Soundcraft signature 16 . Is it still worth the price premium?

Hi all,

Looking to get a new 16 channel mixer soon and have heard good reports of the Soundcraft signature series.

Watched the multiple online videos but there is unfortunately no Signature series mixers here in West Australia to test so I am flying blind in some respect.

Is Soundcraft still worth the premium or is there better option.

I currently have a Behringer Xenyx QX1832 but some input channels are scratchy and dropping out so hence why the upgrade!

Thanks for the advice.
Tim

LoboLives

Re: Soundcraft signature 16 . Is it still worth the price premium?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 04:44:40 PM »
I'm getting a Signature 22 MTK. Really good mixers for the money and with the Lexicon effects included as well as DBX limiters..you can't go wrong with using them for synths.

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 11:38:27 PM »
I've been looking for another mixer for sometime.  The thing that deters me from most the Soundcraft range is their lack of any outboard FX returns or inserts.  Not really an issue if you aren't like me with a good deal of fx and the onboard limiters take care of what I use channel inserts for.
As crumby as Behringer life spans are, they still provide so many things the more expensive brands don't.  Simple things like solo output levels.  Every time I've looked at brand new mixers, I've always ended up considering the Behringers again due to little things like higher subgroup counts, inserts on all channels and high outboard fx return counts.
I actually bought a Fostex VM200 earlier this week.  8 + 10 in, 6 + 10 out (the + is via adat and s/pdif), inserts on 4 channels and flying faders!  Combined with the MX3242 I am currently running, I should be right for the outboard effects sends.  I've sourced a nice adat AD/DA (not an Ultragain) with an 8 core audio loom for a good price.  Now to make a stand for it....

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 05:24:41 AM »
Thanks for the replies!

I have heard the Soundcraft signature series are pretty good but am taken aback by the fact most are mono channels!

Maybe I am unaware of the mixer standard these days but I thought a mix of mono and stereo inputs was standard!

Yes the effects returns eating into channels is another thought also!

Not happy with the Behringer longevity so need to move on to something different I think even though I also keep looking at the specs chart and seeing how Behringer ticks many boxes! (input channels/stereo and mono/effects returns ect)

So the Soundcraft for home/studio use should in theory outlast the Behringers?

Again.. Thanks for the help. Going to go for the standard Signature 16! (Not sure my computer can handle the MTK version)

Tim

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 02:17:16 AM »
Thanks for the replies!

I have heard the Soundcraft signature series are pretty good but am taken aback by the fact most are mono channels!

Maybe I am unaware of the mixer standard these days but I thought a mix of mono and stereo inputs was standard!

Not happy with the Behringer longevity so need to move on to something different I think even though I also keep looking at the specs chart and seeing how Behringer ticks many boxes! (input channels/stereo and mono/effects returns ect)

Again.. Thanks for the help. Going to go for the standard Signature 16! (Not sure my computer can handle the MTK version)

You are welcome.
I work setting up conferences and exhibitions and see time and time again Soundcraft desks being used for short installations, mainly Signatures.  I know what those things get put through and I think without a doubt they will outlast a Behringer in a studio situation!  My first Bheringer desk lasted about 5yrs in a studio.  The Soundcraft desks last easy that long in constant touring mode.  That said, my current Behringer has been running since 2003, only just spluttering slightly this year.

One thing that really gets me about cheaper desks these days is the 60mm fader throws.  What's with that?  And everyone seems to be doing it, not just Behringer.  Even the larger models from the likes of Allan & Heath and Mackie are armed with the 2/3 length faders.  I know it saves money and space, but if I'm going to spend over a grand on a desk, I want 100mm faders (says the guy who just bought a desk with 60mm faders).  What can you fit in a 40mm strip anyway?  A cable tidy?
All in all I know I'm going to have to lay down the big bickies for a decent 24+ channel mixer soon.  I spend enough on the instruments, they deserve proper representation in my studio.

Interesting note: I've had a couple of Behringer desks and was a little stigmatised by it, so thought I'd swap to a different cheap desk manufacturer.  I bought a Yamaha MG (CS) desk, which was okay for about a week before I realised that the channels leak.  Sorta pushed that issue under the carpet and continued.  Then I needed to expand, so bought another Yamaha, but this time an MG (CX) 2nd hand.  I gave it the once over in the guy's studio and it sounded fine, no noisy channels, faders or pots.  I had hoped that maybe the earlier model of the same desk might not have the same spill issue, but alas it to suffered from channel leakage.  Then after about a month I just couldn't work out where all this noise was coming from in the left channel.  Narrowed it down to one of the desks and pin-pointed it in the left master channel of the CX.  I unpatched them both and pulled the MX3242a out again.  I guess there are things some Yamaha doesn't do well at.

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 05:26:34 AM »
Thanks for the replies!

You are welcome.
I work setting up conferences and exhibitions and see time and time again Soundcraft desks being used for short installations, mainly Signatures.  I know what those things get put through and I think without a doubt they will outlast a Behringer in a studio situation!  My first Bheringer desk lasted about 5yrs in a studio.  The Soundcraft desks last easy that long in constant touring mode.  That said, my current Behringer has been running since 2003, only just spluttering slightly this year.

One thing that really gets me about cheaper desks these days is the 60mm fader throws.  What's with that?  And everyone seems to be doing it, not just Behringer.  Even the larger models from the likes of Allan & Heath and Mackie are armed with the 2/3 length faders.  I know it saves money and space, but if I'm going to spend over a grand on a desk, I want 100mm faders (says the guy who just bought a desk with 60mm faders).  What can you fit in a 40mm strip anyway?  A cable tidy?
All in all I know I'm going to have to lay down the big bickies for a decent 24+ channel mixer soon.  I spend enough on the instruments, they deserve proper representation in my studio.

Interesting note: I've had a couple of Behringer desks and was a little stigmatised by it, so thought I'd swap to a different cheap desk manufacturer.  I bought a Yamaha MG (CS) desk, which was okay for about a week before I realised that the channels leak.  Sorta pushed that issue under the carpet and continued.  Then I needed to expand, so bought another Yamaha, but this time an MG (CX) 2nd hand.  I gave it the once over in the guy's studio and it sounded fine, no noisy channels, faders or pots.  I had hoped that maybe the earlier model of the same desk might not have the same spill issue, but alas it to suffered from channel leakage.  Then after about a month I just couldn't work out where all this noise was coming from in the left channel.  Narrowed it down to one of the desks and pin-pointed it in the left master channel of the CX.  I unpatched them both and pulled the MX3242a out again.  I guess there are things some Yamaha doesn't do well at.

Actually I was going to follow down the same rabbit hole in considering a Yamaha MG Mixer earlier in my selection process  also but the size of the pots/knobs seem really small and am I really stepping up from a Behringer mixer with the Yamaha?

Read many unflattering reviews from various sources and your own description which I feel confirms my initial suspicion!
It's a shame as one of my highly prized synths is a Yamaha CS15 so yes maybe mixers are not there specialty!

Soundcraft Signature 16 and above have the 100m faders which will be nice also.

Appreciate the extra information as it really helps me dissect all the information out there.

Regards

Tim

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 06:46:09 PM »
I have two very old SoundCraft mixers.  One is a Notepad and the other is a 16 channel without inboard effects.  Both have been very reliable, trouble free mixers.   I have seen others use the SoundCraft mixers in very demanding live situations and they always live on to see another gig. 

Don't have any experience with the recent lines but my experience with SoundCraft is very good.
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.