Jumpy Behavior on Two Encoders

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Jumpy Behavior on Two Encoders
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2017, 03:03:43 PM »
Yes, that's the only true solution.  The deoxit was only a quick patch.

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2017, 07:41:58 AM »
Unfortunately no magic remedy. It's a replacement panel board. This is a great option, that way I get to keep my synth. I was also offered the option of a replacement.
I'm very happy with this tbh.
Ohh so they just send you a new pannel and you ship yours once you received the new one? If that's the case, that's great!

dslsynth

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2017, 07:44:16 AM »
Ohh so they just send you a new pannel and you ship yours once you received the new one? If that's the case, that's great!

To the best of my knowledge its a standard hardware maintenance procedure with DSI. Their hardware support are working very very well.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2017, 01:27:29 PM »
I'm having similar issues with high resistance feeling detent buttons, and jumpy encoders. I've contacted support, hopefully there is a solution to this! It really distracts from the overall high quality of the instrument when half the things you feel have a horrible feeling to them.

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2017, 11:56:52 PM »
maybe these little idiosyncrasies are whats holding up more units from being shipped and fulfilling preorders? ive had a preorder for a couple months at this point... (sweetwater)

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2017, 06:01:16 AM »
The alternative would be horizontally-socketed encoders, though it is likely that the assembly costs would increase. The encoders themselves would need to be physically clamped in place, and it's ultimately a stop-gap solution to cheaply-made encoders (the bane of nearly every electronics manufacturer).
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 06:05:47 AM by DavidDever »
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2017, 02:26:21 PM »
FYI:  OP here...  I contacted support and sent them a short video of the encoder issue I was having.  They shipped out a new replacement left board the same day.  Got it yesterday and followed the instructions to open up my Rev2 and replace the board.   Twenty minutes later, got it back together with the new board installed.   It works perfectly now!!! 

If you run into an issue with endless encoders skipping occasionally, contact support and they'll get you fixed up.

- Jason
PEK/P12/REV2

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

DiScO

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2017, 12:03:45 PM »
Just got my 16 voice today, some encoders are very poor. Better with use but can't quite fathom how they shipped it like this! Very happy overall sounds beautiful, will contact support.

MDMA

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2017, 11:12:40 AM »
Received my replacement boards from DSI. Have replaced them and now all dials are operating as they should.

It took these replacements to make me realise how bad the other dials were. The new ones are very smooth and accurate.

This was top service by DSI to get these to me so quickly and easily, though have to agree that I can't understand how this board ever left the factory being in such a poor condition. Though it is sorted now and would recommend anyone with similar issues to contact support, great service.
DSI Rev2, Moog sub 37, Roland JDXA, DSI Pro 2, Novation Ultranova, Access Virus TI, Roland Juno 106, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg KingKorg

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2017, 11:27:43 AM »
That's a reasonable question and concern.  Of course, DSI staff doesn't personally assemble the instruments.  They're produced at a plant in San Francisco.

MDMA

« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2017, 11:59:44 AM »
I realise that, I wouldn't expect Dave to be sat there personally inspecting each synth before being boxed up, like some kind of synth santa. However I would of expected a better overall quality control.

I don't want to seem like I'm attacking DSI, because I'm not, the level of response and service I received the moment I sent in my query was exeptional and has to be the best customer service I have ever received. If only this level of care had been implemented in the final packaging of my unit, then none of this would of been required.

I hear that some are still awaiting their pre orders, I can only speculate that this is because this level of care has been stepped up.

Anyway on a more selfish note, mine has been sorted now and I can get down to actually making music on this beautiful synth.
DSI Rev2, Moog sub 37, Roland JDXA, DSI Pro 2, Novation Ultranova, Access Virus TI, Roland Juno 106, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg KingKorg

aeonn

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2017, 12:39:35 PM »
It's reassuring to read that replacing the boards solves the problem. I was going to ask for a swap but if the boards replacement is easy and painless to perform, then I might as well choose that method. Thanks for giving updates about the support.

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2017, 02:16:33 PM »
Hi! First-time poster and first time DSI synth owner here.

I am having the issue described as well. It affects the BPM knob on my Rev2. I have the 16-Voice.

I wasn't sure if it was something that could be fixed with a firmware update but these posts lead me to believe I am having the same hardware issue. Props to the OP for describing it succinctly.

I was thinking of doing an exchange through the purchaser as well, but I am paranoid if I'll just wind up with another unit from the same batch with the same issue. I went through Musician's Friend.

What technical knowledge is required to do a panel board replacement? If it's anything beyond unplugging something and plugging it back in, I would need assistance. :p
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 02:18:13 PM by EntropyAtrophy »

« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2017, 03:11:00 PM »
The fix was quick and easy... I did mine in under 20mins.   Just requires a Philips Head Screwdriver...  You remove the potentiometer caps, unscrew about 16 screws from the sides and back, then the top panel can be lifted.  Then unplug a few ribbon cables, unscrew the board you're replacing, place the new one in, and then reverse the steps to put it all back together.   (They have a PDF they'll send you with detailed instructions and photos) --   This was the preferred method for me (and probably others), as don't have any downtime with synth.   Works like a champ now! 

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2017, 04:19:33 PM »
That is excellent news to hear. It's it a simple screwdriver dis-assembly/re-assembly, I can do that.
If there was soldering involved I'd be exchanging. I'm not that handy. ;D

MDMA

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2017, 10:55:03 PM »
I think the only thing the instructions fail to mention is how to remove the screen. This is very simple and just requires you to pull up gently and very straight, then align the pins and push down. All very simple stuff and with care, should take about 20 minutes.

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2017, 05:39:17 AM »
Would be cool if you guys would post your range of serial numbers. This may see if it was isolated to a certain batch of boards or if its on a larger scale.

I'm still waiting for a preorder i made months ago from sweetwater. I see American musical got a batch in Friday so I'm hopeful sweetwater will get more in this week which will include the preorder i have.

Appreciate the updates on this. Do DSI ask for the faulty boards back? I assume so.

And i guess you cats are located in various parts of the world?

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2017, 08:18:06 AM »
Looks like I'm possibly a winner with this too.  I've reached out to DSI support to see about a fix.  All in all, this is still the best synth I've ever had the pleasure to lay hands on.  Hopefully they can get this resolved quickly for everyone.

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2017, 06:55:26 PM »
Would all users whom are experiencing issues with their encoders please update to the 1.0.6.5 OS?

It can be found here:  http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,1531.0.html

Thanks1
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2017, 10:54:41 PM »
It seems the new firmware solved the encoder problem for me. Great work DSI!
IMac Mid 2013, Cubase 9Pro, Prophet Rev 2 8voice