking Led
    you can transpose a running sequence either by pressing keyboard-notes or external Midi-notes while "Play" is on.

From modes 2 and 3 you get back to mode 1 by shortly pressing "record"

I would estimate that more than 80% of the needed firmware-code is already there, would be great if DSI could implement the rest ...

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2016, 04:26:31 PM »
100% agree this would be a perfect implementation.

although found a little trick. if you record a midi sequence (i.e in the notes you would press to transpose) and then hold record whilst playing the sequencer with the midi clip playing, it will transpose the sequence being played as per your midi pattern. slight opposite way of doing things - but does free up your hand for knob twiddling. which is kind of the main objective. still your suggestion would be better.

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 10:35:39 AM »
+1 here! would be very usefull