Roland Juno 106

Roland Juno 106
« on: June 10, 2017, 05:24:30 AM »
Thinking of my 10 year son as a potential user, I got a cleaned up Juno 106. The geeks here might disapprove, but the user interface and sound of this instrument is simply amazing. How you can generate all this with so very few sliders... Amazing.

chysn

Re: Roland Juno 106
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 05:43:27 AM »
I can't imagine anyone disapproving of a Juno 106, and it's hard to imagine a more elegant way to learn subtractive synthesis.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

chysn

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 05:44:53 AM »
And also... nice move buying a synth for "educational purposes." I've done that before. Wink wink.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 10:43:42 AM »
And also... nice move buying a synth for "educational purposes." I've done that before. Wink wink.

Has anyone here tried this line with their significant other? I'm willing to give it a go if it nets me something good in return.

High risk, high reward!

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 11:41:46 AM »
Just be prepared for the infamous chip breakdown of this synth... they are covered in a resin that makes them heat up and start failing... it WILL happen at some point in time, unless you have it exchanged with the clone chips you can buy these days...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 12:38:58 PM »

Has anyone here tried this line with their significant other? I'm willing to give it a go if it nets me something good in return.

High risk, high reward!

I ran this technique by my wife last night, and she picked up on it immediately.  Nope, it wouldn't work here.  The Irish women are too sharp and suspecting.

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 01:38:00 PM »
Just be prepared for the infamous chip breakdown of this synth... they are covered in a resin that makes them heat up and start failing... it WILL happen at some point in time, unless you have it exchanged with the clone chips you can buy these days...

The Analogue Renaissance clones are now every bit as good, especially as regards the filter resonance tracking that was identified with previous versions; I replaced all six / three of mine for consistency's sake, and the unit sounds great!

Also–do not fail to consider the HS-60 / Juno-106S units; the built-in speakers can be quite handy (though I ended up replacing the drivers on my HS-60), and they don't affect the sound quality of the main outputs.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 02:25:26 PM »

The Analogue Renaissance clones are now every bit as good, especially as regards the filter resonance tracking that was identified with previous versions; I replaced all six / three of mine for consistency's sake, and the unit sounds great!

Also–do not fail to consider the HS-60 / Juno-106S units; the built-in speakers can be quite handy (though I ended up replacing the drivers on my HS-60), and they don't affect the sound quality of the main outputs.

Yep... I replaced two in my MKS-30 when I had it... could not hear any difference... exept for the difference that should be there in analog :)

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 05:52:25 PM »

Yep... I replaced two in my MKS-30 when I had it... could not hear any difference... exept for the difference that should be there in analog :)

I saved my spares for said MKS-30 :)
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2017, 03:38:15 AM »

Does not work with my wife :-) But, it actually works with my son. just 1 VCO to worry about, very few sliders, and every permutation of them sound pretty much good on a 106.

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2017, 03:39:11 AM »

I got a refurbished one, even with a new set of sliders free of crackle, the only thing it is missing is new-car-smell...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2017, 04:06:18 AM »

I got a refurbished one, even with a new set of sliders free of crackle, the only thing it is missing is new-car-smell...
Nice... but still... if the chips are the resin covered originals, they will start to crackle at some point and eventually start to fail with time... it's just nice to know this if you start to hear crackling someday... I had two chips in my MKS-30 that failed...

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2017, 09:37:27 AM »
it's just nice to know this if you start to hear crackling someday...

:-) Living dangerously