Rev 2 or Prophet 6

Rev 2 or Prophet 6
« on: June 11, 2017, 09:53:02 AM »
Hi

I am considering a Rev 2 or a Prophet 6 and am looking for some advice to help me pull the trigger on one or the other.

I will mainly be using the DSI synth for Chords. My band's productions typically revolve around a Moog Minitaur for Monophonic Bass and an Electric Guitar for Lead Melodies (we are primarily an instrumental group so the electric guitar tends to take the role of the lead vocalist). Since lead guitar, monophonic synth bass and polyphonic synth chords are the 3 core elements of our music (aside from drums), I want a very rich, solid analog synth to lay the chordal foundation for our productions.

Secondary elements of our music include drones, pads, arpeggios, sequences, plucks, etc. I currently use VSTs such as Xfer Serum, Spectrasonics Omnisphere, and U-he ACE and DIVA for those sounds. Depending on the sound, I would consider replacing some of these secondary elements with sounds created by the Prophet...though the most important consideration for my purchase is the core element of chords.

While it seems reviews suggest the Prophet 6 is the superior sounding synth, it seems many of the artists I listen to use the Prophet 08, so there must be a reason why they choose that synth over the 6 (i.e. Radiohead). I'd like to hear a bit more about the differences between the synths from a sonic standpoint from those of you who have experience with both. I understand the differences in the synths from a technical standpoint, though I'd like to hear some opinions on whether the Rev 2 or 6 is more suited to my specific use.

I'm considering the Prophet 6 desktop version, since I typically compose directly in Midi with a mouse and just use a keyboard to sketch my ideas (I use a basic Novation 61 key midi controller). When we perform live, the Moog and DSI will be triggered via Midi directly from Ableton, so having a keyboard isn't really essential for performance. Though I'd consider the keyboard version if it will hold it's value better in the long run...any thoughts on Keyboard version vs Desktop for my situation?

Thanks!

Re: Rev 2 or Prophet 6
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 08:28:19 AM »
Having now played both, I'm glad I made the decision a few months ago to sell my Prophet 6.

I think the Rev2 narrows the perceived gap in sound quality between the '08 and 6, and it's a much more creative synth in my opinion.  The flexibility of a third envelope, 4 LFOs and a mod matrix cannot be underestimated. I consistently hit up against the limitations of the 6, whereas the '08 and now the Rev2 have room to accommodate everything I want to do when programming a synth. The ability to layer, for example, a drone or arpeggiated sequence with played or sequenced chords may also be useful to you.

Fwiw, the Prophet'08 has been my go-to synth for chord sequences for the past few years.

Although I also tend to sequence everything, I find the keyboard a huge help for trying out ideas and exploring the depths of a synth. It inevitably feels a bit more like an instrument and more inspiring to play with than a desktop. The Rev2 keybed is really great quality too. The only overwhelming reason for going with a desktop, imo, is if space is limited. :)

LoboLives

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 04:51:50 AM »
I have yet to play a Rev2 so I can't make specific comparisons but overall my thoughts are I'm glad I got the Prophet 6 (easily my favorite synth).

I see the Rev2 as a nice companion but as far as comparisons go I like the P6 layout much better. No menu, random patch access and just everything on the front.

The Rev 2 does have more options tho which is nice. It has some features I wish were on the P6. Specifically the ability to raise and lower the oscillator's pitch via the mod wheel...except I dislike the fact the mod and pitch wheel are so high up as opposed to on the side.

Splits and Layers are nice as well.

Comparing the sound....I think that comes down to the designer to be honest. I never like saying "this synth sounds better" because all synths are different and the great thing about synthesis is it doesn't sound like one thing. The best way to compare the synths is go to initialize a patch and see how fast you can start to create your own sounds. Try it three times with three different patch ideas. See what one speaks to you.

Once the Rev2 is in the store here I'm going to head down to do just that. I always do that before even trying out any presets (which are usually awful).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 04:53:32 AM by LoboLives »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 07:14:54 AM »
It seems to me that Prophet '08/Prophet Rev2 and Prophet-6 would make an ideal combination, since what one lacks the other has.  The two would together cover virtually the entire sonic territory of analog synthesis, regarding both monophony and polyphony.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 07:19:56 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

dsetto

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 07:35:50 AM »

The best way to compare the synths is go to initialize a patch and see how fast you can start to create your own sounds. Try it three times with three different patch ideas. See what one speaks to you.
good suggestion for someone deciding

dsetto

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 07:48:41 AM »

Quick digression: and only for hypothetical reasons as I'm not looking.
Are you able to describe somewhat easily what the P6 has that the OB6 doesn't? ... I'd rather not open up this box by looking elsewhere.  But I am curious enough to file it away.

I know that the filters function differently. My notion from what I've read from other users is the P6 can cover a wider range of sounds, comparatively speaking. I have a very small glimpse of their different sonic "auras". (Due to filter and oscillator.) and the rest is same, basically.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 08:17:04 AM »
In terms of features, this comparison chart says it all:

https://www.davesmithinstruments.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/DSI-Synth-Comparison-Chart-4.2.pdf?x72411

In terms of sound, they substantially differ, obviously due to the filters.  It's rather difficult to objectively describe the two.  The Prophet-6 stands firmly on classic Sequential Prophet ground, having the same rich character.  Some have described it as darker and warmer than the OB-6, and that seems accurate.  The OB-6 has a brighter fizzier quality, which is very distinctive, but it seems difficult to get away from this character created by those "leaking" upper frequencies.  Whenever I hear an OB-6 pad, I see piles of sand in my mind!  It's the image that follows the sound of the filter.  I'd say you either love it or hate it.  The P-6 seems more flexible, and the Ob-6 more limited and, therefore, recognizable. 

Personally, I was at first very much attracted to the OB-6.  It definitely is sonically unique among Dave's instruments.  But I tired of the character after listening to many demos because it seemed redundant from patch to patch. Now I find the Prophet-6 to be much more appealing for the characteristics I described above.  It seems to be less confined.  I do love the classic Prophet tone, and the Oberheim as well, but the latter seems a bit too limited in its tonal quality. 

I think these videos offer a decent sense of the Oberheim filter, including with high resonance:

And if you're still interested, here's a fairly detailed comparison:

« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 09:06:01 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2017, 08:51:47 AM »

Quick digression: and only for hypothetical reasons as I'm not looking.
Are you able to describe somewhat easily what the P6 has that the OB6 doesn't? ... I'd rather not open up this box by looking elsewhere.  But I am curious enough to file it away.

I know that the filters function differently. My notion from what I've read from other users is the P6 can cover a wider range of sounds, comparatively speaking. I have a very small glimpse of their different sonic "auras". (Due to filter and oscillator.) and the rest is same, basically.

Personally speaking the reason why I'm not going after an OB6 is exactly because it's too similar to the Prophet 6. Like Sacred Synthesis said, you can get almost any sound you'd like out of the Prophet..including that Oberheim type sound. The OB6...for me it just seems like it's missing something. I'm more interested in an Oberheim Two Voice Pro than the OB6.

The best way to look at it.

Prophet 6-Soundtrack work
OB6-Playing in a band.

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 11:09:39 PM »
a good pro and contra report REV 2 vs Prophet 6, on german-language: http://musikproduktion.net/rev2-vs-prophet-6-ein-vergleich/

« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 11:11:32 PM by samsmith »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 02:29:21 AM »
I have the REV2... have not had the P6, but I've heard demos, and I really would not go for the P6 to be honest, because of several reasons...

You mention that it's main job will be chords... how many keys are you holding down at a time, and even more important: how much release does those sounds have? ... if they have more than a second of release, you'll most definitely experience note stealing with the P6, that is a certainty... here a 16voice REV2 will do you MUCH MUCH better service!

I don't feel the sound difference is enough to choose a P6... the only real advantages I see in getting a P6 is that it's a more hands-on synth, which is more simple (if that is what you need), and of course the slightly different sound (I will not call it more analog sounding, just different).

The REV2 is perhaps a lot more of a sound designers synth... it can do a hell of a lot more types of sound than the P6 will ever be able to, that is also a certainty.

I'm not writing this to diss the P6 in any way, because it IS a very great sounding synth for sure, but if you want polyphony and flexibility, then it looses to the REV2 big time... besides, the REV2 is almost one-knob-per-function, and the biggest minus in this regard is when you switch to edit layer B because then all knobs will not reflect the sound... this is one thing to have in mind... but it also depends on how much this is a problem for you of course.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 09:38:50 AM »
The P6 offers less and cost more. Less keys, less LFOs, less envelopes, less modulations possibilities, less voices.

The one thing it has is great sounding VCOs and filters.
But that's not to say that the REV2 can't sound great too. I have one, and also an OB6. But since the filters on the latter are completely different than on a REV2, both synths don't step on each other's toes in a mix.
(as you can hear in this short demo: https://soundcloud.com/thealien666/blomp-in-the-night)

A good friend of mine has a P6, and I've played it and tweaked it for hours. But I felt it wasn't enough for me. So then came the REV2-16. It doesn't quite sound the same (not inferior, simply slightly different), but everything else on it makes up for it, and as a bonus it costs less.
No brainer for me. But that's a very personal opinion. My friend is perfectly happy with his P6 and he wouldn't want a REV2.

If you can, go try them both in a music store, and make your own well informed decision.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 09:44:40 AM by AlainHubert »
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 01:18:17 PM »
If your considering this for mostly studio work, I'd say its a no brainier in favor of the REV2 since I think the p6 really excels at simple patching and bread and butter sounds.

I briefly considered a P6 myself but for the price and feature difference I really couldn't justify it and I now have and love a Rev2. That being said, the P6 has a few things that appeal to me more and if they were the same price I'd probably have a P6. Maybe some of these points apply to you or if none of them really matter, there really isn't much else in favor of the P6 other than the minor difference in sound.

I love the live mode of the P6. You can turn off the programs (patches) and then every knob sounds like what it looks like. I do most of my synthesizing from a basic patch and typically don't need to make super deep changes to get into the area I like. I play the knobs a lot on the fly as part of the instrument and don't mind loosing my starting point while patching. Having all of the knobs 100% represent their settings would be great for my workflow. I'd probably never leave this mode.

The polymod is really cool. I'm a huge fan of analog FM and the Polymod has slightly more potential here than the Rev2s Audiomod (which can still pretty nice.)

2 effects at once, and a separate analog distortion and high pass filter. To me this is the biggest reason I'd consider p6 over rev2. Rev2 has an ok high pass but it takes up your only effect slot. Having a highpass always available to you in your sound sculpting is super handy. For the kind of ambient washy pads I like doing the most, running chorus + delay + drive on the p6 would put me where I want to be without the need for the deeper modulations of the Rev2.

That being said, I've made and used sounds on my rev2 that I couldn't do on the p6. The modulations are deep yet easy to program. I've had a ton of fun just experimenting with mapping things to things to other things.

Pidcin

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 02:46:41 AM »
Hi

I am considering a Rev 2 or a Prophet 6 and am looking for some advice to help me pull the trigger on one or the other.

I will mainly be using the DSI synth for Chords. My band's productions typically revolve around a Moog Minitaur for Monophonic Bass and an Electric Guitar for Lead Melodies (we are primarily an instrumental group so the electric guitar tends to take the role of the lead vocalist). Since lead guitar, monophonic synth bass and polyphonic synth chords are the 3 core elements of our music (aside from drums), I want a very rich, solid analog synth to lay the chordal foundation for our productions.

Secondary elements of our music include drones, pads, arpeggios, sequences, plucks, etc. I currently use VSTs such as Xfer Serum, Spectrasonics Omnisphere, and U-he ACE and DIVA for those sounds. Depending on the sound, I would consider replacing some of these secondary elements with sounds created by the Prophet...though the most important consideration for my purchase is the core element of chords.

While it seems reviews suggest the Prophet 6 is the superior sounding synth, it seems many of the artists I listen to use the Prophet 08, so there must be a reason why they choose that synth over the 6 (i.e. Radiohead). I'd like to hear a bit more about the differences between the synths from a sonic standpoint from those of you who have experience with both. I understand the differences in the synths from a technical standpoint, though I'd like to hear some opinions on whether the Rev 2 or 6 is more suited to my specific use.

I'm considering the Prophet 6 desktop version, since I typically compose directly in Midi with a mouse and just use a keyboard to sketch my ideas (I use a basic Novation 61 key midi controller). When we perform live, the Moog and DSI will be triggered via Midi directly from Ableton, so having a keyboard isn't really essential for performance. Though I'd consider the keyboard version if it will hold it's value better in the long run...any thoughts on Keyboard version vs Desktop for my situation?

Thanks!

IMO I would get the prophet 6.

People downplay the complexity of the prophet 6 in contrast to the rev 2. Sure it has more LFOs and this and that . But at the end of the day , would you prefer 2 oscillators that sound rich , warm , creamy and massive ? Or 4 that sound perhaps , and don’t get upset , a bit lesser ? And the polymod, and LFO , after touch mod wheel , and other routing options IMHO are ENOUGH , if not more than what most people can actually artistically create and design great sounds with. And trust me when I say If you learn the prophet 6 and how to design sounds properly on it , you’ll realize it’s absolutely timbrally superior than the rev2 for your needs . And for all those big dummies who keep saying but it has 16 voices! Keep in mind .. from a players standpoint , not a synth nerd , that 6 voices is MORE than enough, as you’d never want to play chords that are stepping into bass frequencies , or lead registers , you need it to fit in its own space , and sometimes 3 - 4 notes is just enough, and 6 when you need to take up more space . Either way, I suggest checking out this link, watching these links  from YouTube  vand try to learn the prophet 6 like you already own it , so when you goto the music store and play it for yourself you can play, design and hear efficiently as if you owned it already . And then compare it to the rev 2.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHGZsq10nFV_vumpxOF5NrJH1MkU8d4gT

« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 02:48:20 AM by Pidcin »

Pidcin

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 02:58:59 AM »
Also, I own a prophet 6. And plan on getting the REV 2 . Just to let you know. I use moog , Nord and DSI stuff . And the REV 2 or prophet 12 might seal the gap for certain territory and certain styles

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2017, 04:23:28 AM »
Hi

Thanks!

People downplay the complexity of the prophet 6 in contrast to the rev 2. Sure it has more LFOs and this and that . But at the end of the day , would you prefer 2 oscillators that sound rich , warm , creamy and massive ? Or 4 that sound perhaps , and don’t get upset , a bit lesser ? And the polymod, and LFO , after touch mod wheel , and other routing options IMHO are ENOUGH , if not more than what most people can actually artistically create and design great sounds with. And trust me when I say If you learn the prophet 6 and how to design sounds properly on it , you’ll realize it’s absolutely timbrally superior than the rev2 for your needs . And for all those big dummies who keep saying but it has 16 voices! Keep in mind .. from a players standpoint , not a synth nerd , that 6 voices is MORE than enough, as you’d never want to play chords that are stepping into bass frequencies , or lead registers , you need it to fit in its own space , and sometimes 3 - 4 notes is just enough, and 6 when you need to take up more space . Either way, I suggest checking out this link, watching these links  from YouTube  vand try to learn the prophet 6 like you already own it , so when you goto the music store and play it for yourself you can play, design and hear efficiently as if you owned it already . And then compare it to the rev 2.

Why do you have the need to call people with differing opinions for "dummies"!? ... honestly, if the guy want to play Chords (as I've stated once already), and he is playing other sounds but organ sounds which has a bit of length to them after you release the keys, then 6 voices won't do you good at all... that's a simple fact, unless you like the sound of voice stealing, or have the doe to purchase a module for polychaining ;)

And honestly... the P6 does not sound that much more "creamy" than the REV2 in my ears, which just leads to the ever lasting point, that this is a matter of taste and preference... you have some valid points, but it depends on what you want from your synth for sure... but I sure as hell do not like people refering to me as a "big dummy" just because I favor the REV2... please have some respect!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 04:28:51 AM by Razmo »

Pidcin

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2017, 04:29:23 AM »
Hi

Thanks!

Why do you have the need to call people with differing opinions for "dummies"!? ... honestly, if the guy want to play Chords (as I've stated once already), and he is playing other sounds but organ sounds which has a bit of length to them after you release the keys, then 6 voices won't do you good at all... that's a simple fact, unless you like the sound of voice stealing, or have the doe to purchase a module for polychaining ;)

And honestly... the P6 does not sound that much more "creamy" than the REV2... you have some valid points, but it depends on what you want from your synth for sure... but I sure as hell do not like people refering to me as a "big dummy" just because I favor the REV2... please have some respect!

A bmw or Mercedes , both amazing . Think of me calling someone a big dummy like red Sanford .

Also contextually , based off his personal needs , IMO, the prophet 6, sounds a bit more tuned to that taste.

Sorry for the harsh words my love .

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2017, 04:31:57 AM »
Hi

Thanks!

And honestly... the P6 does not sound that much more "creamy" than the REV2... you have some valid points, but it depends on what you want from your synth for sure... but I sure as hell do not like people refering to me as a "big dummy" just because I favor the REV2... please have some respect!

A bmw or Mercedes , both amazing . Think of me calling someone a big dummy like red Sanford .

Also contextually , based off his personal needs , IMO, the prophet 6, sounds a bit more tuned to that taste.

My love!? ... I'm not so sure you gave that apology because you meant it... I don't really give a shit about your opinion, if you cannot give people some respect for their opinion, so go love your P6 instead little friend. ;)

Pidcin

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2017, 06:06:54 AM »
Hi

Thanks!

My love!? ... I'm not so sure you gave that apology because you meant it... I don't really give a shit about your opinion, if you cannot give people some respect for their opinion, so go love your P6 instead little friend. ;)

Ok... so I guess you don’t know the great comedian from Sanford and son who would say “you big dummyyy” I guess you’re a bit more sensitive . So again, my apologies.

Pidcin

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2017, 06:13:04 AM »
And I do love my prophet 6. And my moog and all the other gear I have . And just like you, I will get a REV2. So if you are upset that I suggested the prophet 6 in the manner I did , and the way I communicated it than again for the second time .

BUT I still stand by my prophet 6 statement ! To my ears , richer , creamer , warmer and more suited to your style . But then again , BMW or Mercedes... both seem pretty damn good to me

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2017, 06:18:29 AM »
Hi

Thanks!

Ok... so I guess you don’t know the great comedian from Sanford and son who would say “you big dummyyy” I guess you’re a bit more sensitive . So again, my apologies.

I'm from Denmark, so I do not follow a lot of comedians from foreign countries ... no... but nevermind, if the apology was sincere, it's accepted... I see no reason to dispute over a pair of synths... I agree that the sound of the P6 is probably "better" (whatever that is)... it is also a synth costing a fair deal more than a 16voice REV2.

I was not dissing the P6 (I actually wrote that in my first reply)... I was taking the topic starter's criteria into account when I wrote what I did, and he also asked what peoples opinion is... I gave mine, and that's about it... choosing a synth in this pricerange is a very personal thing, and I'd advice him to actually try them both out before making his choice (instead of relying on other peoples opinions... their usage may differ greatly from his own).

I just know that I myself also do a lot of chords... in my case it's ambient music where almost all pad sounds have looooong release tails on them... I just bought the 16voice upgrade for the 8-voice version I bought, simply because that 8 voices is too little for me... I get lots of note stealing, especially when using two layers...

Would I love to have the P6 oscillators and filters in my REV2!? damn yes! ... I just do not think I'd be able to afford it :D