Oscillator Issues

Propheteer

Re: Oscillator Issues
« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2017, 08:00:11 AM »
This issue is unacceptable for such a pricy synth , I would think that DSI would stop shipping and fixeed the issue first.

I sent back the Rev2 to get my money back and got a Novation Peak instead, not only it can do a lot more it's cheaper. I will repeat what i said before even if admins get upset , it's not the quality us users are expecting from such pricey products !

At the least, it would be handy to have an official document that describes the perceived problem, a factory test mode that allows one to cycle through the voices (8- or 16-voice variants), and a procedure to set the default patch to pass / fail the test. This would allow distributors or retailers to, at the customer's discretion, identify a unit which suffers from the problem prior to dispatch / purchase.

It's been described in this thread in minute detail. It takes seconds to check. init basic program (so only osc 1 is on), select triangle, and play a key repeatedly, do they all sound more or less the same (some slight volume variance is ok and welcome) does one or more sound like a bit  of saw wave of shape mod has been applied? if so you have the issue (I do on one voice). I haven't noticed it at all in my usual sounds/programming unless I specifically check for it.

The pulse thing is a little different though for me it's on the same voice/chip (you can tell by going between triangle/pulse wave while holding the affected key down), honestly to me it sounds like the shape mod for that one voice/chip is being applied more than the others so it makes the triangle sound sharper and makes the pulse collapse to silence on that one voice.

It's not a life or death issue in reality but its a quirk that would be better fixed esp if everyone isn't having the same quirk. I was told they MAY be able to do something in software for the pulse issue but as I honestly think both issues are linked and that the one chip is just way out of calibration (shape mod seems too much for the one voice/chip on my unit) they may indeed be able to fix both in software. I have to wait till I'm back mid week next week to see about the new board or return/swap the synth.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 08:02:17 AM by Propheteer »

« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2017, 08:15:12 AM »
This issue is unacceptable for such a pricy synth , I would think that DSI would stop shipping and fixeed the issue first.

I sent back the Rev2 to get my money back and got a Novation Peak instead, not only it can do a lot more it's cheaper. I will repeat what i said before even if admins get upset , it's not the quality us users are expecting from such pricey products !

At the least, it would be handy to have an official document that describes the perceived problem, a factory test mode that allows one to cycle through the voices (8- or 16-voice variants), and a procedure to set the default patch to pass / fail the test. This would allow distributors or retailers to, at the customer's discretion, identify a unit which suffers from the problem prior to dispatch / purchase.

It's been described in this thread in minute detail. It takes seconds to check. init basic program (so only osc 1 is on), select triangle, and play a key repeatedly, do they all sound more or less the same (some slight volume variance is ok and welcome) does one or more sound like a bit  of saw wave of shape mod has been applied? if so you have the issue (I do on one voice). I haven't noticed it at all in my usual sounds/programming unless I specifically check for it.

The pulse thing is a little different though for me it's on the same voice/chip (you can tell by going between triangle/pulse wave while holding the affected key down), honestly to me it sounds like the shape mod for that one voice/chip is being applied more than the others so it makes the triangle sound sharper and makes the pulse collapse to silence on that one voice.

It's not a life or death issue in reality but its a quirk that would be better fixed esp if everyone isn't having the same quirk. I was told they MAY be able to do something in software for the pulse issue but as I honestly think both issues are linked and that the one chip is just way out of calibration (shape mod seems too much for the one voice/chip on my unit) they may indeed be able to fix both in software. I have to wait till I'm back mid week next week to see about the new board or return/swap the synth.

It might be able to be resolved in software (by my guess, anyway) with an offset, but it would require per-voice calibration of each instrument at both ends of travel–perhaps as a user-adjustable global set of values.

Ideally, it should be added to the voice calibration routine, if it's not a hardware fault but simply a waveshaper variation (same as any other analogue variation that is accommodated within the auto-calibration).

If it's actually a hardware fault: the doc could be used short-term to identify faulty units, and medium-term for manufacturing QC.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 08:20:54 AM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2017, 08:17:55 AM »
Well let's review the facts Rev2 has DCO's not VCO's and we know there ain't much difference between the the first two,

Yes it does not have 4 Lfo's true but can use 4 effects simoultanously which for me is key killer feature the rev 2 lacks.

They are different synths ideed, and maybe i didn't write my posts correctly but i did like the Rev2 a lot , and was really struggling to send it back, I however do not accept poor quality, have you read my previous post where i explained that not only the osc were an issue in mine but a key started to squeak to a point i had to open it and lubricate it ? UNACCEPTABLE !

If had cash and the issues get fixed i would probably go for the 16 voice version this time , i even got time to make a video demo : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy2-pp6tU-I

Have a listen !

« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2017, 08:54:46 AM »
I agree with jazzy, had my fill of 'fake' synths (digital oscs through analog filters or all digital for that matter). REV2 is the only analog synth in its class to deliver this spec, build quality, thought of design and robust analog sound. I can spot the peak and other hybrids and VAs a mile off, they just don't fill the same need. Of course they are cheaper, so is software... for a reason!

Also I've read many people had issues with the Peak too, distortion issues among them.

This gremlin with the rev2 isn't the end of the world and most people seem to have good units.

Yeah, but let's call a spade a spade.  Some of us have bad boards and have replaced them only to have the same issue, or other issues.  So that is kind of messed up.  And I suspect other users are just overlooking some of these issues.  Again, it's not a deal breaker for me, as I suspect it would get sorted with time.  But it is a legitimate issue.  And downplaying can be a little frustrating for those of us who are experiencing it.

« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2017, 10:01:41 AM »
Well let's review the facts Rev2 has DCO's not VCO's and we know there ain't much difference between the the first two,

Yes it does not have 4 Lfo's true but can use 4 effects simoultanously which for me is key killer feature the rev 2 lacks.

They are different synths ideed, and maybe i didn't write my posts correctly but i did like the Rev2 a lot , and was really struggling to send it back, I however do not accept poor quality, have you read my previous post where i explained that not only the osc were an issue in mine but a key started to squeak to a point i had to open it and lubricate it ? UNACCEPTABLE !

If had cash and the issues get fixed i would probably go for the 16 voice version this time , i even got time to make a video demo : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy2-pp6tU-I

Have a listen !

Well you certainly won't have to worry about squeaky keys with the Peak - it doesn't have any! :)

The Rev2 has digitally controlled ANALOGUE oscillators, not digitally controlled digital ones like on the Peak.

I do not accept your assertion that a squeaky key and a faulty voice chip equals poor quality.

What it really equals is a faulty unit, return it and get a replacement.

I've had no squeaky keys on any of my REV2's and Dave Smith have a great reputation for addressing issues with their products.

4 fx at once is neither here or there for me - I can add as many fx to a sound as I like after Ive recorded it.

4 Lfo's on the other hand...well that fundamentally affects the sound itself and cannot be added afterwards.

The Rev2 has only been out a few months and it takes time to establish the cause of issues. I'm sure if any systemic hardware flaws are found they will be addressed by Dave Smith as quickly as possible.

I think perhaps expecting them to announce a global product recall or instantly remedying it is unrealistic.

Still, what matters is that you are happy and you seem to be pleased with your Peak, so all's well that ends well.

I'm happy with my replacement Rev2 too! :)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 10:08:49 AM by jazzygb1 »

Propheteer

« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2017, 01:18:38 PM »

Not sure what you're saying it but the oscs on the peak are pure digital, and they are 100% analog on the Rev2 (just digital controlled for tuning just like a Juno 60, JX-3P... insert your favored analog DCO synth here). Digital oscs like on peak or even prophet 12 or pro 2 never react or sound quite the same as real analog. It's true that many don't care and maybe can't even hear, but I can and many others can.

For example this Peak sound here from their site: https://soundcloud.com/novation_peak/sweet-saw-pad is a typical example of why I'd never own peak over rev2. To me it's glaringly obvious that isn't analog. It's weak, it's thin, its ineffective and it's hardly much better than a soft synth. The filter's cool but it sounds plastic, it sounds 'fake', it sounds like a VERY VERY good softsynth. But that's all. If that was on rev2 it would sound rich, emotional, three dimensional and pleasing. Even as a "mere" DCO synth with "only" curtis filters, its miles ahead of digital oscs if analog sound is your goal. Never ever buy a hybrid synth like Prophet 12, Pro 2 or Peak if analog sound is what you desire and what excites you into using it. I've used a ton of software, va and older hybrids myself and my ears can't take that plastic sound anymore. I don't want to get into a battle about this but lets say tastes differ as do ears and those who bought and love rev2 know why they did, others seem like they don't know what they want and will just buy a synth, any synth, regardless of the engine or tech underneath if it makes cool sounds and is a good price. That isn't me! I've had far too many synths in my life to get excited about those types of synths anymore.

We bought REV2 because it's all analog, I personally would never buy any new hardware with digital oscs even with the best analog filter in the world because I have a ton of digital synths at my control in software or older, characterful digital synths I can run through my moog filters or w/e. Why stop at peak? why not mention any hybrid, even some with keyboards like pro2 and prophet 12 etc... sure there are lots of synths out there than can do more than rev2 but they aren't rev2, they aren't 8 voice *analog* polys with a good bit of modulation and enough FX to be handy but not too many to become a burden to sound (that we buy analog synths for). Sounds to me like you just didn't really want a synth like the rev2 and are happier with something like the peak. Personally I fail to see the connection, one is a 5 octave quality built analog synth, the other is a desktop, mostly software based synth in a box with an analog filter on it (no matter how cool the engine is).

As for a squeaky key? Sorry but I can't even begin to take that seriously, sure it shouldn't do it from new, but I've owned so many vintage analogs and made it a routine to clean the keys as in strip them down entirely, bathe them in soap, clean the contacts AND regrease them. Flipping the lid on the rev2 - simplicity itself, and putting a touch of lube on one key isn't going to make me give up on one of the best analog synths in years, nor is this small but irritating osc fault/gremlin that some of us are sadly experiencing.

I pressed DSI for a public answer too so I'm not excusing it, and even as well priced as rev2 is it is still expensive and should be nigh on perfect, but as with anything on the net it gets blown out of proportion when reading a forum that is mostly only here to deal with complaints and bug reports. The hundreds/thousands of happy rev2 owners aren't here posting about dodgy oscs because they either don't care (as it's not a very obvious issue in most cases) or because they don't have it. Those of us who do have it are/have been dealt with by DSI and if that doesn't fix it then we return it (if we choose). I wouldn't buy a peak or any hybrid if I returned the rev2. I'd be fine with the other analogs I have here from the 80s, including very nice sounding VCO stuff (but simpler than rev2). The DCOs in rev2 have their own beauty too, I'm not a VCO stalwart but I like to have them around to compliment the rev2. And I do like some old digitals too (and own some) but won't be spending big money on any digital oscillators in hardware, certainly not while the rev2 exists and is exactly the kind of 'pure' synth I've wanted but with enough power to do what I need (inc control features that the prophet 6 lacks).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 01:39:44 PM by Propheteer »

Propheteer

« Reply #86 on: September 17, 2017, 01:27:06 PM »

I do not accept your assertion that a squeaky key and a faulty voice chip equals poor quality.

What it really equals is a faulty unit, return it and get a replacement.

4 fx at once is neither here or there for me - I can add as many fx to a sound as I like after Ive recorded it.

4 Lfo's on the other hand...well that fundamentally affects the sound itself and cannot be added afterwards.
 :)

Agree with this again. I love the fact the rev2 has only 1 FX per slot, if it had 2? cool but it doesn't mean I'd use them both. I've had tons of modern synths with multfx available on board and frankly it gets tiring and it also smacks of a synth with a bit to hide in the main engine (Deepmind 12 springs to mind). Often effects are used to mask or make up for deficiencies in the main synth engine, not with rev2, the nice choice but not overwhelming choice means the board still feels analog to program and design sounds on. Like you I couldn't care less if it had 4 or 1 fx at once as I'll use what it has for a sound, then in a mix is where the real "FX" work comes in should I need it (and there I have infinite). We are too spolied these days and people are making sacrifices in tone or synth engine power (peak or DM12) just to have more FX for a cheaper price? Boggles the mind. 4 X LFOs is very important. Pure analog is very important. 5 octaves is very important. A clear user interface and high physical build quality is very important and REV2 has all of that!

No part of the rev2 feels low quality to me, not even the bender wheels which can often feel weak or wobbly on newer synths. Keybed is better quality than even moog were using on their lower end stuff. It's solid and sounds great and has a lot of power for a pure analog synth. I honestly don't see the problem with that, if it's just not the synth for someone then that's that but many of us have waited for an 8/16 voice dual osc + sub, a few FX thrown in, a poly sequencer, analog poly with 5 octaves in a good build that looks and feels well built, for a long time and at a fair price and nobody, not even DSI, has done that until REV2. The only thing I can think of would be Modal 008 and that's very expensive (and obviously VCO/more powerful but you pay for that), in this price bracket there is literally nothing, not even on the vintage market with this spec/and usability, the REV2 also happens to be able to make glorious epic sounds that no old DCO roland can touch (and I've owned and loved them all in my time). It's not just a spec machine, it actually sounds awesome if you know how!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 01:33:16 PM by Propheteer »

« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2017, 05:22:05 PM »
....and people are making sacrifices in tone or synth engine power (peak or DM12)....

LOL ,Just as we started talking about Peak, it has 3 Oscillators with wave table and TRUE Wave shaping , Rev2 on triangle adds a square wave on top of it (not Waveshaping), Peak has LP, HP and BP VCF , OSC's can be set to LFO mod if needs so thats 3-4 LFO's there for you, Peak has a Ring Mod the Rev2 don't , Peak has poly Unison...

Rev 2 sounds great but please don't make a fool of yourself saying for ex Peak has been sacrificed for Fx before doing some reading and listening to it in flesh. I had Rev2 and now Peak and can assure you it sounds better in most aspects (not all).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 05:25:08 PM by Alphacode909 »

« Reply #88 on: September 17, 2017, 06:14:20 PM »
Often effects are used to mask or make up for deficiencies in the main synth engine

Or deficiencies in ones playing .. like a mediocre pianist using the sustain pedal on Bach 3 part inventions  ::)

« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2017, 06:36:43 PM »
Often effects are used to mask or make up for deficiencies in the main synth engine

Or deficiencies in ones playing .. like a mediocre pianist using the sustain pedal on Bach 3 part inventions  ::)

No offense–and highly off-topic–but there were no pianofortes (or fortepianos!) in Bach's time, so I'd be very careful to consider any proscription of performance technique for a then-nonexistent instrument as authoritative.  ;)
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2017, 07:02:55 PM »
....and people are making sacrifices in tone or synth engine power (peak or DM12)....

LOL ,Just as we started talking about Peak, it has 3 Oscillators with wave table and TRUE Wave shaping , Rev2 on triangle adds a square wave on top of it (not Waveshaping), Peak has LP, HP and BP VCF , OSC's can be set to LFO mod if needs so thats 3-4 LFO's there for you, Peak has a Ring Mod the Rev2 don't , Peak has poly Unison...

Rev 2 sounds great but please don't make a fool of yourself saying for ex Peak has been sacrificed for Fx before doing some reading and listening to it in flesh. I had Rev2 and now Peak and can assure you it sounds better in most aspects (not all).

Most of those things you mention above are also on the £399 Novation Ultranova too.

And that's basically what the Peak is...an Ultranova with more knobs (but less modulation slots, less modulation destinations & less polyphony - 8 compared to 18).

And the UltraNova has a keyboard too!

Actually the Ultranova is cool little synth. :)

If you use an Oscillator as an LFO you lose an oscillator for sound. Much better to have a dedicated LFO I'm sure you'll agree.

And don't forget the REV2 has 2 oscillators PLUS a sub oscillator. Plus you can stack on the REV2, so effectively one patch can be made up from up to 6 oscillators (4 oscillators plus 2 sub oscillators)!

Plus the when the fx section is not in use the WHOLE of the REV2 is analogue, so comparing the REV2 to the Peak is like comparing it to a Studiologic Sledge - they look like they are the same, but they're just not the same thing at all.

I'm glad you're happy with the Peak, but I'm very happy with my Studiologic Sledge too.

As it's digital like the Peak it too has 3 oscillators and wavetables (66 in fact), BP, HP & LP filters PLUS it can load samples and use it as an oscillator. It has a whopping 24 note polyphony with knobs for everything - great! :)

It's a cracking synth, but it's not a viable alternative to the REV2 for the same reason the Peak isn't...it's not analogue.

And ultimately that's the thing that separates it from the Peak, Ultranova, Sledge and all the other digital plugins in your DAW too.

I'm sure the Peak sounds nice but at the end of the day it's a nice sounding DIGITAL synth, The REV2 is a nice sounding analogue one. :)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 07:19:02 PM by jazzygb1 »

Sleep of Reason

« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2017, 07:21:16 PM »
This is getting way derailed, though I'm not sure why anyone needs four effects running at a single instance... Having eight (4x2) LFOs & four (2x2) OSC is way more beneficial to me at least. Nor have I heard anything from the Peak that sounded standout to my ears. Being that it's exactly the same price as the 8 voice module REV2, I have no clue why anyone would go that route, but to each his own.

Back to the topic, I sincerely hope that most of this can be amended with an update somehow. Besides its out of the gate stumbles, it's by far my favorite instrument out of the slews of high end gear I've owned over the years. It's the hot girlfriend that I put up with despite some nagging.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 08:41:01 PM by Sleep of Reason »

« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2017, 07:27:57 PM »

No offense–and highly off-topic–but there were no pianofortes (or fortepianos!) in Bach's time, so I'd be very careful to consider any proscription of performance technique for a then-nonexistent instrument as authoritative.  ;)

No offense taken .. I was a performing piano major in college for four years in the 70/80's, and am well aware of the period correct instruments of the pieces I did at recitals. Bach's inventions were not even published during his lifetime, never the less they have been used for over two centuries in keyboard pedigogy for didactic puposes, with Bach repeatedly emphasizing the importance of developing a cantabile manner of playing, which excludes the use of a damper pedal in modern instruments. The other posters comment on effects used to cover up deficiencies in underlying synth engines reminded me of my students doing the same with the damper pedal .. and his comment and mine are both off topic you are correct .. it was immature of me to devolve with the other off topic comments in this thread i.e. digital vs. analog, Rev 2 vs. Peak, and I repent. I simply wanted to know just how isolated of an issue these faulty voice boards are as it will be very hard for me to have to box the synth up and ship it back due to an un-treated inguinal hernia, but after my post it immediately went to 'I sent it back and bought a Peak' to 'digital synths lack the depth of analog' to .. well where it is now completely off topic .. so again I apologize, and hope somebody from DSI can hop in this coming week and confirm its only a handful of voice boards that have had to be replaced .. there back on topic  ;)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 07:46:29 PM by cloudswimmer »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2017, 10:11:07 PM »
How about getting back to the original topic, or one of us will have to cut up this discussion into several threads?

Personally, I find the last few comments to be very interesting and worthy of a new thread, but I doubt folks would have much more to say about it.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 07:22:05 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2017, 11:19:43 PM »
How about getting back to the original topic, or one of us will have to cut this up into several threads?

Personally, I find the last few comments to be very interesting and worthy of a new thread, but I doubt folks would have much more to say about it.

Ok sounds good to me, and again I apologize for my contribution. Ok ..... so for those that have swapped in new voice boards, how many screws do you have to remove to get at it? I assume you remove the wooden side panels, then turn the unit upside down and remove the rest of the screws?

« Reply #95 on: September 18, 2017, 04:20:21 AM »
Yes you have to remove the side panels which are held on by 3 philips screws.

Then you unscrew 8 philips screws on the rear of the case and then the front panel just lifts off.

If it's a 16 voice then inside the extra 8 voice board itself is just another two screws, so the whole thing is very simple and less than a 10 minute job.

If you have to swap out the main board (underneath the voice board), then it'll be a little more difficult & laborious as you'll have to remove cable connectors and unscrew the quarter inch jacks etc, but again it's relatively simple and I'd estimate replacing everything would take less than 30 minutes.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #96 on: September 18, 2017, 06:27:08 AM »
How about getting back to the original topic, or one of us will have to cut this up into several threads?

Ok sounds good to me, and again I apologize for my contribution.

No problem.  We all do it.

« Reply #97 on: September 18, 2017, 07:19:30 AM »

Then you unscrew 8 philips screws on the rear of the case and then the front panel just lifts off.

If it's a 16 voice then inside the extra 8 voice board itself is just another two screws, so the whole thing is very simple and less than a 10 minute job.

If you have to swap out the main board (underneath the voice board), then it'll be a little more difficult & laborious as you'll have to remove cable connectors and unscrew the quarter inch jacks etc, but again it's relatively simple and I'd estimate replacing everything would take less than 30 minutes.

Even the main board wasn't that difficult to remove, and I definitely think I did it in less than 30 minutes.  You do end up having to remove all the nuts from the input jacks.  That's where you could scrape the panel.  Also I find I never get them quite as tight as they were from the factory when reassembling.

« Reply #98 on: September 18, 2017, 03:28:04 PM »

You do end up having to remove all the nuts from the input jacks.  That's where you could scrape the panel.  Also I find I never get them quite as tight as they were from the factory when reassembling.

I guess the thing to do would be to find out what technique and tool manufacturing is using to tighten those nuts without scratching the panel. Perhaps a piece of clear page protectors .. cut a hole in it with a slit so it just barely slips over the jack, tighten the nut down with a quality socket, then remove the plastic and repeat on the next one.

« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2017, 02:44:29 PM »
I'm being assisted by DSI to try and work out the problem, but I'm tempted to return for a refund whilst I still have the time to.

Really conflicted as in every other way I really, really like this synth.

After further investigation, here’s what I now know for certain…

1: This problem only occurs on oscillator 1, oscillator 2 seems to behave as expected.

2: it only happens on keys to the left of Middle C.

3: With the triangle shape selected the further down the keyboard you move, the more pronounced and dominant the erroneous sound is.

4: On a pulse wave shape Mod to 50% to be square, the problem is exacerbated to the point that certain notes don’t sound at all.

5: The pulse wave notes that don’t sound seem to be D3, D♭, B♭, G2, and D1.

6: And this is the big one…It seems to happen on every 16th note. By that I mean that if I repeatedly play any of the affected notes, the symptom will show itself on the 16th press of the key.

I’ve uploaded another video which more clearly shows the issues which can be viewed by clicking the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZaYN5lVmP4&feature=youtu.be

PS: This happens on the effected keys whenever I have played 16 notes, so I do not have to play the same note repeatedly to produce the fault. I could for example play a 15 note solo on the upper part of the synth and if the 16th note I press is one of the lower effected keys it wouldn't sound/sound incorrectly.
So this issue has 'real world' implications and genuinely affects the playability, this isn't as issue that only occurs when the same note is played 16 consecutive times and if it was then it wouldn't be a problem.
Hey there, I have a similar issue from the middle C and left, osc1 (ALL WAVES) in my prophet 08 pe. Is there anybody else here that had similar issues, and if yes, how did you deal with them? I also had the volume/saw buzz difference every 9 voices...