Headphone Amp White Noise

Headphone Amp White Noise
« on: June 09, 2017, 09:18:16 PM »
Just got my REV2 16voice today  ;D . It's what I had imagined and way way more. Sounds out of this world !!!

One thing I noticed is that when I connect my headphones there is a constant white noise on the right side. This noise is independent of the volume control and of patch loaded. I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this or maybe this is a manufacturing defect on my unit.

Thanks

Re: Headphone Amp White Noise
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 09:26:48 AM »
Just got my REV2 16voice today  ;D . It's what I had imagined and way way more. Sounds out of this world !!!

One thing I noticed is that when I connect my headphones there is a constant white noise on the right side. This noise is independent of the volume control and of patch loaded. I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this or maybe this is a manufacturing defect on my unit.

Thanks

Been using headphones while traveling with my 16-voice and there is nothing you describe happening on mine; totally quiet. Contact support and/or where you bought it for exchange, definitely sounds hardware based

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 04:43:01 AM »
I also have this exact issue! Noise on the right side when I use the headphone jack. The stereo outputs seem to be clean.

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 10:40:15 AM »
Same issue on mine, white noise on the headphone out, main outs are clear!
Synth Arsenal - Access Virus TI Polar, Moog Sub37, Nord A1, Nord Wave, DSI Prophet REV2, Roland TR8, Ableton Push 2

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 12:11:44 PM »
Same issue too, headphones are noisy but main output is clean...

Devourer

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 03:29:45 PM »
I have IEMs and I hear constant white noise, but also phaser type effect oscillation on certain patches. That's somewhat expected with analog synths. The real worrisome part is at 1/3rd volume I start hearing a constant buzzing that after notes have been triggered changes into a constant chord-like noise that never goes away. It can also be heard through my speakers at higher volumes. I contacted customer support and was told that this is normal bleed through. Has anyone else experienced this?

stb

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 11:50:59 PM »
I contacted the support (which responded super fast, thanks Dan!) about the white noise on the headphone jack because I was experiencing it on my unit as well. It seems to be a known software issue that is going to be fixed in the upcoming update. Good news, I think!

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 12:54:09 PM »
This issue has been fixed with an OS update. Get the new OS here.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

Devourer

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 04:06:38 PM »
Can anyone with in ear monitors or isolating headphones tell me what their noise floor is like? It's easiest to check on the basic patch by holding down on the transpose and then clicking the hold button. If your unit is like mine, then you should hear a constant buzzing without playing anything and then a constant note hum after playing something starting around 1/3rd volume.

Much appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 04:17:00 PM by Devourer »

cbmd

• Sequential
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 04:14:53 PM »
The noise floor of the instrument will be heard regardless of the OS update.  The OS update fixed an issue with an imbalance in the noise floor wherein it would be louder in one earphone when the master volume was set to zero.  It does not eliminate the noise floor's overall audibility in normal use.
Product Designer
Sequential | Oberheim

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 01:07:47 PM »
Same issue on mine, white noise on the headphone out, main outs are clear!
sorted with the new firmware update :)
Synth Arsenal - Access Virus TI Polar, Moog Sub37, Nord A1, Nord Wave, DSI Prophet REV2, Roland TR8, Ableton Push 2

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 07:36:51 PM »
Thanks all for your feedback. Here's an update...(maybe too late, but hopefully it's helpful)

Since I was the guinea pig with this issue I had to send my REV2 back to San Francisco  :-[. After testing it DSI concluded it was a miscalibration issue in the software. They were able to fix it quickly and send it back. Now it's really quiet and the annoying white noise is gone. Andi from Tech Support did an outstanding job helping me sort out the issue. Thanks Andi !!

By the way, in the process of recording test signals, they mentioned that the headphone signal is just a branch of the main outputs. So if you're hearing it on the headphones, the noise is also happening on the line outs.

I'm glad it was a software issue and that most of you didn't have to go through the pain of having to send your baby out for service !

Cheers !
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 07:39:40 PM by mxrman »

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 06:30:57 AM »
I had the same issue, louder hiss on the right than left in headphones, and updating to OS v1.0.6.2 seems to have "fixed" that, in so far as both headphone channels now have the hiss. I don't have any hiss when plugin my headphones in any other outputs... anybody else notices this?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 06:49:23 AM by vberthiaume »

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 05:35:16 PM »
I don't have any hiss when plugin my headphones in any other outputs... anybody else notices this?

What do you mean by any other inputs?.

The headphones output is a branch of the main outs so their signal path is identical. The noise floor is more noticeable in the headphones because is getting amplified through the headphones amp.

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 02:12:53 PM »
I just bought a pair of Audio Technica M50x's and when plugged into the headphone jack of the Prophet there is a large amount of hiss, even when the volume knob is set to 0. Is this normal? If not, are there any suggestions to solving this problem?

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2017, 10:19:02 PM »
Update your firmware, this solved the problem for me.

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2017, 07:42:00 AM »
Hey there!
I've just purchased a prophet REV-2 8 voices and I've tried it this morning. Same problem as you guys, a white noise on the right side. I don't know what to do, and what stresses me out is that I live in France, that I had to pay 339€ for extra taxes and the synth is not working properly. I'm waiting for a reply from both the seller (JRR shop) and DSI to know if I should return it to them and if I should spend some more money to do so. Unfortunately I go on vacation tomorrow and I won't be able to take care of this issue before 15 days.
So I wanted to know if any of you who encountered the same problem installed the last OS, and if it sorted it out (I'm not at home, so I can't do it myself). I have one of the earliest OS (1.0.0.2).
I pray I won't have to send it back to the states and find myself broke... ;)
Thanks anyway for your replies.

Milky Way Studio

• Combining artistry with sonic mastery.
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2017, 08:13:44 AM »
moodysky, you'll need to download the latest Rev2 firmware:

| Bug Fix: Noise floor louder on one channel on all outputs.

http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,1531.0.html
MILKY WAY STUDIO | Galaxy Class Sound

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2017, 12:19:26 PM »
Thanks for your response Milky Way Studio.
I've been trying to update my rev-2 for three hours now. There is no way I can get to the 100%. I've tried everything, dozens and dozens of different values within the Low level output buffers of Midi Ox. I get stuck at at 99% everytime with the number 1023 on the left. I've tried two different OS and I can't figure out why it doesn't work. Any idea?
Thanks again.

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2017, 04:06:37 PM »
Oh it's okay now, I've finally found a solution. Cheers! ;)