Jumpy Behavior on Two Encoders

Re: Jumpy Behavior on Two Encoders
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2017, 06:36:56 AM »
Wassup bro.

Yes i did it slow and fast. I tried to mimick what you were doing on the video --going slow and doing a brisk turn with the parameter and value-- and the results were consistent. Again the synth is a bit over 2 weeks old and i dont have the time that you have. Will have to see as time goes on.

To contrast, i have an ob6 launch day march 2016 and i have twisted those kobs and they have been consistent, even today. I had not heard about the jump encoder thing until i saw the posts here on the rev 2 section.

I don't have any other prophet experience so i cant comment on any of that.

« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2017, 09:54:00 AM »
I've been offered a solution from the kind and fast replying support.

To get a replacement board and instructions and send mine back after its been replaced.
So I hope it will all be sorted out! I have to pay a deposit of 200$ until they receive the old one which is fine just trying to test mine out a little bit extra before getting back to them about it but I'm certain some of the knobs are not acting the way they should do I'm certain this is the way to go.

A bit nervous about doing the installation myself but I hope it will be fine if I'm just careful!

Just figured I should give an update about this!

« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2017, 11:10:59 AM »
It helps for other people who may surf on in who may be having similar issues. Good to hear you have a solution

DiScO

« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2017, 11:46:32 AM »
I've recently replaced the boards thanks to DSI support and can confirm it's all cool now!

Very easy job to be fair, just take your time and make sure you have a screwdriver that fits the screw heads perfectly to avoid burring them. I would try and avoid having to use a lever (flat head driver) to remove the pot caps, even with tape on. A second visit after a gentle tug will usually suffice and if you find a particularly stubborn one leave it, remove some more and go back to it later!

Be especially careful removing the screws from the wooden side panels as I find this wood to be extremely soft compared to the P6 for example, one slip and it won't be very forgiving. I'd recommend doing it on a large soft bed!

When removing the 8 screws from the rear of the synth, be aware the panel will drop slightly so make sure you are supporting it somehow to avoid potential scratches. The whole panel will separate from the synth allowing you to set it aside the main electronics to focus solely on replacing the boards. The cables are extremely easy to remove and are fool proof, like old HDD cables that clip in / out nice and solid with a locking mechanism. I haven't seen these quality ribbon connectors probably since servicing my 90s Akai sampler! A very solid connection that will travel well. Most ribbon connectors I see these days have been glued which is a shocking practice in my humble opinion! 

Don't forget to remove the protective cover from the new oled display (if cover is present that is, it has a little red tab on it) and make sure you drop the board(s) in gently, lifting the whole panel observing top and bottom simultaneously to allow the pots and buttons to drop nicely through the cut outs on the panel before screwing it back down. Upon opening the replacement boards a number of buttons had fallen off but it's pretty self explanatory where they need to go.

As always follow the DSI instructions, these were just a few things I found that helped for a painless procedure! Hope it's of some use to others.

Cheers. 

« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2017, 06:55:51 AM »

I would try and avoid having to use a lever (flat head driver) to remove the pot caps, even with tape on. A second visit after a gentle tug will usually suffice and if you find a particularly stubborn one leave it, remove some more and go back to it later!

I'm quite surprised DSI would recommend using a screwdriver to remove pot caps.  The best thing is a keycap puller like this one from Amazon.  $6 and it works perfectly.  https://www.amazon.com/Max-Keyboard-Steel-Wire-Puller/dp/B00TAUJDJK

MDMA

« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2017, 11:00:12 AM »
Or your fingers! I had no trouble, I used the same method as described above.
DSI Rev2, Moog sub 37, Roland JDXA, DSI Pro 2, Novation Ultranova, Access Virus TI, Roland Juno 106, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg KingKorg

aeonn

« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2017, 06:43:06 AM »
I'm quite surprised DSI would recommend using a screwdriver to remove pot caps.  The best thing is a keycap puller like this one from Amazon.  $6 and it works perfectly.  https://www.amazon.com/Max-Keyboard-Steel-Wire-Puller/dp/B00TAUJDJK

Actually it was useful on mine because some knobs were a bit tough to lift only by hands, so the screwdriver really helps to give the sufficient lever and then carrying on lifting it with fingers. As long as you use one or two layers of electric tape on the screwdriver's head, it won't scratch the surface on the synth. It's not like you need an incredible amount of force to lift the knobs.

As it's been said, the step that requires most of the attention is when the new board is placed down on the panel. If it doesn't fit perfectly at first DON'T FORCE IT. Check if any LED or button is slightly offset a panel hole and adjust them gently.

Also, what I found useful it that, once you have put all the knobs caps, wiggle each on the newly replaced knobs to "ease" the mechanism. It makes them work just fine, and less grippy.

« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2017, 04:59:14 AM »
Actually it was useful on mine because some knobs were a bit tough to lift only by hands, so the screwdriver really helps to give the sufficient lever and then carrying on lifting it with fingers.

This is exactly why a keycap puller is better.
Even the toughest of knobs that can't be taken off with your hands lift straight off with little effort.
Believe me.  Once you try one you'll never go back to any other method.  It simply works the best.

« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2017, 09:22:18 AM »
Many knobs are easy to pull off by hand, the screwdriver is recommended for stubborn knob caps as necessary.

We recommend using a screwdriver wrapped in tape to protect your top panel. A cap-puller is better, yes. But everyone already owns a screwdriver, so we make that recommendation to avoid someone having to buy a tool, and also to allow someone to continue the repair without waiting for said tool to arrive.

SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2017, 08:02:14 PM »
Hey guys ... I received my replacement board but there's no instructions. Are they supposed to be in the box or can we access it online? Thanks!

Murphy

• Keyboard, French Horn
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2017, 11:45:17 AM »
Hey guys ... I received my replacement board but there's no instructions. Are they supposed to be in the box or can we access it online? Thanks!

I got my instructions in an email from DSI before shipment, although after I read this whole thread, from top to bottom, I really didn't need the instructions. I was able to pull the knobs off by hand, for the most part, but was glad I had a key cap puller. Someone recommended a specific keycap puller (link to Amazon) earlier in this thread and that's what I used. I didn't have any issues whatsoever, and it's a great thing to know how DSI supports the end user in the field. It really separates them from other companies, but I think the Prophet customer base must be more technical than a lot of other manufacturers. I don't know really know that, but based on this forum, that appears to be the case. I would take a look at my inbox and see if you received an email when they decided to send you the board, or when they actually shipped the board. Otherwise, I'm positive they'll send you another email with instructions.

« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2017, 12:44:43 PM »

I got my instructions in an email from DSI before shipment, although after I read this whole thread, from top to bottom, I really didn't need the instructions. I was able to pull the knobs off by hand, for the most part, but was glad I had a key cap puller. Someone recommended a specific keycap puller (link to Amazon) earlier in this thread and that's what I used. I didn't have any issues whatsoever, and it's a great thing to know how DSI supports the end user in the field. It really separates them from other companies, but I think the Prophet customer base must be more technical than a lot of other manufacturers. I don't know really know that, but based on this forum, that appears to be the case. I would take a look at my inbox and see if you received an email when they decided to send you the board, or when they actually shipped the board. Otherwise, I'm positive they'll send you another email with instructions.

Thanks for the information. Is there any ways you could send me that document or link? I would like to do it this weekend and they wont give it to me until Monday :/ Thanks!!

« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2017, 01:34:46 PM »
If nobody can send me the instructions, can someone tell me what screws and cables I have to remove?
monday is labor day so I won't get a response from DSI soon ... Thanks!

MDMA

« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2017, 11:56:11 PM »
I have sent you an email with the instructions I received from DSI.

DSI Rev2, Moog sub 37, Roland JDXA, DSI Pro 2, Novation Ultranova, Access Virus TI, Roland Juno 106, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg KingKorg

« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2017, 11:21:31 AM »
I have sent you an email with the instructions I received from DSI.
Thanks again MDMA the replacement went smoothly :)

« Reply #75 on: October 11, 2017, 01:14:33 AM »
Hey!

I've received my replacement board from DSI last Friday but haven't had time to do the replacement but I'm wondering this:
Is there anyone who made a video of their replacement?

I'm mostly concerned with the removal of the panel etc and I'm not sure how to remove the encoders/knobs!

I tried pulling a while ago to see if removing them and putting them back but they sat like stone.. Haven't tried the trick with the screwdriver because I have no silver tape and are really careful with my Rev 2..

Just checking here before I do anything..

Rico

« Reply #76 on: October 11, 2017, 03:26:14 AM »
Hey!

I've received my replacement board from DSI last Friday but haven't had time to do the replacement but I'm wondering this:

I'm mostly concerned with the removal of the panel etc and I'm not sure how to remove the encoders/knobs!

I tried pulling a while ago to see if removing them and putting them back but they sat like stone.. Haven't tried the trick with the screwdriver because I have no silver tape and are really careful with my Rev 2..

I did a few months ago. Super easy! Removed all the encoders/pots with a teaspoon - put the tip of the spoon under the encoder and push it down. The encoder will raise a bit and can then easily be removed. Since the spoon is rounded on the underside I think there is very little risk of causing damage or scratches.

« Reply #77 on: October 11, 2017, 10:25:10 AM »
Hey!

I did a few months ago. Super easy! Removed all the encoders/pots with a teaspoon - put the tip of the spoon under the encoder and push it down. The encoder will raise a bit and can then easily be removed. Since the spoon is rounded on the underside I think there is very little risk of causing damage or scratches.

Thanks for the tkös' I'll try that! :-) hopefully this weekend.

« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2017, 11:09:53 AM »
Hi Paratriplel-

The panel board removal is a pretty straightforward process. It looks like we sent you a link to detailed Panel Board Removal instructions in our reply to your first support ticket on August 7th. Refer to the instructions and you shouldn't have any trouble with the swap. Please contact us directly through support should you need any further assistance.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2017, 04:57:32 AM »
Jumpy encoders confirmed...