Issues with latest beta OS (1.1.9.8)

Issues with latest beta OS (1.1.9.8)
« on: December 17, 2015, 03:36:59 AM »
I've been doing some tests with version 1.1.9.8 of the P-6 OS and think I may have found a few issues.
When using the P-6 to record MIDI tracks into my DAW (Logic), the knobs don't seem respond properly, especially if I move them very slowly. For example: when I twiddle the Cutoff knob quickly, it seems to work alright, but when I'm doing a slow sweep, it is not at all smooth but jumps between values. (I am not talking about the 127 steps in MIDI -- these jumps are way more extreme.)
This is only true while I am playing/recording, not when I am playing back a previously recorded MIDI track.

Some details about my settings:
  • I am using DIN MIDI, not USB
  • local ctrl is OFF
  • controllers are sent and received as NRPN, not CC

At first I thought that my MIDI interface (AMT8) might be dropping some data, but trying an alternative interface didn't change anything. Then I thought that Logic somehow doesn't handle NRPNs correctly, but I've also tried it with a Moog SUB 37 which can also be configured to send its controllers via NRPN and that worked absolutely flawlessly.

I then changed the global settings on the P-6 so that controllers are transmitted as CCs instead of NRPNs and that improved things insofar as the cutoff knob now responded smoothly again, but other controls like e.g. resonance didn't work at all.

So I gave up and reverted back to OS version 1.1.0. That completely resolved these issues which leads me to believe that they are probably bugs in the latest beta release and need to be looked into.

PS: I am new to this forum, so I'm not sure if this is the proper way to report bugs like this. If there's a better/preferred way, please let me know.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 03:49:09 AM by Christopher »
Prophet-6 № 01397 | Prophet-10 № 0174

Re: Issues with latest beta OS (1.1.9.8)
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 04:29:05 AM »
Hi,

You should notify DSI here: http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/support/contact-support/

Cheers

Andy

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 08:26:23 AM »
Prophet-6 № 01397 | Prophet-10 № 0174

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 10:25:45 AM »
Hi,

You should notify DSI here: http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/support/contact-support/

Cheers

Andy

Ok, I'm a little confused here  :o

Isn't this forum "own and operated" by DSI??? Meaning that this is an "Official" forum...
Then one would assume that what is written here would be (eventually) read by someone from DSI staff, no?

LA

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 10:56:07 AM »
I would say the best bet is to put a support request in, this guarantees that you get talking to the right people as quickly as possible.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 11:38:52 AM »
This forum is not equivalent to DSI Support.  Obviously, the main activity here is discussion between DSI users.  DSI staffers keep in close contact and monitor the forum, but it's still not the same as contacting directly the company. 

If you want DSI to know something and send you a response immediately, then email support.  If you want suggestions from other DSI users and for DSI to know something and respond to you eventually, then post on this forum.  But don't hold your breath.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 08:57:52 AM by Sacred Synthesis »