Recording Pro 2 parameter values in Logic

Recording Pro 2 parameter values in Logic
« on: June 08, 2017, 02:56:29 AM »
Hi there,

I'm having some issues recording parameters from my Pro 2 in Logic Pro.

At first, i was noticing that whenever i turned a knob on the Pro 2, no matter which it was, it was being registered in Logic's Midi Activity display as the same controller, number 38.
I.E. I would turn the Filter 1 Cutoff knob, and Logic would recognise it as receiving control number 38. I'd then tweak the Filter 1 Resonance knob, and it would still recognise it as 38. This was causing all sorts of issues when recording parameter changes into Logic in real time. I also checked this in the Midi Monitor app, and got the same results.
I then found that in the Global menu on the Pro 2 i could change the MIDI Param Send and Receive modes from NRPN to CC. So i tried that, and Eureaka, i could now record different parameters separately into Logic.
However, I've now noticed that not all parameters on the Pro 2 are registered at all in Logic. For instance, Logic doesn't recognise any incoming Midi data when turning any of the Filter 2 envelope knobs, or any of the LFO section knobs.
So i feel like i'm "halfway" to where i want to get, which is to be able to record any of the Pro 2's knobs in real time in Logic.

Does anybody have any suggestions in what i might be doing wrong here, or is this just a limitation of the combination of the Pro 2 and Logic?

I case it helps, I'm running Mac OS 10.12.4, with Logic 10.3.1.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Re: Recording Pro 2 parameter values in Logic
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 10:23:45 AM »
Hi,

Really its a limitation of the number of CCs available for the P2 to use and logics inability to understand NRPNs correctly.

Do a search on NRPN and Logic and look at the transformer.

MDMA

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 12:48:35 PM »
Wow! So are you telling me that Logic cannot read all of the Pro 2s messages without you telling it what they are?

Logic has some awesome plugins bundled into it, but is full of issues like this. Audio card drop outs was the one that made me switch.

Is there a simple workaround for this? Or do you need to learn the transformer program?
DSI Rev2, Moog sub 37, Roland JDXA, DSI Pro 2, Novation Ultranova, Access Virus TI, Roland Juno 106, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg KingKorg

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 01:49:57 PM »
Recording NRPNs into logic as automation CCs doesn't work well if you are recording more than one to a track. It should record the data ok and play it back ok but editing it is a pain in the arse. With transformer you can convert NRPNS to CCs in order to edit them easier.

Is your problem that it doesn't record and playback the data correctly or that editing it is not working?

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 04:32:15 AM »
Thanks a lot for the responses.
It's the editing that's the problem. I hear the various different parameters changing when playing back, but it's impossible to edit individual parameters after recording.
I'll look into the transformer option you suggested.

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 03:17:09 AM »
Have submitted a support ticket to DSI. Hopefully they can tell me the solution.