OB6 feature request(that stays within design philosophy)

OB6 feature request(that stays within design philosophy)
« on: June 22, 2017, 09:50:54 AM »
First off, I LOVE my OB6 desktop.  I lusted after it for so long and sold/saved so much to get it and I'm so in love with it.  Thank you Dave, all at DSI and Tom for it.  It's my dream synth.  When I'm not playing it, I STILL have a music channel up for it and I'm listening to clips of it.  It inspires me so much.  I love it so much I want to add a second one lol.

This is my first synth from you guys and as I look around at your other synths and past offerings I noticed all of them over time got OS upgrades and added features so I hope we get some upgrade action too 8).

I understand completely Dave's design philosophy on the OB6/Prophet 6 about not adding hidden features(though I wouldn't mind them at all), and knob per function...

So one thing that I would request that stays in the realm of this(not adding hidden features, or features with no controls, controls would remain the same) but would be a very powerful upgrade, is to simply make the LFO per voice and some way(the globals 9 second function isn't being used, but that's global) to switch between the current SYNCed between the voices LFO, and a per voice LFO.  That would keep the current patch/rom set intact and would greatly expand the synth...

This obviously would extend to the prophet 6 too since the architecture is so similar.

I wouldn't mind if you decided on some way of a second LFO lol, but I think that's not as likely and not in-line with the design philosophy. 

Just a humble request that would be awesome.

Again thank you so much for making the OB6, love it very much!

« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 10:03:05 AM by John01W »

Re: OB6 feature request(that stays within design philosophy)
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 10:51:33 PM »
I doubt very much that this could be possible at all without re-writing a big chunk of the code in the firmware. It might even be impossible on the hardware side of things, since mutliplexing six additional independent CVs (one to each voice card) might not be feasible.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

Re: OB6 feature request(that stays within design philosophy)
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 12:52:36 AM »
I doubt very much that this could be possible at all without re-writing a big chunk of the code in the firmware. It might even be impossible on the hardware side of things, since mutliplexing six additional independent CVs (one to each voice card) might not be feasible.

Think about it....The EGs are per voice and they control cutoff. amplitude....the parameters of oscillator 1 can be controlled per voice if controlled by osc 2 in X-mod(more parameters than the lfo has)...from a hardware perspective the OB6/Prophet6 already does it, just not with the lfo.

An easy way to turn it off/on would be holding the "lfo sync" button.  The lfo sync button would work like normal(light on or off from subsequent button presses) syncing the lfo to clock or not....but when you held the "lfo sync" button you could scroll between 2 options on the display screen....snc(sync like it is now) and mlt(for per voice lfo)...when you release lfo sync button it's normal on/off state for the lfo clock sync would be like it always was....Similar to what they did with the distortion(hold the button and the distortion parameter appears)...

No need for additional controls which would stray from the design philosophy or anything hidden because it's just per voice or synced...lfo parameters are master controls either way(Korg Minilogue has this option, but with menu diving)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 01:39:10 AM by John01W »