Jumpy Behavior on Two Encoders

Jumpy Behavior on Two Encoders
« on: June 21, 2017, 04:02:52 PM »
Firstly, five days in, I love this synth! - sounds great, really awesome board!!   Great job DSI!

I have noticed some jumpy behavior on a couple of the endless encoders though.  As a PEK user, I know there's been a history of issues with some encoders on previous synths... however,  this doesn't strike me as the same as the hardware issues that the early PEKs had... feels like this might be something that can be cleaned up in firmware?

Specifically, I'm having issues with two of the encoders:
1. The LFO Destination encoder:  this one has the most noticeable issues for me... When setting up LFO destinations, I'm finding that the behavior is very jumpy... it often starts out smooth (one click, one step), but when searching through the LFO destinations, I'm finding the encoder will stop responding, often for many "clicks"... and then will sometimes jump to a new step/value, or even jump multiple steps, a couple seconds after stopping turning the encoder.   

2. The Modulation Source encoder: this one is pretty smooth overall, but have noticed a few times when I swing through the values, then try to go back a couple clicks, it sometimes clicks without skipping to next value. 

All of the other encoders work great... very smooth and one click = one step change. 

Jason
PEK / P12 / REV2

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

Re: Jumpy Behavior on Two Encoders
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 01:16:27 AM »
When I demoed a Rev2 last week I noticed similar behaviour on the encoders.  I spotted it when I was using the encoders to the left of the display to set up mod sources and destinations.  It was far more noticeable than on my P'08 PE at home.

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 07:52:24 AM »
My unit has the same issue. Is this something that can be fixed via SW update or is HW related?

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 09:10:37 AM »
Some further information...  I noticed a workaround that allows for dependable editing with those two encoders (LFO Dest, Mod Source)...  if you start to turn either one of those two encoders to activate their usage, then switch over and use the parameter/value encoders near the main screen to select the values you want, they cycle through correctly (one click, one step)... using the parameter/value encoders seems to be very responsive.   

While this workaround might make it seem like its a hardware issue with those specific encoders, I still suspect its something in firmware, because sometimes when using the funky encoders, after you stop turning them, the value will update sometimes a second or two later.    It seems like maybe its something to do with interrupts / how those encoders are prioritized when watching for new values.   I could be mistaken....  but if others have the same issues with those two encoders and can reproduce the behaviors I'm describing, then I bet its something that can just be fixed with a patch.

At any rate, I will use the workaround described above in the meantime.   Really loving this board!   I reproduced my favorite PEK program last night, and it sounds even more massive, and with more real time modulation options.   (PEK program #28 Popcorgan) 

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 04:58:33 PM »
This was the same issue I had with my 8 voice Rev 2. I returned it to GC Sherman Oaks and picked up a 16, no issues with the 16. Mine was most def a hardware issue, when you touched the select encoder/POT it would change the setting. By this I mean wiggling the knob in place, not turning it.

magikroom

• www.geosynths.com
    • GEOSynths
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 03:09:57 AM »
I have the 16 voice and have the jumpy encoders, mainly for the oscillator pitch...bit annoying trying to dial it in and it won't select the right note or slips when it does.
GEOSynths - Fresh, new sounds for DSI Prophet REV2 (Vol 1 & 2) - Prophet 12 - Sequential Prophet 6 - DSI OB6 (Volume 1 & 2)  Novation PEAK - Behringer DeepMind 12 (Vol 1 & 2) - Korg Prologue - Korg KingKorg - Nord Lead A1 - Roland System 8 & Roland Cloud.

MDMA

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 10:38:51 AM »
I have the same issue! Also the osc 2 tune knob doesn't lock at the zero position.
DSI Rev2, Moog sub 37, Roland JDXA, DSI Pro 2, Novation Ultranova, Access Virus TI, Roland Juno 106, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg KingKorg

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 04:31:23 AM »
My "Program" encoder knob is a bit jumpy and wasn't sure if it was supposed to be like this but I guess it's not working 100% properly then, the demo-ex I tried at the store (16-voices, I've got the 8-voice version) had the same thing. I don't feel it's enough of a problem right now that I'd like to return it or anything like that if it's a hardware problem but I'm a bit afraid it could get worse.

aeonn

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 06:58:39 AM »
I can confirm the jumpy behaviour of the LFO Destination encoder. I noticed some other encoders have an uneven course (my Value encoder). It seems like the dented feeling gets a bit gripped on a quarter of the encoder's course. I was wondering if that kind of stuff gets better over time by using it ? Maybe new encoders are sometimes a bit grippy ? As for the LFO Destination one, it is a bit annoying because it doesn't recognise immediately when it's tweaked so I have to give a speed knob tweaking to make it react, and then find back the destination I was aiming...
Maybe it's a problem with the panel scan rate, which is supposed to guaranty the responsiveness of the panel knobs when used...but could it be the case for just few encoders and not others ?

magikroom

• www.geosynths.com
    • GEOSynths
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2017, 01:43:33 AM »
So far, for me it is FX Param 1 knob, I can't dial it in to a specifi number, so have to use the Value knob.  Also, Oscillator 2 Freq knob, same thing.  Can we get a response from DSI?
GEOSynths - Fresh, new sounds for DSI Prophet REV2 (Vol 1 & 2) - Prophet 12 - Sequential Prophet 6 - DSI OB6 (Volume 1 & 2)  Novation PEAK - Behringer DeepMind 12 (Vol 1 & 2) - Korg Prologue - Korg KingKorg - Nord Lead A1 - Roland System 8 & Roland Cloud.

MDMA

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 04:37:16 AM »
I must admit that this is starting to be an issue for be, it feels as though the oscillator tune dial is actually faulty as it doesn't lock at zero like the oscillator 1 knob, it kind of jumps around. Also jumpy on the mod select dial and patch select after a little use.
Guess an email to support is required.
DSI Rev2, Moog sub 37, Roland JDXA, DSI Pro 2, Novation Ultranova, Access Virus TI, Roland Juno 106, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg KingKorg

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 08:22:04 AM »
I haven't received mine but this is really scaring me after all the encoder problems I've had with the P08 ... before ordering mine I sent an e-mail to DSI to ask if the encoder's quality would be good and they assured me that they were and that my P08 situation wouldn't happen with the REV2.

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 08:10:26 AM »
Well, would a company actually say "well thank you for asking. Actually our encoders are still jumpy and erratic as the p8. Thanks for your email"...?

Assembly line issues can occur so if this is an issue, it could be limited to a certain batch. There's usually some first run issues with gear, but in this case maybe its limited/rare.

Im hopeful the 16 voice i will get would not have this issue, however i will follow up if it does. Still waiting for my preorder from sweetwater.

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2017, 09:19:38 AM »
For what it's worth, the encoders on my P'08 PE are pretty accurate and reliable. The Rev2 I tried out in a store here had at least one encoder that was noticeably more jumpy than any on my P'08.  I'm hoping it's something dsi can resolve.

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 03:03:03 PM »
We haven't had jumpy encoders for a long, long time. If you're experiencing issues with your specific instrument, please contact our dedicated support channel to get it sorted out: support (at) davesmithinstruments.com
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

MDMA

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2017, 10:57:44 PM »
Anyone having this issue, I would recommend contacting support. Mark has been VERY helpful and has been really proactive in getting my issue sorted. Great service so far.

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2017, 07:33:05 AM »
Anyone having this issue, I would recommend contacting support. Mark has been VERY helpful and has been really proactive in getting my issue sorted. Great service so far.

DSI has great customer service. May I ask if you need to send back your synth?

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2017, 07:48:01 AM »

DSI has great customer service. May I ask if you need to send back your synth?

That's what I'm wondering about as well. I can live with the jumpy behaviour right now but of course it can be a bit irritating in the future, hoping for a solution like, open it up, tighten a screw.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2017, 09:15:33 AM »
This was a major problem with the Prophet '08 early on.  The treatment then was to apply a small amount of deoxit to each of the parameter housings.  It took about 45 minutes and the instrument was then much better, but often the problem gradually returned.

MDMA

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2017, 02:48:47 PM »
Unfortunately no magic remedy. It's a replacement panel board. This is a great option, that way I get to keep my synth. I was also offered the option of a replacement.
I'm very happy with this tbh.