Rev2 Keeps transmitting data over MIDI/USB Out

kmm08

Rev2 Keeps transmitting data over MIDI/USB Out
« on: June 19, 2017, 08:29:07 PM »
I have now been testing for a few more days and have found a serious issue with MIDI transmission. When recording into MIDI tracks in Cubase, I began noticing all kind of strange activity going on over the input of the MIDI track when not playing the unit. This was sending all kind of wrong messages to Kontakt. I then ran MIDI Monitor again, and noticed all the activity with the Mod wheel when not even using the keyboard. I spoke about this with DSI tech support, and they said to try setting the parameters to minimum or maximum which does seem to stop the activity. It seems that the Mod wheel can get stuck, and keep wavering between small value changes non-stop until you manually move the wheel again.
This may also be why the screensaver was not activating as it should at times (which I mentioned in a previous post).

Keep in mind that this is now the second Rev2 unit I have tested, and both seem to have similar problems. At this point, I cannot even use the keyboard as a controller which I wanted to when needed. I cannot reproduce this issue with any other keyboards except the Rev2. I don't know if this can be corrected with some type of software update or firmware fix. The 1.0.2 update which I installed the other day did not correct anything. I also tried re-calibrating the wheels with no change. Not sure what else to do at this point, but the issue definitely is on a larger scale than specific units.

Re: Rev2 Keeps transmitting data over MIDI/USB Out
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 10:08:25 AM »
You should be able to remedy this by performing the Wheel Calibration routine located in the Global menu. It will set new minimum and maximum limits for the mod wheel pot.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

kmm08

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 11:28:07 AM »
Please read the post before responding. I already re-calibrated the wheels. It did not correct the issue.

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 11:49:05 AM »
I did read the post. I should have been more clear in saying "please try re-calibrating the wheels", apologies for that. I'm not saying this about you specifically, but reasonably often when helping customers with wheel calibration they don't perform the operation correctly the first time so it helps to do it again. 

Sounds like you're still in contact with us via tech support so we'll get to the bottom of it. It should be a relatively easy fix, thank you for your patience.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 07:41:28 PM »
I have now been testing for a few more days and have found a serious issue with MIDI transmission. When recording into MIDI tracks in Cubase, I began noticing all kind of strange activity going on over the input of the MIDI track when not playing the unit. This was sending all kind of wrong messages to Kontakt. I then ran MIDI Monitor again, and noticed all the activity with the Mod wheel when not even using the keyboard. I spoke about this with DSI tech support, and they said to try setting the parameters to minimum or maximum which does seem to stop the activity. It seems that the Mod wheel can get stuck, and keep wavering between small value changes non-stop until you manually move the wheel again.
This may also be why the screensaver was not activating as it should at times (which I mentioned in a previous post).

Keep in mind that this is now the second Rev2 unit I have tested, and both seem to have similar problems. At this point, I cannot even use the keyboard as a controller which I wanted to when needed. I cannot reproduce this issue with any other keyboards except the Rev2. I don't know if this can be corrected with some type of software update or firmware fix. The 1.0.2 update which I installed the other day did not correct anything. I also tried re-calibrating the wheels with no change. Not sure what else to do at this point, but the issue definitely is on a larger scale than specific units.

Not experiencing this issue at all with my 16-voice #32; been watching midi monitor in os x, totally quiet unless i touch a parameter.

works great as a midi controller; used my ipad with duet as a touch screen 2nd monitor to place over my rev2, then i used it to map all the parameters for soft synths to the rev2 by touching each parameter on the ipad and then turning the physical knob. very cool.

maybe you were just really unlucky and the batch your vendor got was wonky? Seems all i'm encountering are some early-adopter software bugs that'll get ironed out before long. Don't give up hope, i also got this with midi controller use in mind; it works amazing if you get this sorted out.

kmm08

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 07:51:12 PM »
After talking with Tech Support, it appears it may be a bug of some kind. Hopefully it can be fixed via an update. It happens at random when the mod wheel is set somewhere in the middle of its range, not at minimum or maximum values. There seems to be some type of fluctuation between midi output values. If others cannot reproduce this at all, it would definitely be helpful to know to determine whether it only effects certain units or not. By the way, the two units I tested came from San Francisco and New York.

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 12:56:27 PM »
This issue has been fixed with an OS update. Get the new OS here.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM