Prophet 12 is Amazing

Prophet 12 is Amazing
« on: June 09, 2017, 10:01:36 PM »
I just have to say that I still think that the Prophet 12 is the best synth that DSI has made to date. It has endless possibilities. What ever the perceived flaws, you can turn them into sonic wonder.

Re: Prophet 12 is Amazing
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 09:56:45 AM »
Agreed.  With all the modulation possibilities I think of it as my polyphonic modular monster in a box.  In fact, not sure if I've shown this before, but as an aid to wrapping my head around the P12 I created a mock up of what a P12 front panel could have looked like had it been an actual modular.  Whenever I begin a new P12 project I always bring this out and keep it nearby for reference of just how powerful and flexible this dream synth is  8)

The double circle parameters represent on/off buttons and the large circles represent knobs.  My favorite part though, the circles with arrows pointing in represent mod destinations, while those with arrows pointing out represent mod sources.  I look at this and just imagine it with a jungle of patch cords everywhere   ;)

« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 10:00:37 AM by WytchCrypt »
Mutiny in Jonestown, Progressive Rock Since 1987:

Bandcamp: https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 05:16:57 PM »
I agree. All my friends swoon over the P6 and OB6, but they're just not appealing compared to my P12.

Quai34

• FORMER PROFESSOR AT THE UNIVERSITY OF SAINT-BONIFA
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 04:33:36 PM »
@Witchcript:

Do you have a pdf version of your drawings, it's great but I was not able to copy and paste the pictures, it says blank when I want to past it on a word sheet?
Oups, no, I'm good, no need...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 04:36:24 PM by Quai34 »
Stage 2, NL2X+TC Pedals, Nord C2, Matrix 1000 X2, Proteus 2000, Prophet 12 & P08//Tetra+Eventide H9, TX802, Roland D50+PG1000, AX5080, AX keytar, Waldorf Streichfett, 2 Yorkville PS-10P, Bass: Ibanez SR1200+G&L L2000. Guitars: G&L Legacy HSS, Asat Blueboys, Asat Deluxe Savanna, Ibanez Artstar AS153

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 02:12:46 AM »
I had to chip in on this thread. I am not a 'normal' user - I only want 1 synth that does a fantastic range of timbres, and I never use EQ or FX boxes.

25+ years of DX7 and I could always tweak one of my 250+ voices to suit, and personalise the mod pedal to give a suitable range of timbre. None of my voices sounded particularly like the ones that others used, and my most common techno questions from fans was "which synthesisers do you use".

Now the DX7s have died and I have created over 200 Prophet 12 quadraphonic voices with 5 pedals and all the other expression controls. I cannot imagine ever buying another synth again, it is as if Dave Smith read my mind and built my ideal machine.

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 03:04:13 AM »
I had to chip in on this thread. I am not a 'normal' user - I only want 1 synth that does a fantastic range of timbres, and I never use EQ or FX boxes.

25+ years of DX7 and I could always tweak one of my 250+ voices to suit, and personalise the mod pedal to give a suitable range of timbre. None of my voices sounded particularly like the ones that others used, and my most common techno questions from fans was "which synthesisers do you use".

Now the DX7s have died and I have created over 200 Prophet 12 quadraphonic voices with 5 pedals and all the other expression controls. I cannot imagine ever buying another synth again, it is as if Dave Smith read my mind and built my ideal machine.

Would love to try out some of your P12 patches.  :)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 11:24:56 AM »

Fascinating.  I like your resourcefulness in drawing from a single instrument all that you musically need.  Most of us use 5% of our multiple instruments' potential, whereas you exploit so much more.  I'd be interested to know more about your approach and experience here:

http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,223.0.html

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 11:53:21 AM »
@Witchcript:

Do you have a pdf version of your drawings, it's great but I was not able to copy and paste the pictures, it says blank when I want to past it on a word sheet?
Oups, no, I'm good, no need...

Cool.  Just let me know if you need me to email you the pdf  ;)
Mutiny in Jonestown, Progressive Rock Since 1987:

Bandcamp: https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/