LFO's are incredible now!!

idm

LFO's are incredible now!!
« on: June 08, 2017, 06:04:29 AM »
Just wanted to say that the LFO's are truly amazing now since last updates. They stay in sync very well and somehow something changed to the freerunning mode (restart off and sync off)  which now works even when the sound isn't locked to a voice. It's strange though. It doesnt seem to really restart on note on, but it doesn't really seem like freerunning either. It's something in between which I'm really really digging.

I'm not sure how and what it does. But it is very cool :)

In sync mode and restart off, the LFO's don't restart either, even when they aren't locked to a voice. Again, really nice!

Don't change it! :D loving it! Creating some amazingly weird  poly patches and crispy percussive noisy loops with them.

idm

Re: LFO's are incredible now!!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 06:25:34 AM »
Ah yes it's 6(x2) LFO's free running  which gives a very cool effect imho. Loving it. Not sure if this was possible before but I don't think it was. You had to lock the sound to a voice to experience a free running lfo.

Thanks Carson :)

LucidSFX

• Drifting is fun with cars not with MIDI Clock.
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 07:49:49 AM »
I have noticed this too but I have not tried it on an 8bar pattern and left it running for extended periods...I am happy to assign a voice if needed though...

So far I find this last release very stable.
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

RobH

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 08:03:11 AM »
I love the lfos on the Tempest make sure to try the random lfo set to note tip I left in the patch thread it sounds amazing!

Another thing I think sounds phenomenal is to make a nice noise snare with long decay then use a square wave at around 8ths or lower on the vca or lowpass with 127 amount for the sickest sounds!!! Again set to note. Once you have a nice sound try the other lfo just the same but using a different division like 3qusrters or some funky offset for amazing rhythmic sounds!!!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 08:08:49 AM by RobH »

LucidSFX

• Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 08:16:47 AM »
So a voice assign is still required;) LOL. I had to test this out before I left for work. It would have bugged me all day.

Not that it matters cause it always was mentioned to function like this but the sync is tight.

Funny with my one bar beats I never noticed but it safe to say that I wasn't listening....

Eitherway...very stable.

Edit: so if you program a beat with one sound 16th (8bars) hats sample and use LFO square 4qrts sync play or beat assigned to frequency 127, the top row pf pads plays high the bottome pads play low. All is fine if that is the only sound but as soon as tou touch another pad the lfo wonks out. Using this pattern above plugin 5 other sounds to use up the other voices and voila! Wonky LFO - unless you assign to a voice.

Again EXPECTED behaviour;) All good.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 08:22:53 AM by LucidSFX »
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

idm

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 08:56:37 AM »
 right. True. But Try the same playing a sound polyphonicly without other sounds playing.

Works like a charm :)

This is because of the LFO's per voice. And is indeed to be expected. I guess I have a pretty wacky way of using my T as I don't use it as a main drum machine but rather as a combination  of a glitch box, industrial percussion module, and 4 Voice poly at the same time.

This way I lock glitch rhythms and the percussion each to their own voice and at the same time play a pad polyphonic. :)

The LFO's flipping put is also something Im fond of. :P
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 09:07:20 AM by idm »

RobH

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 09:08:39 AM »
I guess I have a pretty wacky way of using my T as I don't use it as a main drum machine but rather as a combination  of a glitch box, industrial percussion module, and 4 Voice poly at the same time.

This way I lock glitch rhythms and the percussion each to their own voice and at the same time play a pad polyphonic. :)

id love to hear some stuff!!! Especically what industrial sounds you manage to get percussion wise!

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 12:45:28 PM »
One thing I have noticed when using high-speed LFOs is that they aren't very predictable, but I assume this is normal functionality?  Like if I modulate Osc 1 Freq with LFO 1 set to 161 and amount at 127 I get a consistent FM sound, but a rate of 162 sounds like nothing is happening at all sometimes.  Like at the 162 rate, if I hit the pad 8 times in a row, maybe 5 of them will sound like the expected FM modulation and then 3 of the hits will sound like a plain old saw wave.

LucidSFX

• Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 01:59:03 PM »
What happens of you hit the pad 9 times? *grin*

I'll check this out too. Could Wave reset be needed?
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

RobH

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 02:31:24 PM »
Is there a seperate level for the VCA control anywhere? Like i'm not sure how i was doing it before (maybe i was just using the lowpass) but i was using the lfo and a square wave to create like on/off sounds. I love the sound of the VCA i must admit i think it distorts the sound but i'm not sure where the actual vca seperate level control is (or if there is one)? I tried the amount, the feedback volume and neither let me set the vca to zero so i can use it fully as a volume  control on the lfos.

I do get some useable sounds with it but if i can have a seperate control for the vca it would be awesome, im guessing there isn't one as i've used the Tempest for a while and can't think of it, but is there one?

How does the vca actually work in the scheme of things because in the manual its before the amp and after everything else but like i said i cant work out if there is an indvidual control for it to set it to zero sometimes like you would a filter (or any other cv based shit) so the modulation voltage has full effect.

edit - Is there a way to do what im talking about using the mod matrix?

also, when using noise in the mod matrix whats the best things to assign it to for pure distortion purposes is there a best way to achieve noise sounds?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 02:37:09 PM by RobH »

LucidSFX

• Soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 03:02:01 PM »
Try patching noise to Freq +127 then use high pass or low pass filter. You can use Aux Envlops and LFO's to modulate filter sweeps. I think for more distorion effects use feedback and a little Filter Modulation knob. <- going from memory...
LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 03:05:31 PM »
What happens of you hit the pad 9 times? *grin*

I'll check this out too. Could Wave reset be needed?

Hah.  Maybe wave reset would help, haven't tried it, but I imagine it has more to do with the LFO than the oscillator.
Just to be clear, to repro what I was experiencing:

1. Be in ADSR mode and load a sawtooth wave into Osc 1.
2. Set LFO 1 to a Triangle wave and put the rate at 162, and set the amount to 127.  Assign it to Osc 1 Freq.

I tried putting the LFO in different start modes and assigning it to a voice, but it didn't really seem to make a difference.

LucidSFX

• Soundcloud
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 08:28:55 PM »
@AdamX  - I Confirmed result using MainOS: 1.4.5.12

Setup:

ADSR mode on or off has the same effect.
Wave Reset doesn't solve the issue.
OSC1: Saw C3
Amp: 20A 64D Amount 30 (any setting here will work. Including ADSR mode...I used 20A to eliminate clicks)
LFO 1: TRI Rate 162 Amount 127 Dest: OSC 1 Freq. Sync mode off. Restart Note.

TEST:
Press pad numerous time or have roll on...
Results you can hear high/low pitch. Change rate to 161 and you have expected result.

Solution:
This is only a byproduct of using NOTE restart. With LFO restart mode set to anything else the expected result is achieved. The Shape of the LFO doesn't seam to make a difference to this result but it is easier to hear using the Triangle LFO shape.

Observation:
On another note, when using different LFO rate I notice that the tone of the sound changes dramatically.

Example:
160 = low tone
159 = lowest tone
158 = high tone
157 = highest tone

OR

140 - higher tone
141 - lower tone
144 = lower tone
148 = higher pitch

Generally speaking when you increase the rate past around 110 you start to hear FM tones. Increasing the rate tends to change the tone from low to high but some specific rates jump tones from high to low then jump high again.

I suspect this is the nature of the LFO effecting FM of the OSC and not a flaw. Kind of like looking for a sweet spot where the rate provides pleasing results. Would anyone venture an opinion on the subject?

LucidSFX

-----------------------
current hybrid setup
-----------------------

2 x Technics 1200 MK7
Allen & Heath DB4
Allen Heath K2
Tempest
VirusTI2
RME UFX
Adam A7
SP2400 (on order)
Glenlivet 18yr scotch

RobH

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2017, 08:10:47 AM »
I worked out that the amount level in the amp envelope somehoe does come before the vca lowering that or just reducing the envelope decay to 0 set the vca level to zero so you can get full effect with it using the lfos, somehow though im not getting the same groove with this method as i was in earlier patches not sure exactly whats different but i was getting a lot more rhythmical outcome than i am now. Weird.