Detuning

Jason

• Bandmix
Detuning
« on: December 11, 2015, 05:40:25 AM »
I noticed in one of StarskyCarr's videos that he detuned by adjusting just the second oscillator (keeping the first oscillator at 0 I believe), while what I had been doing was detuning each oscillator equal amounts (e.g., the first to 3 and the second to -3). Is there a preferred way of doing this? Another valuable thing I noticed was how to detune in stacked mode, which is very helpful. If detuning this way, is it advisable to keep the regular oscillator fine tuning at 0 or do you usually detune there as well?
Thanks.

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Detuning
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 07:02:54 AM »
Your method of tuning is actually better, in that the instrument is kept closer to standard A 440 pitch.  That's especially helpful if you're playing with other musicians.  But if you work alone, leaving the main oscillator at 0 and tuning the others either up or down is easier and save time.

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 03:39:15 AM »
Interesting point... If the oscillators are a different levels I tend to keep the main one at O, so the root is loudest. At such small increments it's probably not an issue, but detuning both ie -3,+3 instead of 0, 6  is probably better if the voices are the same volume.

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 04:30:53 AM »
Any opinions on the second question?  When detuned in stacked mode, do you usually keep the regular oscillator fine tuning at 0 or do you tend to detune there as well?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 11:27:55 AM »
Ideally, it's always best to follow the method of + and -, rather than only +.  In stack mode, I'm often detuning a width of twelve digits.  This is obviously necessary for string patches.  So, I follow the method of keeping everything as close as possible to "0," so that I'm tuning in the +6 and -6 range, rather than the +12 range.  This makes sense even if you don't play in an ensemble but alone,  since it will help to keep the one synthesizer in tune with your other instruments.