Voice Out Question

LoboLives

Voice Out Question
« on: June 16, 2017, 05:15:41 PM »
I wonder...I use a voice out from the Tempest sometimes to drive some CV clocks....but I've only ever done this for a clock to drive a sequencer (Carson from DSI suggested I create a transient attack and sacrifice that voice for a voice out to drive a CV sequencer (Doepfer Dark Time) ...could it not also be done for a CV input of a mono synth like an ARP Odyssey for synth lines?

idm

Re: Voice Out Question
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 02:00:44 AM »
Cv control of oscillators uses 1v/octave, audio signals don't work like that :)

The reason why a clock signal works, is because the input just listens to a peak in the signal.

RobH

Re: Voice Out Question
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2017, 04:08:24 AM »
Yeah Cv control over pitch is extremely precise and needs a proper 1v per octave voltage source to stay in tune and track properly and even then it only usually tracks well over a few octaves usually between 3 and 5 octaves before you get serious detuning.

Also sometimes audio signals of gate clocks need a good boost to the volume to work, this mostly depends on whatever is recieving the module but some audio signals from line level equipment just isn't loud enough as synth level (eurorack etc) is +9db compared to line levels.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 04:59:08 AM by RobH »