Mellotron?

LoboLives

Mellotron?
« on: June 09, 2017, 08:13:43 AM »
I'm really falling in love with the new digital Mellotrons. There's something really haunting about the sound of them and I think they fit beautifully next to analog synths. The string and vocal samples next to an Oberheim or Moog remind me a lot of the soundtracks for The Boogeyman, Maniac or even some Goblin scores.

The issue I have is the price. I love the simplicity of the layout and the design but this thing costs well over $3k for me (Canadian dollars) and frankly I just don't get why. It's a basic OS with just over 100 samples. No sequencing abilities, no arpeggios, no major programming ability at all. How can this thing costs the same amount as an analog synth or Kurzweil or Nord? I'm not sure if it's worth the investment.

What are your thoughts on it?

chysn

Re: Mellotron?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 08:29:37 AM »
Thing I've never understood about a Mellotron is: How is it not just a lo-fi sample playback instrument with characteristic samples? Play back samples, maybe model some tape artifacts?
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 09:36:01 AM »
It's been a few years since I've had a Nord, but even five years ago they had excellent Mellotron samples in several of their instruments... as well as a licence agreement to advertise the name. You would be able to get the samples in a cheaper instrument, and it would also be able to many other sounds well.

http://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-libraries/nord-sample-library-archive/mellotron/mellotron-voices

http://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-libraries/nord-sample-library-archive/mellotron/mellotron-strings

LoboLives

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 10:35:45 AM »
Thing I've never understood about a Mellotron is: How is it not just a lo-fi sample playback instrument with characteristic samples? Play back samples, maybe model some tape artifacts?

I mean unless they are actually going to incorporate tape with a new design I don't really know what the price is justifying here.

LoboLives

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 10:36:49 AM »
It's been a few years since I've had a Nord, but even five years ago they had excellent Mellotron samples in several of their instruments... as well as a licence agreement to advertise the name. You would be able to get the samples in a cheaper instrument, and it would also be able to many other sounds well.

http://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-libraries/nord-sample-library-archive/mellotron/mellotron-voices

http://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-libraries/nord-sample-library-archive/mellotron/mellotron-strings

Yeah...it just seems bizarre that the Mellotron is so expensive...I mean even the mini one which is made of plastic is over $2k...like how?

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 09:21:15 PM »
There would be a bit of patch programming involved too.  I had this idea I was going to make a Mellotron-like sample bank on my e5000 some years ago.  Got so far before getting bored and thinking I'd just create the same sounds on the XTk and use the extra envelopes for the wow and flutter of tape stretch.

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 11:48:35 PM »
I have used Redtron, https://sites.google.com/site/artifakelabs/, on a few tracks. It is a VST plugin, but sounds quite reasonable and of course is free as in gratis.
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

LoboLives

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 08:33:41 AM »
There is a guitar pedal company called T Rex pedals that just brought out a new tape delay using actual tape. Curious if they could ever do this with a newer more compact Mellotron?

chysn

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 11:33:11 AM »
I'm currently reading The San Francisco Tape Music Center: 1960s Counterculture and the Avant-Garde, which features an essay by the recently-deceased Pauline Oliveros, one of the founding members of the Tape Center. In her essay, she references an instrument called the Chamberlin Music Master, on which she performed in 1964. Her description of the Chamberlin as a keyboard-based tape loop playback instrument sounded a lot like the Mellotron, so I read up on the Chamberlin.

The Chamberlin was invented about ten years before the Mellotron came out, and the tape-loop playback idea was patented by Harry Chamberlin, who basically devoted every waking hour to refining the concept. The original Chamberlin instrument sounds were recordings of the Lawrence Welk Orchestra.

The maker of the Mellotron (at the time, a tape head manufacturer) got the idea from a Chamberlin salesman, who conveniently failed to disclose that he didn't actually invent the thing. Hurt feelings and legal kerfuffle were followed by a settlement, and the improved Mellotron hardware won out in the market with artists.

But now I know who Harry Chamberlin was.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 03:15:10 PM »
I'm currently reading The San Francisco Tape Music Center: 1960s Counterculture and the Avant-Garde, which features an essay by the recently-deceased Pauline Oliveros, one of the founding members of the Tape Center. In her essay, she references an instrument called the Chamberlin Music Master, on which she performed in 1964. Her description of the Chamberlin as a keyboard-based tape loop playback instrument sounded a lot like the Mellotron, so I read up on the Chamberlin.

The Chamberlin was invented about ten years before the Mellotron came out, and the tape-loop playback idea was patented by Harry Chamberlin, who basically devoted every waking hour to refining the concept. The original Chamberlin instrument sounds were recordings of the Lawrence Welk Orchestra.

The maker of the Mellotron (at the time, a tape head manufacturer) got the idea from a Chamberlin salesman, who conveniently failed to disclose that he didn't actually invent the thing. Hurt feelings and legal kerfuffle were followed by a settlement, and the improved Mellotron hardware won out in the market with artists.

But now I know who Harry Chamberlin was.

Some bloke playing one of them things...

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 01:20:02 PM »
I used to own the rarest Mellotron ever made, the Mellotron 4 Track.

This post brings back memories of the sound and the repairs.

https://soundcloud.com/the-aural

https://www.facebook.com/auralproductions/

Ensoniq SQ80, Kawai K5, Yamaha CS6x & DX200, Alesis ion, Akai Z4, DSI gear: {Evolver Desktop, Poly Evolver Keyboard, Mopho x4, Tempest}, Waldorf Blofeld & Streichfett, Moog Freqbox, Roland R8 & R8m

LoboLives

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 09:25:37 AM »
This is neat

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 10:19:41 AM »

And the smell, and the smell! Warm, dusty oil! I don't know anything about the 4-Track model. Do tell!

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 09:02:19 PM »

And the smell, and the smell! Warm, dusty oil! I don't know anything about the 4-Track model. Do tell!

There were only 4 of the 4 Track models made before the company went out of business. It wasn't the original company but the 2nd incarnation of the company, from my understanding.

The concept behind the 4 Track was that you could use a standard 4 track reel-to-reel to make your own tapes. Perhaps a good idea but a bit late as digital samplers began arriving.

Additionally instead of being able to select only one sound/track at a time you could combine/layer any combination of the 4 tracks. As you may know the older Mellotrons had a rotary selection knob only allowing you to select one sound at a time.

I was also given a blank, unpopulated voice card with the machine. It may had indeed needed it because one channel had an intermittent problem with one card. It was a simple double sided circuit board and I had considered copying it to have a spare but I eventually sold the machine to a guy on the East coast of the U.S. (I lived in Los Angeles at the time).

The 4 Track was very clean - no excess oil and dust. I bought it from the original owner, a guy named Jim Purol who used to do a show called "Jim The Mouth" (if I remember correctly) in San Diego, California.

He had 2 other Mellotrons, if I remember correctly.... an M300 perhaps and another....

He used the Mellotron for sound effects during his radio shows.

it was in surprisingly good condition. He had a custom case for it but I didn't buy it..... in hindsight I should have. It didn't have any major issues except that one channel/card. The heads were good and still aligned.
https://soundcloud.com/the-aural

https://www.facebook.com/auralproductions/

Ensoniq SQ80, Kawai K5, Yamaha CS6x & DX200, Alesis ion, Akai Z4, DSI gear: {Evolver Desktop, Poly Evolver Keyboard, Mopho x4, Tempest}, Waldorf Blofeld & Streichfett, Moog Freqbox, Roland R8 & R8m