desktop evolver midi note problems ?

desktop evolver midi note problems ?
« on: June 08, 2017, 03:48:01 PM »
For some reason I can do legato or trill with my desktop evolver ...am I missing something? is it how the evolver is ? should i be able to pres one note then when I press another (whit the first one down still) sound the next note ..? all I get is cutt off ..

chysn

Re: desktop evolver midi note problems ?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 06:07:41 PM »
Look to the Key Mode parameter. What you want is probably one of the two "last note hit" modes (LA and LAr), depending on how you want the envelope to behave.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 12:25:43 PM »
I'm now having a similar problem. I've been mixing up my MIDI arrangement - now I'm using the Prophet 6 MIDI out into a Kenton Thru-5 box, with the Evolver taking MIDI input from there. The Evolver isn't triggering all notes, and I've switched to the modes suggested by Chysyn, LA/LAr. Still no luck. The Evolver only triggers cleanly if I play in a staccato manner. I tried taking MIDI out from the P6 directly into the Evolver's MIDI In, but same result. I've had the Evolver for a couple years by now, never had this triggering issue before.

Anyone have further thoughts?

dslsynth

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 02:04:58 PM »
Check the MIDI output on P6 with a MIDI monitoring program connected to the MIDI-Out port of P6. You need a good quality USB/MIDI adapter cable for that. Check that P6 always send the MIDI notes that you play. Using the most recent P6 OS may help. Check P6 globals.

Use a reliable MIDI note source connected directly to the MIDI In port on the Evolver.

Please check the polychain settings on the Evolver to make sure it off.

Make sure the played program on the Evolver makes sound even for low velocity values. Watch out for single step sequencer modes and similar fun.
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 02:35:56 PM »

Please check the polychain settings on the Evolver to make sure it off.

Polychain for the win! Indeed, that was the issue. Thank you, dslsynth!

I must've tweaked the Polychain setting when I was mucking about on the P6 with Param Xmit turned on.

dslsynth

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 02:45:34 PM »

Cheers! Its a classic. Once saw a user reporting an Evolver setup were every N'th note was dropped. Turns out polychain was set wrong due to a misunderstanding of the number of voices being specified for polychain.

Another classic is the PotMode global where users wonder why the knobs behave so strange.
#!/bin/sh

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 03:05:34 PM »

Cheers! Its a classic. Once saw a user reporting an Evolver setup were every N'th note was dropped. Turns out polychain was set wrong due to a misunderstanding of the number of voices being specified for polychain.

Another classic is the PotMode global where users wonder why the knobs behave so strange.

I didn't actually (or knowingly, anyway) go near any of the settings, Polychain and beyond, on the Evolver itself. I had the Prophet 6 acting as master, not noting that as I tweaked parameters on the P6, it was sending all manner of madness to the Evolver at the same time. I've turned Param Xmit on the P6 to off, having possibly learned my lesson! Evolver is once again running like it ought, and sounding like it should! Lovely creature, that thing!

chysn

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 05:10:11 PM »
I had the Prophet 6 acting as master, not noting that as I tweaked parameters on the P6, it was sending all manner of madness to the Evolver at the same time.

That seems like the sort of beast you could tame with the right twisted kind of patience.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 05:48:59 AM »
I had the Prophet 6 acting as master, not noting that as I tweaked parameters on the P6, it was sending all manner of madness to the Evolver at the same time.

That seems like the sort of beast you could tame with the right twisted kind of patience.

Well, to be honest, I'm hardly the beast taming sort when it comes to half this stuff! It was far more a case of "Oh, look! This knob makes... uh... wait, why's it doing that? Where'd the other sound go? Hey, is that the kettle? Well, let's shut this down and make tea happen. Click." Having said that, I did tidy up my studio the other day and everything is far more accessible. The Evolver is no longer serving as tiny table, and I'm having a fine time digging back into it. What a gorgeous sounding instrument. Still, keeping Param Xmit turned off on the P6 is wise for the while!

dslsynth

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 11:16:18 AM »

Now that is an interesting error situation. Well, if you needed a patch (semi-)randomizer you got it! ;)
#!/bin/sh