Prophet Rev 2 tutorial

Prophet Rev 2 tutorial
« on: June 23, 2017, 03:07:20 AM »
Hello everyone. This is my first post on this forum.

I would really like to get some tips on my new Prophet Rev 2.
I've owned two synthesizers before (last one a Nord lead 2x) and never learned it properly.

I want to have a different relationship with my new synth, and I guess one of the things would be to learn it's basics and more.

My knowledge right now is very vague and I really don't know what will happen to the sound when I turn the knobs except for the filters and amplifiers ADSR and a little more.

So I'd really love a good video tutorial. I'd even be okay paying 10-20 bucks if it was really good.

What I'm mostly interested in is the basics. I'm not that interested in really advanced sound design.

Any tips and tricks are welcome though. And if there's a good explaining video about synthesizers in generall I wgender appreciate if someone would share a link or two.

Thanks!

kobuz

Re: Prophet Rev 2 tutorial
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 03:44:21 AM »
It costs around 50 euros, but I really had a lot of fun and learning with this book from Rob Papen: The Four Element Synth. Accompanied with 4 dvds with examples it goes really thorough through the basics of synthesis, which can be applied to lots of synths.

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 04:43:31 AM »
Another couple places to look into:

1) Syntorial is a tutorial app that teaches sound design on synths by ear, but kinda expensive; try the 22 lesson demo and see how that works for you. google it.

2) Fred Welsh's "Synthesizer Cookbook" is like 20 bucks on amazon and teaches from a harmonic perspective

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 04:36:38 PM »
It costs around 50 euros, but I really had a lot of fun and learning with this book from Rob Papen: The Four Element Synth. Accompanied with 4 dvds with examples it goes really thorough through the basics of synthesis, which can be applied to lots of synths.

Thanks for reminding me that I still need to get this.

Here is one based on the Prophet 6.
https://www.askvideo.com/course/prophet-6-101-prophet-6-revealed

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 04:25:52 AM »
Thanks for all the answers!

I've started to check out Syntorial, really feels like my type of learning method :).
Hope there soon will be some good videos teaching the Prophet Rev 2 in particular just to really dig in to all it's functions and possibilities, though it would of course be better to have a general understanding of synthesizers and I'm sure the basics will be alright learning this way but I'm skeptical I'll be able (as I feel right now with my level of knowledge) that I'd be able to take any advanced sound designing and apply to Prophet Rev 2 but we'll see when I've given it a go!

MDMA

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 05:23:44 AM »
In my experience, some of the best sounds I've created are by accident. The whole point of a "knobbly" type interface is the ease at which to edit and manipulate the sound.
My advice would be to not view it as a scientific piece of kit that requires your complete understanding before you twist a knob. Dive in and twist away...I mean, what's the worst that's gonna happen.  Trial and error while your learning is going to be the best and most fun way to get your head around things.

Just have fun making noise!!
DSI Rev2, Moog sub 37, Roland JDXA, DSI Pro 2, Novation Ultranova, Access Virus TI, Roland Juno 106, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg KingKorg

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 01:25:23 PM »
Thanks for all the answers!

I've started to check out Syntorial, really feels like my type of learning method :).
Hope there soon will be some good videos teaching the Prophet Rev 2 in particular just to really dig in to all it's functions and possibilities, though it would of course be better to have a general understanding of synthesizers and I'm sure the basics will be alright learning this way but I'm skeptical I'll be able (as I feel right now with my level of knowledge) that I'd be able to take any advanced sound designing and apply to Prophet Rev 2 but we'll see when I've given it a go!

I completely agree with what you're saying. I took the Syntorial course and it did help me get a better understand since I was brand new to synth. Now I just feel like how do I get to the next level. More advanced techniques.  I'm now going through the recommended Rob Papen videos.

kobuz

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 11:41:06 PM »
In my experience, some of the best sounds I've created are by accident. The whole point of a "knobbly" type interface is the ease at which to edit and manipulate the sound.
My advice would be to not view it as a scientific piece of kit that requires your complete understanding before you twist a knob. Dive in and twist away...I mean, what's the worst that's gonna happen.  Trial and error while your learning is going to be the best and most fun way to get your head around things.

Just have fun making noise!!

I partly agree with you, though it is a good thing to at least know some basics of the differenct functionalities available for you. When I got past just knowing about the filter cutoff/resonance and the amp envelope, a world of new sounds became available. Still lots to learn and love doing that by trial and error. One of the reasons I try to only buy synths or other equipement with as much 'one button a function' as possible :)

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 05:06:39 AM »
Hello again.

I've started doing some exercises with Syntorial-demo, and I think it can be useful when I get to the more advanced / basics.

I gave it a try to re-create a sound from Logic's stack instruments/synths, that I actually once made a sound I was fairly pleased with on my old Nord Lead 2x. But didn't come far with it, messed around with a completely wrong tone for over an hour..

I realized that I could learn a thing or two if I asked here.

The sound I'm talking about is Analog Perc Sync/JP8 Perc Sync.

I recorded a little clip here for those who doesn't have Logic and aren't familiar with it.
Would be so grateful if someone could explain to me how to re-create a similar sound like this:

In the clip I've turned off the compressor and stereo delay to get the cleanest sound (though the delay kicks in for a couple of seconds in the middle, just to show you what I'm after with this sound).

Anyone want to point me in the right direction? Maybe explain how I'm supposed to analyze the settings of the soft-synth and how to use it on my Prophet REV 2?
Even give me a full walk-through on how to recreate it?
I would learn so much when later experimenting further with it.

Thanks in advance.

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 03:22:17 AM »
Or if this isn't the place to ask this kind of thing. Could anyone point me in the right direction? :-)

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 05:48:13 AM »
Have you driven by youtube or Vimeo and searched with your search terms? I am certain there are videos out there that wil help you.

Also look at the site "Lynda.com". Lots of tutorials there for many different things.

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 07:46:23 AM »
I've tried searching but I haven't really gotten the results I was looking for when I quickly looked through my search results.

The reason I'm really looking for a Prophet Rev 2 tutorial is because the way I learn things is to learn one series of steps on how to do something (not to basic) on one specific, in this case, synthesizer and expand my knowledge small steps at a time and after that widen that knowledge to, in this case, other synthesizers.

Since this is my learning technique with lots of things, it's harder for me to actually learn something on synthesizer 1 to preform on synthesizer 2 until I know synthesizer 2 as good as I have a full understanding of every step I make.

Not sure if I explained that good or not but I hope you get what I'm talking about.

Will check out some general synthesizer programming classes on Lynda.com though and hope they will give me a good grip :-).

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 03:21:19 PM »
Another excellent resource is Sound On Sound's Synth Secrets series:

http://sonicbloom.net/en/63-in-depth-synthesis-tutorials-by-sound-on-sound/

They cover a wide variety of topics and can be applied to pretty much any subtractive synth.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

kobuz

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 12:07:24 AM »
Did you read the manual completely? It has lots of information about all the functions and even basic explanation about th theory behind them. I you come across something you don't understand you can try to find something about that on youtube or Lynda or something. That way, you'll be learning a lot more focussed on the functionalities of the prophet specifically instead of synthesis in general.

I would also love it if someone would make hours of video explaining how to do what on the prophet but my guess that's not gonna happen. Did you check out the book from Rob Papen? He uses different synths to explain the theory and I found that I was easily able to project that on the synth I was learning.

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 01:45:58 AM »
As I will be a very fresh Prophet Rev2 user I might be in a good position writing a set of tutorials, I do not like tutorials in video format. I was thinking of writing some "recipes" combined with short audio snippets uploaded to SoundCloud where appropriate. I can publish the tutorials through my own company website or Google or something similar. Of course the tutorials will need to add value to the already excellent Prophet Rev2 manual. If there is interest in this, perhaps we can post some tutorial topics here, for example:

• Creating simple brass style sounds
  • Creating simple <fill_in> style sounds
  • Understand the Prophet Rev2 modulation matrix by example
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 09:57:40 AM »
As I will be a very fresh Prophet Rev2 user I might be in a good position writing a set of tutorials, I do not like tutorials in video format. I was thinking of writing some "recipes" combined with short audio snippets uploaded to SoundCloud where appropriate. I can publish the tutorials through my own company website or Google or something similar. Of course the tutorials will need to add value to the already excellent Prophet Rev2 manual. If there is interest in this, perhaps we can post some tutorial topics here, for example:

I think this would be great. I struggle with the mod matrix since there is so many destinations and trying to understand what each can do is a little too much at times.

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2017, 11:45:05 AM »
I think this would be great. I struggle with the mod matrix since there is so many destinations and trying to understand what each can do is a little too much at times.

I see what I can do. As soon as my Rev 2 has arrived I will start to investigate and make notes. This is my "natural"  way of learning things and could become the basis of the tutorials. The really great thing about synths such as the Rev 2 is the immediacy of the "user" interface. I didn't manage to understand the inner workings of my Waldorf Blofeld until I installed and learned to work with a computer based Blofeld editor. After I managed to develop an internal picture of how the inner sound engine was structured, the annoying Blofeld desktop interface became easier to understand.

In my opinion what makes a great synthesizer design is an internal "engine" that facilitates many different ways of shaping and changing (in time) of the original sound generated. What I have heard so far, regarding the Rev 2, is absolutely wonderful. Sacred Synthesis, using the Prophet 8 and other DSI synths, is a master at creating sounds that change in time and space, never sounding dull. Listen to his videos, close your eyes and try to work out what it is that changes in the sound, given that they all originate from relatively simple electronic oscillators and wave shapers.

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2017, 11:05:36 PM »

I also would really like and appreciate this, and of course a tutorial doesn't have to be in video format, I actually prefer when they are not to really be able to read into and try it in my own pace.

And just to give a reply to previous posts since the last time I was here, I really appreciate all tips and I'm looking into these, also finally had the chance to sit down and play around with my Prophet Rev 2. I'm able to get some really good sounds, the reason I want to learn more about how to do create and change the sounds is because I'm unable to create the sounds I've got in my head.
I posted this thread because I've seen there's a couple of tutorials out there for other DSI synths and figured that someone with good understanding and knowledge might be inspired to create a tutorial for some pretty basic understanding.

Hope you're Prophet Rev 2 has arrived Gerry Havinga by now, otherwise you're welcome to come and play around with mine :-).

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 12:04:16 AM »
Hope you're Prophet Rev 2 has arrived Gerry Havinga by now, otherwise you're welcome to come and play around with mine :-).

Whoaa that is a nice offer, thank you.

My favorite shop ;) has confirmed they expect their first delivery of 10 eight voice Rev2s sometime at the beginning of this week.  The owner told me I am at the top of their list to call. As soon as I get the call, I am out of here (work that is) and drive down to collect it. I will take a day off work to dive into the architecture, in the meantime I have read the full manual almost twice. I jotted down my first notes and ideas on how I want to setup the tutorials. 

If the Rev2 hasn't arrived this week I might take you up on your offer.

stb

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2017, 01:33:10 AM »

Whoaa that is a nice offer, thank you.

My favorite shop ;) has confirmed they expect their first delivery of 10 eight voice Rev2s sometime at the beginning of this week.  The owner told me I am at the top of their list to call. As soon as I get the call, I am out of here (work that is) and drive down to collect it. I will take a day off work to dive into the architecture, in the meantime I have read the full manual almost twice. I jotted down my first notes and ideas on how I want to setup the tutorials. 

If the Rev2 hasn't arrived this week I might take you up on your offer.

I'm really looking forward to hearing your first thoughts once you could spent some time with the REV2! You seem to have a much more thought-out approach to your purchase that than I have had ;)

I've had mine for almost a month now. I feel fairly familiar with it now and it didn't take a lot of time getting used to it. It's very intuitive. Still I'm learning new things about it every day. ATM I try to back-engineer some of the presets to become a bit more focused in my sound design. I think you're going to have a great time with it, Gerry!