State Of The ARP

LoboLives

State Of The ARP
« on: June 14, 2017, 11:21:57 AM »
With the analog resurgence in effect does anyone else feel that Korg's ARP department is missing the ball? It seems a lot of companies are somewhat backtracking when it comes to developing synths. It seems a lot of companies are going back and sort of releasing "new synths" which are essentially just updated versions of their older models. For example the Rev 2 is an updated Prophet 08, the Moog Subsequent 37 CV is just a Moog Sub 37 with more CV connectivity, The Korg ARP Odyssey FS is just a fullsized re-issue of the Odyssey.

These improvements are frankly things that should have been on the original synths to begin with. It seems like such a small progression in terms of development and frankly some of these seem like a waste of R&D.

Moog seems to have been spinning it's wheels and I highly doubt we'll ever see a Polyphonic Moog any time soon (about as likely as Roland releasing another analog Jupiter)

But ARP....this is something that I've been flabbergasted at for not being more active. Look how much history and instruments ARP has developed in the past...why not a new string machine? 2600? or an updated Quadra? or a newer version of the Chroma (perhaps a multitimbral version) ? We are having a resurgence now and it seems like company after company is missing the ball. I'd like to see someone else in the analog polysynth market than DSI (and not Beheringer  ;) ) and yet all we are getting is a bigger sized synth? ARP are not independent they have Korg's help and with as many toys as Korg turns out why can't they put a bit more effort into their ARP department. Can't tell me the market isn't there.

It's frankly frustrating to watch. I want these companies to succeed and I don't want to see them missing an opportunity to strike while the iron is hot. Like anything, as fantastic as DSI synths are I would like more variety in my polyphonic set up....can't have the Prophet name on everything ;)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 11:24:49 AM by LoboLives »

Re: State Of The ARP
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 12:12:00 PM »
With the analog resurgence in effect does anyone else feel that Korg's ARP department is missing the ball? It seems a lot of companies are somewhat backtracking when it comes to developing synths. It seems a lot of companies are going back and sort of releasing "new synths" which are essentially just updated versions of their older models. For example the Rev 2 is an updated Prophet 08, the Moog Subsequent 37 CV is just a Moog Sub 37 with more CV connectivity, The Korg ARP Odyssey FS is just a fullsized re-issue of the Odyssey.

These improvements are frankly things that should have been on the original synths to begin with. It seems like such a small progression in terms of development and frankly some of these seem like a waste of R&D.

Moog seems to have been spinning it's wheels and I highly doubt we'll ever see a Polyphonic Moog any time soon (about as likely as Roland releasing another analog Jupiter)

But ARP....this is something that I've been flabbergasted at for not being more active. Look how much history and instruments ARP has developed in the past...why not a new string machine? 2600? or an updated Quadra? or a newer version of the Chroma (perhaps a multitimbral version) ? We are having a resurgence now and it seems like company after company is missing the ball. I'd like to see someone else in the analog polysynth market than DSI (and not Beheringer  ;) ) and yet all we are getting is a bigger sized synth? ARP are not independent they have Korg's help and with as many toys as Korg turns out why can't they put a bit more effort into their ARP department. Can't tell me the market isn't there.

It's frankly frustrating to watch. I want these companies to succeed and I don't want to see them missing an opportunity to strike while the iron is hot. Like anything, as fantastic as DSI synths are I would like more variety in my polyphonic set up....can't have the Prophet name on everything ;)

You can't please everyone.

If Moog had issued a "Special Edition" Sub 37 with CV connectivity, rather than a Subsequent 37 CV, there would have been divided opinions nonetheless (notwithstanding the monetization of the necessary / additional firmware development) on the branding / upgrade path, etc.

As for the Odyssey FS, Korg clearly failed on the cheap keybed design (it sure ain't a Pratt-Read J-wire, or the later version that was similar to the PPG Wave 2).

But to your last point–maybe that iron is already cooling, and folks are ready for something new. I personally like the Modal Electronics stuff, and I think that Arturia is moving in the right direction.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

LoboLives

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 08:01:54 PM »

You can't please everyone.

If Moog had issued a "Special Edition" Sub 37 with CV connectivity, rather than a Subsequent 37 CV, there would have been divided opinions nonetheless (notwithstanding the monetization of the necessary / additional firmware development) on the branding / upgrade path, etc.

As for the Odyssey FS, Korg clearly failed on the cheap keybed design (it sure ain't a Pratt-Read J-wire, or the later version that was similar to the PPG Wave 2).

But to your last point–maybe that iron is already cooling, and folks are ready for something new. I personally like the Modal Electronics stuff, and I think that Arturia is moving in the right direction.

That's true the MatrixBrute is a step in hype right direction...I wonder...could we see a PolyBrute next year?

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 02:36:04 AM »
I do like Arturia's steps with their hardware (geddit, steps?)  I'm still in two minds on the Drumbrute, but I do like the sound of their mono's.  I've got a Minibrute and every few months throw around the idea of a Microbrute (always a space issue though).  I really would love to get an Origin, even though it seems to have been forgotten about by Arturia.
I think the Matrixbrute has started to push them into the realms of Waldorf's end-of-90's beasts; synths that are made to programmed on a very deep level that are on every synthesiser enthusiast's want list.

Speaking of string machines, I bought a Streichfett last month and have to say, we need more string machines in this hardware revival.

It is nice that Korg have stopped with the MS-20's and moved onto creating new machines.  Too bad the Monologue isn't really analogue.

For me, it's just nice to have more than just super expensive dream machines and workstations finally available again.  Helps with the 2nd hand market also, heheheh.

LoboLives

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 03:30:48 AM »
I do like Arturia's steps with their hardware (geddit, steps?)  I'm still in two minds on the Drumbrute, but I do like the sound of their mono's.  I've got a Minibrute and every few months throw around the idea of a Microbrute (always a space issue though).  I really would love to get an Origin, even though it seems to have been forgotten about by Arturia.
I think the Matrixbrute has started to push them into the realms of Waldorf's end-of-90's beasts; synths that are made to programmed on a very deep level that are on every synthesiser enthusiast's want list.

Speaking of string machines, I bought a Streichfett last month and have to say, we need more string machines in this hardware revival.

It is nice that Korg have stopped with the MS-20's and moved onto creating new machines.  Too bad the Monologue isn't really analogue.

For me, it's just nice to have more than just super expensive dream machines and workstations finally available again.  Helps with the 2nd hand market also, heheheh.

It would be nice to see Waldorf or ARP bring out an actual analog string machine. I just wish Korg would do a full sized analog synth.