Jumpy Behavior on Two Encoders

Rico

Re: Jumpy Behavior on Two Encoders
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2017, 01:01:27 AM »
I had this issue as well, with jumpy encoders. Got the replacement boards from DSI yesterday. Installation was really easy, and solved the problem. However, as someone stated earlier, the instructions does not mention anything about how to remove and reattach the screen. A word of warning: It’s easy to remove, but be careful when putting it back on the new board! I accidentally cracked the corner of the display when pushing down to attach the display...

« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2017, 08:07:51 AM »
the 1.0.6.5 firmware update didn´t solve this issue - at least for me. still jumpy behaviour of some encoders, specially the osc freq ones
PT10/12HD, Logic X, Digital Performer, Vienna Ensemble Pro
cMP 5,1 Catalina; MacBook Pro

stb

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2017, 08:41:15 AM »
the 1.0.6.5 firmware update didn´t solve this issue - at least for me. still jumpy behaviour of some encoders, specially the osc freq ones

Are your OSC Freq-encoders jumpy in the sense that they erratically change Values (let's say from C1 to G4 to F3 or something, as some others here describe) or are they just super sensitive and it's hard to dial in a specific value? Because I'm experiencing the latter and I'm still not sure if that's just normal or a case of faulty encoders as others are experiencing it.

« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2017, 08:58:14 AM »
Please note that the oscillator frequency controls in the Prophet Rev2 are not rotary encoders. They are potentiometers.

The potentiometers will be less accurate for small value changes than the detented rotary encoders, though they are the preferred performance control for most people. This is why our synths feature a combination of rotary encoders and potentiometers.

Since tweaking a parameter on the front panel brings that parameter to the display, use the Value encoder to make small tweaks that are facilitated by the detented encoder after getting in the ballpark with the potentiometer, if you are having trouble making single value adjustments with the potentiometer.
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2017, 01:24:21 PM »

Are your OSC Freq-encoders jumpy in the sense that they erratically change Values (let's say from C1 to G4 to F3 or something, as some others here describe) or are they just super sensitive and it's hard to dial in a specific value? Because I'm experiencing the latter and I'm still not sure if that's just normal or a case of faulty encoders as others are experiencing it.

They are just super sensitive. Maybe the newest firmware 1.0.7.1 will give some improvement - otherwise I´ll have to live with the workaround to use the value-encoder
PT10/12HD, Logic X, Digital Performer, Vienna Ensemble Pro
cMP 5,1 Catalina; MacBook Pro

« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2017, 07:18:14 PM »
I was having this issue on a couple of my encoders but the latest update completely fixed it (OS 1.0.7.2)

dsetto

« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2017, 11:15:24 PM »
...  Since tweaking a parameter on the front panel brings that parameter to the display, use the Value encoder to make small tweaks that are facilitated by the detented encoder after getting in the ballpark with the potentiometer, if you are having trouble making single value adjustments with the potentiometer.
good stuff

« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2017, 01:36:51 AM »
chaps,

i just took ownership of serial number 587 today (16 voice) and i do see there is a new update posted online.

before I update, can you cats who had issues with the jumpy encoders share what that looks like? id like to test this unit to see it i can reproduce it. also is there a specific encoder or any random one?

cheeers.

MDMA

« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2017, 03:34:18 AM »
I think this encoder thing has got a few people confused.

The original issue I had with the encoders was a mechanical issue, they were not responding sometimes and jumping at the lightest touch. Only when I removed the boards could you tell that the dials were stiff and not turning correctly.

The other issue that some people are perceiving to be a "jumpy encoder" issue is, over sensitive dials.

If you have an issue with the encoders the same as I did, then you will know the instance you turn one, it doesn't feel the same as the others.

DSI Rev2, Moog sub 37, Roland JDXA, DSI Pro 2, Novation Ultranova, Access Virus TI, Roland Juno 106, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg KingKorg

« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2017, 06:54:45 PM »
I just received mine and I love it!!! Unfortunately, 3 encoders skip a value 1 time out of 3 when going down. This is really annoying since I have to go up and down a couple of times to reach the value I want sometimes. I'm on FW 1.0.7.2 ... For live situation this is less then ideal so I'm wondering if it's a hardware issue or it can be fixed in an update :S

MDMA

« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2017, 01:35:53 AM »
I think that's normal behaviour!
DSI Rev2, Moog sub 37, Roland JDXA, DSI Pro 2, Novation Ultranova, Access Virus TI, Roland Juno 106, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg KingKorg

« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2017, 09:16:36 AM »

mmm my tetra didn't do that ... why have detented encoders if the dents don't match the value? It's really annoying and only 3 of them do that.

MDMA

« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2017, 09:35:53 AM »

mmm my tetra didn't do that ... why have detented encoders if the dents don't match the value? It's really annoying and only 3 of them do that.

All depends at what speeds you're turning the dial, all my synths behave the same way.

« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2017, 05:33:43 PM »
However, as someone stated earlier, the instructions does not mention anything about how to remove and reattach the screen. A word of warning: It’s easy to remove, but be careful when putting it back on the new board! I accidentally cracked the corner of the display when pushing down to attach the display...

I just installed my replacement right panel and it already had the screen attached, so there was no need to remove the screen.  Maybe DSI realized people could damage the screens and it was just easier to ship the board with it already in place?

magikroom

• www.geosynths.com
    • GEOSynths
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2017, 09:39:47 PM »
Sadly had to send mine back to the Store and get a refund as they didn't have any more in.  Was the jumpy encoders which I got confirmed with DSI, will wait until new ones arrive in the UK, higher serial number and get one again...Had a lot of fun making the Patches for it, there's definitely a lot more it can do.  Was going to go for a Prophet 12 to make Patches on, but I think I might leave that one...
GEOSynths - Fresh, new sounds for DSI Prophet REV2 (Vol 1 & 2) - Prophet 12 - Sequential Prophet 6 - DSI OB6 (Volume 1 & 2)  Novation PEAK - Behringer DeepMind 12 (Vol 1 & 2) - Korg Prologue - Korg KingKorg - Nord Lead A1 - Roland System 8 & Roland Cloud.

« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2017, 07:59:21 AM »
I've been in contact with DSI-support and sent them this video (see link at bottom).

They said these things can happen when turning the encoders slowly and asked me to do a new video when I twist them faster but I'm really having problems showing the problems when I twist encoders fast..

I'm having problem with a couple of the encoders (only if the right side, none of the left side) like Program, Effect select and a couple more and only the encoders that are able to rotate fully.

I haven't been able to the make a video of how it acts when I twist faster because well, it's hard observe the "jumpyness".

I'm just wondering if someone else could post a video of their problem so I can see your videos and compare if I have the same problem.

Maybe I should just live with this? It has started to annoy me a little bit more than in the beginning and I really thought the knobs would get better as I used then and maybe some update (never thought it was a software problem though since the knobs feel a little bit off at some positions).

So could someone please post the video you've recorded for the support so I can have a look and see if it's the same problem and maybe understand how I better can show support this problem.

And also maybe someone can take a look at my video and see if you feel it's not something that I shouldn't bother support with?

Noticed I couldn't upload a video to this post on forum so used Vimeo, please have a look at the video here:
https://vimeo.com/227620263

(Video contains this "jumpy" behavior 3 times on the Program-names; YammyTribute, Drank and Chastain Halls)
Thanks in advanced.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 08:01:29 AM by Paratriplel »

« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2017, 09:09:10 PM »
sorry if you posted this stuff already...

can you post up your serial number?
what shop you purchased?
your location?
8 voice? 16 voice?

if the synth "warms up" after some time being turned on, does it still happen?

i just turned on the rev 2 16v from cold and went direct to the patches in your video. i didn't have any glitches as what you noted. encoder is solid and of good build.

i will admit ive had this rev 2 for a couple weeks now so its still a virgin (serial # 587)

ordered from sweetwater. im based in los angeles.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 09:15:23 PM by Morgenspaziergang »

« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2017, 12:35:41 AM »
sorry if you posted this stuff already...

can you post up your serial number?
what shop you purchased?
your location?
8 voice? 16 voice?

if the synth "warms up" after some time being turned on, does it still happen?

i just turned on the rev 2 16v from cold and went direct to the patches in your video. i didn't have any glitches as what you noted. encoder is solid and of good build.

i will admit ive had this rev 2 for a couple weeks now so its still a virgin (serial # 587)

ordered from sweetwater. im based in los angeles.

Thanks for your reply.

I will check further today if there's any change depending of it's been on for a while or not but I'm pretty sure it won't I feel like the knobs/encoders are of different.. I mean BPM, Divide, Modulation Select, Modulation Amount, LFO Destination Sequencer Track is really top notch quality, the rest of the knobs like, Parameter, Program, Value, Bank, Effect Select and Aux Destination are the ones affected by this, and they feel different when I turn them.

The sound of turning say BPM compared to Program I feel it's much more clear that one step is one step and BPM also has a little higher pitch sound when turning whilst the Knobs on the right side is less distinct.

can you post up your serial number? 197
what shop you purchased? Deluxe Music in Stockholm, Sweden
your location? Stockholm, Sweden, I guess it would cost DSI a bit more to send me a replacement board since I'm outside the states :-/
8 voice? 16 voice? 8 voice

I also recorded a video of the encoders sounds, the ones with problems doesn't have the same pitch of click as the ones that works fine.
https://vimeo.com/227706987

Also I see you said you tried the patches I had, it's not related to specific patches it seems more like it's affecting different patches at different times.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 01:51:42 AM by Paratriplel »

« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2017, 05:24:33 AM »
Appreciate the response.

Just trying to help move things along. :)

When i mean is if the unit has been on for some time,would that affect the "mood" of the encoders--sometimes things when warmed up, work a bit better--this may be silly to think but that's what i meant. I didn't mean to suggest the "feel" of the physical knob would feel different. :)

Ive seen complaints form cats with early run synths on this forum describe the issue you are describing, and a board swap was helpful.

I would think a board would be cheaper to ship than the keyboard.. :)

Perhaps you should contact your local shop and they can be the liaison betwixt you and DSI to get this resolved since you are out of the county. I presume the unit is under warranty of course and you may still be in your shops grace/return period.

I know what you mean by the quality of the knobs. Again this unit is a couple of weeks old and the encoders are tight and dont wiggle when fiddling with them.

The pots are very solid and more so than the encoders , but that could be just be the nature of the encoders. There's a uniform (good/solid) feel to the encoders across the synth.

I also went to some other patches--fast rotating the encoders and stepping slower through the programs in factory and user sections and did not see any encoder shenanigans.. :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 05:26:30 AM by Morgenspaziergang »

« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2017, 06:57:34 AM »
Thanks.

I'll see what DSI-support can do to help me otherwise I'll get in contact with the store.
Got in beginning of June so 30 days have psst which is standard in Sweden though I would not be happy if I had to return it though I guess I'd be more frustrated after a year when I still have the same problem..

Tried it out today after using it for 2-3 hours and to be honest the problem got even worse!

Anyway just a quick question. When you've tried it out have you tried moving the encoders really slow? Still no problem? Support said it could be a reason why encoders are a bit funky..