Roland + Studio Electronics = SE-02

eXode

Roland + Studio Electronics = SE-02
« on: June 20, 2017, 01:07:15 AM »
Roland has presented the SE-02, a collaboration with Studio Electronics for their Boutique designer series.

"A collaborative effort from Roland and Studio Electronics, the SE-02 is the debut product of the new Roland Boutique Designer Series. The SE-02 uses authentic discrete analog circuitry to create a synthesizer with a distinctly vintage sound and vast programming options. With an array of high-quality knobs and switches and a uniquely creative onboard sequencer, the SE-02 delivers massive tone and texture with expressive hands-on control."

Roland SE-02 Analog Monosynth Module Key Features:

• 3 voltage-controlled oscillators
• Voltage-controlled 24dB lowpass filter
• Dual-gainstage amplifier
• Fully featured 16-step sequencer
• Monophonic
• 384 Preset Patches (128 x 3 banks)
• User memory: 128 (Patch), 128 (Pattern), 16 (Song)
• External input for routing outside sources through the SE-02's filter section
• Standard MIDI and USB-MIDI, plus USB-Audio for A/D signal processing
• MIDI sync available for LFO, delay, and sequencer timing
• CV inputs for pitch and filter frequency
• Gate input for connecting hardware sequencer
• Trigger In and Out

$499.99 (Sweetwater)

Product Page

LoboLives

Re: Roland + Studio Electronics = SE-02
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 04:25:02 AM »
Meh.

eXode

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 04:44:24 AM »
Meh.

If you take the time to actually login and comment, why don't you take the time to write something meainful?

Well unless you want this to become another meh forum of course, then please carry on!

Meh, indeed. :)

chysn

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 04:50:34 AM »
This is the sort of thing that will absolutely crush Behringer's Model D clone.

I don't know who this "Roland" is, but if Studio Electronics is involved, it'll be worth a closer look.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 04:53:32 AM »
As far as you can see from the front panel photo, you can cross-modulate from VCO3 to VCO2 and then to VCF Cutoff, I'd like to try that out myself to hear how does it really sound like.
prophet 12, PRO2, mono evolver KB, Hikari Duo, Cobalt5S, Hydrasynth Explorer, microFreak, 0-Coast, 0-CTRL, ensoniq VFX-SD, Kurzweil PC361, Roland V-Synth, SH-4d, JD-XA, TB-3, A-50, KORG 800DV, wavestate, modwave, kaossilator 2, volca nubass/modular, SQ-1, iOS/Mac

eXode

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 04:57:07 AM »

LoboLives

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 06:14:30 AM »
Meh.

If you take the time to actually login and comment, why don't you take the time to write something meainful?

Well unless you want this to become another meh forum of course, then please carry on!

Meh, indeed. :)

LOL I know I know.

It's a step in the right direction but I think....do we really need another mono synth right now? I get that it's Roland doing analog and that's nice ...but...unless they plan on doing a polysynth with Studio Electronics....I don't see the hype at all.

eXode

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 06:25:55 AM »
LOL I know I know.

It's a step in the right direction but I think....do we really need another mono synth right now? I get that it's Roland doing analog and that's nice ...but...unless they plan on doing a polysynth with Studio Electronics....I don't see the hype at all.

You could always buy 6 of these and chain them, if I understood correctly! ;)

Jokes aside, I'd sure love some more poly options. Studio Electronics said they were working on a custom DCO that they wanted to put in a poly. Not sure if that is still planned.

LoboLives

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 06:38:58 AM »
LOL I know I know.

You could always buy 6 of these and chain them, if I understood correctly! ;)

Jokes aside, I'd sure love some more poly options. Studio Electronics said they were working on a custom DCO that they wanted to put in a poly. Not sure if that is still planned.

Yeah I know you can chain them but honestly that falls into the Moog category...just give us a damn poly synth. We got companies coming out with Poly Synths for $1999 and less....come on....especially with companies like Korg and Roland there's really no reason not to bring out an analog polysynth. Smaller companies, I understand but Roland....come on. They had an analog section in the JDXa so expand on it. ugh so frustrating.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 07:49:04 AM »
Nice... but one criticism from me here:

Why the hell only 128 user presets, and then more than 300 ROM presets that anyone will want gone with in a few years!? ... Flash RAM is not that expensive anymore, and the standard these days are 512-1024 presets... other than that, a very tempting device for sure :)
If you need me, follow the shadows...

dslsynth

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 08:37:04 AM »
To me it looks tasty. Studio Electronics have a good sounding reputation so this could be a very interesting machine. Wonder if USB/MIDI is class compliant? Wonder if MIDI/sysex will be fully specified? Agree with Razmo on user preset count.

Looking forward it could be awesome with integration between analog and digital engines such as tuned feedback and digital oscillators to be used with an analog engine of this quality. Or who knows maybe other types of unique Roland DSP to be used inside the analog engine. Not just as effects but as part of the synthesizer's sound engine.

Two videos from Roland:
https://youtu.be/zYLloIcu7us
https://youtu.be/oCGsMjx1inM
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 03:19:16 AM »
I'm very happy that Roland has released something that may let them forget the TB303.
Yeah, it's another analogue monosynth in a market that has become saturated in them and it's a "reimagining" of an old synth, but it does sound good.  I told myself I'm not buying any more monos, but I might make this the last one, heheh.  Time will tell if it does become as classic as the 303, but it's nice for Roland to do something a bit more original at that price point than another miniature version of a 1980's synth.  I was worried they were going to end up doing a frig magnet version of a 303 next.

This is the sort of thing that will absolutely crush Behringer's Model D clone.

I don't know who this "Roland" is, but if Studio Electronics is involved, it'll be worth a closer look.

LOL!

LoboLives

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 04:24:37 AM »
According to Sonic State this is the first in a series of Boutique Collaborations....could that mean....DSI and Roland doing an analog poly next year?

Shaw

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2017, 12:45:06 PM »
According to Sonic State this is the first in a series of Boutique Collaborations....could that mean....DSI and Roland doing an analog poly next year?
Why?  DSI already does great analogue polys without the help of this "Roland" fella... I mean I'm just not sure what DSI needs from Roland... As far as I can tell, not a damned thing.

.... and, meh.  :)
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2017, 02:21:17 PM »
Why?  DSI already does great analogue polys without the help of this "Roland" fella... I mean I'm just not sure what DSI needs from Roland... As far as I can tell, not a damned thing.

No DSI doesn't need Roland at all. But Roland seems to be interested in partnering with companies (Maleko, Studio Electronics) so if people want a new analog Jupiter...perhaps a multitimbral ten voice? Jupiter 10. It might offer something a bit different than what the current Prophets do.

Shaw

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2017, 02:32:15 PM »

No DSI doesn't need Roland at all. But Roland seems to be interested in partnering with companies (Maleko, Studio Electronics) so if people want a new analog Jupiter...perhaps a multitimbral ten voice? Jupiter 10. It might offer something a bit different than what the current Prophets do.
Why would Roland need DSI to make a new poly?  Didn't they spend years making them back in the day?  The JD-XA is a gorgeous sounding synth with a horrible (IMO) UI.....
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 03:43:09 AM »

Why would Roland need DSI to make a new poly?  Didn't they spend years making them back in the day?  The JD-XA is a gorgeous sounding synth with a horrible (IMO) UI.....

Why would Roland need Studio Electronics or Maleko to make their stuff?

The JD-XA I think is nice but ironically I find the analog side to be a tad weak and the UI IS HORRIBLE

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2017, 04:42:21 AM »

Why would Roland need Studio Electronics or Maleko to make their stuff?

The JD-XA I think is nice but ironically I find the analog side to be a tad weak and the UI IS HORRIBLE

The System-500 (Malekko) and Driftbox (Reon) devices are fairly low-volume items and can be more efficiently manufactured by a smaller company; the SE-02, on the other hand, is manufactured by Roland (who also did the PCB layout, according to the video).

I wouldn't make any assumptions about design capabilities nearly four decades removed from the original design teams, by the way; the manufacturing constraints and components available would certainly shape the outcome far more radically than the presence (or otherwise) of staff (and their expertise) that worked on older designs, as in the case of the JD-XA–and DSI in general.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2017, 06:06:58 AM »
People here are talking about recreation of analog polys? .. in Boutique format!? ... I do not believe this will happen... the devices are so small already that I do not believe they would be able to put 4-8 voices inside such a casing, unless they start developing custom analog chips to get the size down... I bet the ones we'll see in the future (since more collaborations are coming) will be monophonic.

Actually I like the small format, and that they are hands on, all have the same footprint... I would have liked all the other ones had been 1-voice replicas of their "parents", but analog... the SE-02 is the only one interesting to me, but had the others been analog it would have been cool to chain them all up for some serious Berlin School sequencing.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

LoboLives

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2017, 11:09:26 AM »
People here are talking about recreation of analog polys? .. in Boutique format!? ... I do not believe this will happen... the devices are so small already that I do not believe they would be able to put 4-8 voices inside such a casing, unless they start developing custom analog chips to get the size down... I bet the ones we'll see in the future (since more collaborations are coming) will be monophonic.

Actually I like the small format, and that they are hands on, all have the same footprint... I would have liked all the other ones had been 1-voice replicas of their "parents", but analog... the SE-02 is the only one interesting to me, but had the others been analog it would have been cool to chain them all up for some serious Berlin School sequencing.

No full sized analog poly synths. If the rest of the ones created are monophonic then what a waste that will be. The market doesn't need it.