The only Moog I will own is the Little Phatty

cbx

The only Moog I will own is the Little Phatty
« on: June 19, 2017, 03:21:57 AM »
Mine is a tribute to Robert Moog, and makes me chuckle because i don't want to be a big phatty. But I certainly didn't mean any harm, but I am not sure about where Moog is going these days now that Dr Moog is gone.

chysn

Re: The only Moog I will own is the Little Phatty
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 05:26:10 AM »
The Little Phatty is a nice balance of simplicity and capability, a bread-and-butter architecture with just enough unusual features to make it worth exploring.

People complain about the interface, with the four main programming knobs. I've always found it a breeze to work with, though. The light ring indicator around each knob is a thoughtful touch.

Probably all of today's analog synths (with patch memory) continuously scan the panel digitally, to allow the synth to save patches. The Little Phatty, on the other hand, has a unique design in which the knobs are directly connected to the analog circuitry, and values are only digitized when another parameter button in the same section is pushed, or the patch is saved. This is a pretty expensive way to control parameters, and it's one of the reasons the Little Phatty has only four parameter knobs. But when you're turning one of those knobs, you're directly controlling the hardware.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

LoboLives

Re: The only Moog I will own is the Little Phatty
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 04:28:48 AM »
Never tried a Little Phatty but I love my Sub 37. I wish Moog would come out with something fresh though. They seem to have been really stagnating after the Mother 32.