The Mopho's natural key is F

cbx

The Mopho's natural key is F
« on: June 17, 2017, 04:36:51 PM »
It is a strange choice that the first note on the keyboard is F. This makes playing the Mopho somewhat different than other keyboards, because it is naturally plays in F Mixolydian. F is for Funk.

cbx

Re: The Mopho's natural key is F
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 04:44:02 PM »
Well I make a miscalculations. If you play all white keys from root F, you are in F Lydian. But I like F Mixolydian. Well, I am not sure which mode it is off hand, but I like playing G Minor pentatonic with the root in F.

Remember kids. F is for Funk.

cbx

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 05:10:39 PM »
For me, I prefer F is for Fusion. I just don't have enough swing to make it Funky. So I have to practice with my Boss DR-880.

cbx

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 05:35:50 PM »
Now I wonder, they designed it to start in F. This is strange, because most people will be accustomed to C. So I want us all to think in F. The first thing you must do when playing the Mopho (the gold one, that looks like a Hornet) is to think in the key of F.

Let's say you want to jam to a track that is play E7 and D7. Well, you shift the transpose of the oscillators to F#, and then play F Mixolydian. This is why the Mopho is F. Think Fusion. Funk, that is funny, but I don't have the gift to make it swing like that.

cbx

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 06:24:06 PM »
So I hope this gets you thinking of how to use this instrument in all sorts of new and unexplored territory. I am not strong at musical theory so, when you meet a machine which can fold over by so many transposes and interval shift. What is the key when you are playing G Major in the root of F with the oscillators tuned to B? I don't know, but it will allow you play over common guitar chords in the key of E, with a chord progression of E-A-B.

See?

cbx

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 06:39:16 PM »
Whoops I make a mistake that is G Minor not Major. Even though B is in the chord progression, it doesn't sound right to hit B when the instrument is tuned down a step. So I find my brain melts from all this theory, and then I just find some interesting youtube videos to jam over with nothing but Soul. Like James Brown.